Rams needs going into draft week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
QB will be taken care of unless... NO!

Looks like Goff in the 1st round.

We've got 4 picks. 2 in the 4th, 2 in the 6th. We've got more needs than that though. Here we go:

WR: We need a starting slot receiver and a developmental depth guy.
TE: We need a starting TE or at least a pass-catching TE to allow Kendricks to maintain his role and fit in the offense.
Center: We could use another center even if Barnes keeps the job

DT: We desperately need a 3rd DT.
LB: No real depth at LB. Hager and Lynch are JAGS until proven otherwise. Neither are the special teams ace that Darren Bates was. We need at least one LB if not two out of the draft.
FS: We need a starter at FS. None of the other FS have shown they can handle the job yet. I'm loathe to move TJ and think he'll be a liability in coverage. Until I hear the Rams are moving Joyner, I'm not believing he goes their either.
CB: We could use one more for depth and if Gaines can't go, we definitely need one more.

Boys, we got a lot of needs here. A lot. Here's hoping we can flip Foles for a 6th or 7th this year. We are going to be filling out the roster with a lot of UDFA's this year. Let's hope we hit on some.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We've got 4 picks. 2 in the 4th, 2 in the 6th. We've got more needs than that though. Here we go:

TE: We need a starting TE or at least a pass-catching TE to allow Kendricks to maintain his role and fit in the offense.

LB: No real depth at LB. Hager and Lynch are JAGS until proven otherwise. Neither are the special teams ace that Darren Bates was. We need at least one LB if not two out of the draft.
FS: We need a starter at FS. None of the other FS have shown they can handle the job yet. I'm loathe to move TJ and think he'll be a liability in coverage. Until I hear the Rams are moving Joyner, I'm not believing he goes their either.
CB: We could use one more for depth and if Gaines can't go, we definitely need one more.

Boys, we got a lot of needs here. A lot. Here's hoping we can flip Foles for a 6th or 7th this year. We are going to be filling out the roster with a lot of UDFA's this year. Let's hope we hit on some.

Well, there are wants, and there are needs. I don't think the Rams need a new center - they would like to upgrade Barnes if the right guy fell to them, but they actually have depth there.

Offensive weapons are a priority, but again not drafting just to draft. But I'd be shocked if they didn't get at least one pass catcher of some sort, maybe two, and possibly a RB too.

A DB is pretty likely - both as a need and as something Fisher drafts. Finally, I agree that a big body DT to back up Brockers is a need.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

I see it a little differently

WR- slot or outside the need is there. Probably need two since Marquez is the only guy signed past next year
TE- completely agree here.
C- Barnes is solid. Rhaney, Kush, and some other people. There will be a lot of competition, whoever wins the backup will be made better by the tough competition. With limited picks not high up the priority list.

DT- I think they like Westbrooks inside he was playing there before we got decimated by injuries at DE. They also like Trinca-Pasat who they signed to the active roster last year so other teams wouldn't pick him up. All of our DEs besides Quinn can and have played inside. A true backup NT would be nice, but not a desperate need
LB- I don't think they value LB depth that highly. Since Fisher got here the depth at LB has been low round guys, UDFAs and Jo lon Dunbar. Hager and Lynch played 100% of special teams snaps so top 5 LB pretty much locked in. 6th guy is needed, but that role could be filled by an UDFA or cheap vet like in the past
FS- Definitely a need, but there are candidates on the roster capable of stepping up in Joyner, Davis, Bryant, and Mo
CB- Tru, Gaines, Sensabaugh, Joyner, Roberson. That's a solid group. Could be better, but not a dire need.

IMO after we get a QB our only dire needs are WR and TE. With 5 picks we have enough to fill those holes with room left over to get BPAs at other positions of need

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with @StealYoGurley , there are currently 7 LB's on the roster and we only use our starting 3 about 35% of snaps. There IMO is absolutely nothing wrong with our LB depth. I would like to see the 5 picks spent on QB, WR, TE, FS, DT. If they want to bring in a center they can get a decent one for competition as an UDFA.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with @StealYoGurley , there are currently 7 LB's on the roster and we only use our starting 3 about 35% of snaps. There IMO is absolutely nothing wrong with our LB depth. I would like to see the 5 picks spent on QB, WR, TE, FS, DT. If they want to bring in a center they can get a decent one for competition as an UDFA.

Gotta say man, I don't think any of those LBs behind our starting 3 can start a game for us with any success if those guys go down. Just cause we've got the bodies doesn't mean we've got the depth.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta say man, I don't think any of those LBs behind our starting 3 can start a game for us with any success if those guys go down. Just cause we've got the bodies doesn't mean we've got the depth.
And I agree to an extent I just don't prioritize the LB situation ahead of any other position. To me it's the least of our needs.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, I'm skeptical of getting anybody able to start with success (at least their rookie season) where the Rams are drafting. Most likely to do so in the secondary, just because Fisher has shown he can pluck good talent there late. Ditto if they want a good RB, given this offseason. Less likely to have success at other positions.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Realistically,
TE, WR, DT/DE, CB....needs...not in that order....

I see a bunch of udfa's with a chance to make the practice squad this year...

DB16

UDFA
Name
Dennis B.
You should keep in mind, all those I drafted, each time will get like 20 walk ons. People have found starters like that too. We may get lucky.

We need Receiver and Tight End.

Safety is still a question mark. There's that whole Donte Whitner thing going around. I still expect him to be signed soon. If not, Joyner is a huge possibility.

Center is okay. Barnes did better towards the end of the season last year.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Personally think it's a few more positions than that.

Quarterback is obvious.
Safety. We lost our starter. Whitner could fill the gap - or Joyner or Alexander - but I feel he's a bit of a TJ McDonald style safety and we would do better with two safeties whose styles complement each other. It's really a shame to have lost McLeod actually. He really developed from nothing into a real good player.

Defensive end - again we've lost a guy in Long (and Fairlry I guess) which means we need depth.

Wide receiver. Need more than Austin and Britt. Quick is a huge question mark, as is Stedman Bailey if he can ever come back, and really Marquez is still unproven. Even if they all come good we still could upgrade Britt and really need a reliable no 1 target who can help his QB out in jump ball situations and red zone.

Tight end - again - lost the incumbent. We've got a lot of blockers but no hybrid freak tight end that is a mismatch nightmare.

Center - Barnes is the starter. Could do with being pushed by a good rookie?

lockdnram21

Legend
Wr. My hope is Quick plays like he did in 2014 before injury. Many say he got shut down but I think it was more of teams were figuring out Austin Davis. I think Tavon will be more of a receiver this season especially when him and Goff get some chemistry. Britt played better as season progressed and was thrown short of a couple TDs. I think 1 by Files and Keenum. I would like to add Mike Thomas or Pharoa Cooper or Rishard Higgins in the 4th.

TE. I think we need a Team but I think Kendricks will be used more in passing game. Hell with Goff I think he could have a Gary barnidge like cone out party. But if Higbee drops to our pick in 4th snatch him. I also like Thomas Duarte.

nighttrain

Legend
. Hell with Goff I think he could have a Gary barnidge like cone out party.

dont understand this
train

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would like to see the Rams find a way to get a 2nd and 3rd round pick!!
IF they don't pick up some god FA's this week!

nighttrain

Legend

Scooby Wright should be available in the forth round

Scooby Wright , inside LB, should be on the board in the forth round
good pick i think
train

WestCoastRam

Legend
With the depth in this draft at DT too, I'm not sure there won't be a defensive tackle there in the 4th that will be BPA by a far margin compared to anyone else. I could see us taking a guy like Matt Ioannidis or Adolphus Washington with the 1st pick in the 4th.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I've seen projections all over the play for Scooby. Could go before us in 4th could be there later. No 5th round pick though :(

ausmurp

Starter
Almost all teams have backups who shouldn't start. I don't view that as an issue and don't count that against depth, and I doubt most teams do either.

Fact is, we are about to be forced to dish out some big paychecks in the coming yrs to Donald, Ogletree, etc., and the Rams are dumping their future picks to account for this. It's a smart move, we can win with what we have after we add QB and WR/TE. I think we trade up again using our 4th rd picks and future picks, to snag the right guy. Can't wait for the excitement, this draft is going to be very entertaining because the NFL is holding teams back from reporting their picks, and even some trades from what I've heard, until the draft.