Rams New Look O-Line Is Reason For Hope [Cover32]

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Rams New Look O-Line Is Reason For Hope

Nick Fox
Cover32Mar 26, 2017, 2:17 PM
http://cover32.com/2017/03/26/rams-new-o-line/
5c5a8dce9458eb0dd48b3d60b0a36a60

Andrew Whitworth Tackle, Los Angeles Rams
(through aggressively yelling at the TV), the Rams moved quickly, signing perhaps the top LT Free Agent available in Andrew Whitworth from the Bangles in the opening ours of free agency on March 9th. After making an offer to C Ryan Groy of the Bills, which Buffalo would ultimately match, the Rams added veteran center John Sullivan as a stop gap and to help transition the line to McVay’s system. Thus, having added several new starters to this group, consider how they look going into camp.Rams new head coach Sean McVay and returning GM Les Snead have clearly identified the offensive line as a key area in need for improvement this offseason. As if every fan hadn’t already identified this weakness (through aggressively yelling at the TV), the Rams moved quickly, signing perhaps the top LT Free Agent available in Andrew Whitworth from the Bangles in the opening ours of free agency on March 9th. After making an offer to C Ryan Groy of the Bills, which Buffalo would ultimately match, consider how they look going into camp.

Projected Starter (difference from last year)

LT Andrew Whitworth (Major Improvement): Whitworth joins as not only one of the top Left Tackles in the league last year, but a reason to bump former #2 overall pick Greg Robinson down the depth chart. The downside with Whitworth? He is an old man (35) and the Rams will be lucky to get 2 good years out of him. In the meantime, he shores up one of the most important positions on the field and provides leadership in the locker room.

LG Roger Saffold (Even to Slight Improvement): Though Saffold started the season at LG last season, he moved around a lot as the utility lineman, even starting a couple games at LT. Though you wouldn’t think the same guy starting could be an upgrade, consistency of position and better play around him could lead to a solid year for Saffold, if he can stay healthy (injuries have been a consistent mark of Saffold career thus far).

C
(Slight to Significant Improvement): This is the position that is still pretty unclear. For a while I expected the Rams to sign a stopgap veteran like John Sullivan (who has visited). That could still happen, or the Rams could draft someone on day two. Either way, two things are all but certain: (1) they will add players to this position group and (2) it will be an upgrade. While Tim Barnes brought a blue-collar work ethic and hustle to the O-line, he was mostly offering backup level talent with flashes every now and then. Rhaney has had chances, but couldn’t beat out Barnes. Adding a veteran stopgap or a day 2 pick could be a significant step forward for this line.

RG Jamon Brown (Even to Slight Improvement): Some hope that Greg Robinson makes the move to right guard, as McVay/Snead suggested he would move to the right side. However, I think Brown wins the position, and with better play around him contributes to a better season than previously. Another candidate for this spot is Cody Wichman.

RT Rob Havenstein (Even to Slight Improvement): After a solid rookie year, Havenstein had a sophomore slump. I sound like a broken record, but more consistency around him and another year with professional level coaching should allow Havenstein to put forth another solid season.

(yes, you read that correctly). That was Boras’ first game as OC where TG put up 140 yards rushing and two scores against the Lions. Since then, Gurley has gone over 80 yards only twice. Certainly a big part of this comes from the abysmal offensive line play. But might we also assume that a big part of this has to do with who was leading the offense and calling the plays?

“feed Gurley” and get the most out of the young star. The new bodies up front (i.e. Whitworth and Sullivan) will help as well, but don’t under estimate the ability of a gifted offensive mind to create opportunities and capitalize on talent. McVay seems primed to “feed Gurley” and get the most out of the young star. The new bodies up front (i.e. Whitworth and Sullivan) will help as well, but don’t under estimate the ability of a gifted offensive mind to create opportunities and capitalize on talent.

. Look for Gurley to return to his rookie of the year form—where he rushed for 1,100 yards in 12 starts—in 2017.Consider: Washington had 3 players average over 4.0 yards per carry last season (R. Kelley, M. Jones, Chris Thompson) with at least 350 yards rushing. The most successful of these, third round Rookie out of Tulane Robert Kelley, had 704 yards and 6TDs. News flash: Todd Gurley is better at football than Robert Kelley. Look for Gurley to return to his rookie of the year form—where he rushed for 1,100 yards in 12 starts—in 2017.

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Should have read this more closely.I removed some inaccuracy's.
Still a mess.My Bad.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Interesting, the article says we've added Sullivan already.

fearsomefour

Legend
Saffold, Brown and Havenstein need be a lot better than "even or slight improvement".
I think McVey and staff will match scheme better with skills and hopefully coach them up better because all were not
Good last year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
RG Jamon Brown (Even to Slight Improvement): Some hope that Greg Robinson makes the move to right guard, as McVay/Snead suggested he would move to the right side. However, I think Brown wins the position, and with better play around him contributes to a better season than previously. Another candidate for this spot is Cody Wichman.

RT Rob Havenstein (Even to Slight Improvement): After a solid rookie year, Havenstein had a sophomore slump. I sound like a broken record, but more consistency around him and another year with professional level coaching should allow Havenstein to put forth another solid season.
The most interesting battle will be if Rob Havenstein can hold of the former #2 pick at RT.....I pretty certain Jamon Brown will be the RG.....
This guy sounds clueless...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'll say this in truth there is no telling how this new Ram OL is going to look like other than Andrew Whitworth being our starting LT. I do believe that Aaron Kromer is drooling with all this possible young potential he has signed in here. What we know from the last two seasons could be turned upside down as to how all this shakes out by the opening game.

At LT Whitworth is a sure starter but AK has many OL'ers who have some talent to be AW's main back up with Pace Murphy/ Darrell Williams/ Rodger Saffold/ Greg Robinson & even Andrew Donnal. That's a good size load that AK can select from to make that LT post solid now & maybe into the future.

At LG most seem to think that Rodger Saffold is the starter I would not bet on that either. The large thick run blocker Jamon Brown is a natural LG, Greg Robinson is looking for a starting post and he has always been on the left side & knows nothing else of the other world of the right. Others who have line up in NFL games & seen play @ LG are Cody Wichmann & Andrew Donnal. Wichmann was appointed the LG starter very early in OTA's, TC & pre season. That five possibilities right there.

At RT there I understand the concern over the declining performance of Rob Havenstein mostly due to his inability to pass block in 2016.So McVay has suggested GRob to enter the mix as possible starter. Havenstein's main back up the last two seasons is Andrew Donnal who might have replaced Rob last season if he had not been busy filling in for injuries of Saffold & Wichmann @ RG & LT. If Saffold is bumped out of LG, AK might prefer the veteran Saffold starting RT too. Pace Murphy also saw action as a starter @ RT & Darrell Williams was starting RT in 2015 when he was injured & placed on IR. Thats 6 RT's named in this post already. But I will add this in if big Rob 6-8 325 pounds is now fully healthy he stands a good chance to remain AK's starter here.

At RG it pretty much the same as I said in the LG paragraph but you now might include Rob Havenstein to go with other possible prospects i.e Rodger Saffold, Jamon Brown, Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal, David Arkin & Greg Robinson. That's 7 names to throw out there.I have no ideal just how the open center post will turn out yet but as you can see there are many ways this can turn out & it may remain fluid for some time into pre season.I would look for some very big surprises AK is not Paul Boudreau!

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
For me the jury is still "out" on Havenstien. He's slow and stiff and might be better off inside.

Only OL position that's a lock is LT, There will be surprises on who starts and where when TC breaks.

I just hope its better than last year. (Don't see how it could be worse).

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
What did I just read?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'll say this in truth there is no telling how this new Ram OL is going to look like other than Andrew Whitworth being our starting LT. I do believe that Aaron Kromer is drooling with all this possible young potential he has signed in here. What we know from the last two seasons could be turned upside down as to how all this shakes out by the opening game.

At LT Whitworth is a sure starter but AK has many OL'ers who have some talent to be AW's main back up with Pace Murphy/ Darrell Williams/ Rodger Saffold/ Greg Robinson & even Andrew Donnal. That's a good size load that AK can select from to make that LT post solid now & maybe into the future.

At LG most seem to think that Rodger Saffold is the starter I would not bet on that either. The large thick run blocker Jamon Brown is a natural LG, Greg Robinson is looking for a starting post and he has always been on the left side & knows nothing else of the other world of the right. Others who have line up in NFL games & seen play @ LG are Cody Wichmann & Andrew Donnal. Wichmann was appointed the LG starter very early in OTA's, TC & pre season. That five possibilities right there.

At RT there I understand the concern over the declining performance of Rob Havenstein mostly due to his inability to pass block in 2016.So McVay has suggested GRob to enter the mix as possible starter. Havenstein's main back up the last two seasons is Andrew Donnal who might have replaced Rob last season if he had not been busy filling in for injuries of Saffold & Wichmann @ RG & LT. If Saffold is bumped out of LG, AK might prefer the veteran Saffold starting RT too. Pace Murphy also saw action as a starter @ RT & Darrell Williams was starting RT in 2015 when he was injured & placed on IR. Thats 6 RT's named in this post already. But I will add this in if big Rob 6-8 325 pounds is now fully healthy he stands a good chance to remain AK's starter here.

At RG it pretty much the same as I said in the LG paragraph but you now might include Rob Havenstein to go with other possible prospects i.e Rodger Saffold, Jamon Brown, Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal, David Arkin & Greg Robinson. That's 7 names to throw out there.I have no ideal just how the open center post will turn out yet but as you can see there are many ways this can turn out & it may remain fluid for some time into pre season.I would look for some very big surprises AK is not Paul Boudreau!

I don't think expecting improvement is too much to ask. In 2015 they seemed to be improving towards the end of the season. It was not unreasonable to think Guys like Havenstein, GRob, Brown and Wichmann would be better in 2016. For whatever reason none of them improved and some regressed. Gurley regressed too.

Was it the players who regressed? Was it the system? The coaching? Some point to all of the above. But I have wonder something. How much did the relocation affect them? The distractions from Hard Knocks? Not having a permanent home to practice? Perhaps there is more to that than we think.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Whatever the best lineup turns out to be, I hope they determine it early and stick to it rather than chopping and changing as we move from preseason to the season proper!!.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah LG is going to be Brown I think. Has to be. Him next to the seasoned LT is a nice duo in the run game and in the pass game the vet can mentor him during live snaps.

IMO Brown has a really high ceiling. Not as high as GRob, but a much higher chance of actually reaching it.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Top to bottom this is how I would rate our O linemen;
Whitworth
Havenstein
Saffold
Brown
Robinson
Wichmann
Donnal
Rhaney
Williams
Murphy
Arkin

Notes;
Guard David Arkin is a 30 year old journeyman vet who did train as a center in his first year with Dallas. Not much upside in keeping him.

Pace Murphy has ideal tackle size and has always over achieved.

The Rams were very high on OT Darrell Williams prior to his injury in '15.

C/G Rhaney is undersized and maybe more suited for a strict zone-blocking system.