Rams News & Notes: Finishing OTAs in Oxnard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams News & Notes: Finishing OTAs in Oxnard

By Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

After three weeks, the Rams’ nine OTA practices have come and gone. The players are now officially on summer vacation before the team gets back together at the end of July for its first training camp back in Southern California. But before everyone took off, head coach Jeff Fisher held one final press conference to wrap up the offseason program. Here are some of the key takeaways from his comments.

GOFF ON THE RIGHT TRACK

Rookie quarterback Jared Goff has made plenty of progress, according to Fisher. The No. 1 overall pick has been working more with the first-team offense in the Rams’ last three sessions, which is something the head coach indicated would happen a few weeks ago.

“I think he’s flourished in that environment,” Fisher said.

Fisher noted Goff’s most significant area of growth has likely been his understanding of the playbook. The tools, according to Fisher, have always been there.

“It’s just learning the system and then applying it to what we would call a fairly sophisticated defensive system. That’s hard,” Fisher said. “If you just line up and play two coverages, things come along quicker. But that’s not our nature. So we may adjust a little bit during camp, but I thought that was the biggest thing as far as he is concerned, was just that he started figuring some of the stuff out we were doing faster.”

While there are obvious expectations that come with being the No. 1 overall pick, Fisher maintained Thursday his usual stance with highly drafted players: Goff will play when he’s ready. He may start Week 1 or he may not.

“He can start anywhere from the opener to whenever,” Fisher said. “And we haven’t changed our philosophy on that. We’re going to coach him to be successful. We’re not going to put him in with a chance to fail. That’s the most important thing in developing a young quarterback.”

And the QB reps will continue to vary as the Rams begin training camp after summer break.

“Case is our starter right now, so Case needs first-team reps,” Fisher said. “And to give Jared an opportunity — and Sean for that matter — to run with the first team, it’s easier to evaluate them. So we’ll change things up. And once we get in there, we’ll make some decisions as to who plays when and how much in the preseason.”

INJURY UPDATES

Last week, cornerback Trumaine Johnson left practice after a collision with a wide receiver. While he hasn’t participated in an OTA session since, Fisher provided good news on him Thursday afternoon.

“If we were going to practice tomorrow, he’d practice tomorrow. That gives you a sense,” Fisher said.

Fisher added Johnson had a laceration on his chin and his “jaw got rocked a little bit,” which made putting on a helmet a challenge. But the cornerback has been running and training to stay in shape.

“He’ll be fine,” Fisher said.

Otherwise on the injury front, Fisher had more encouraging news on the rest of the roster.

“I’m pleased with the progress with respect to some of the injured players,” Fisher said. “I don’t think there will be anybody that’s going to be unable to participate in camp, which is good.”

WRAPPING UP IN OXNARD

As some have said over this offseason, the Rams are in some ways nomads. With the offseason program complete, the club will be moving out of Oxnard before heading south for training camp. Fisher said the team was able to get what it needed to accomplished in large part because of the hospitality it received at the temporary facility.

“It was much better than what we expected,” Fisher said. “Everybody here that’s associated with this football team — and we’re talking about the food preparation, and the housekeeping, and the security — everything was outstanding. And I can’t appreciate that any more. I thought they did a great job.”

Fisher said he was particularly pleased with the way the players adapted to what could have been tough circumstances with the relocation process.

“I just complimented them on No. 1 their participation, attendance, and commitment because it was the best since we’ve been here,” Fisher said. “We had a couple minor little issues here and there, and you guys are familiar with that. But by and large, everybody relocated out here and they committed to this offseason program, and they did an amazing job.

“The next step, as they know, is off time — as is the case for 31 other teams,” Fisher continued. “They’re going to be out there for four or five weeks, however long that is. So their responsibility now is to take care of themselves, continue to train, and get ready for training camp. And we’re going to bring our rookies in a few days earlier than the vets will come in and we’ll hit the ground running at camp.”