Rams need to sort out mess at wide receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
zn said:
Sorry. I probably didn't clarify my standpoint well enough. I meant that Quick was the closest thing we have to a number one wide receiver on this team. He reminds me of Brandon Marshall talent-wise. Obviously, he isn't there yet, but I think he'll get there sooner rather than later.

Salas could be an outside guy, but I like him better in the slot. It gives him more opportunities to use his natural skills (catching short to intermediate passes and letting his speed and strength take over from there).

I like Pettis a whole lot. I don't see Colston in him, though; Colston is much bigger and is a much better possession receiver. In my opinion, Pettis is a Jordy Nelson type (probably won't reach that exact upside, but he's definitely comparable to Nelson); like DR said, he's a real threat when it comes to fade routes. He won't wow you with speed, size, strength, or overall athletic prowess, but he's a smart receiver with extremely good hands. I agree that the offseason last year affected him a lot, and I see him as extremely motivated to prove doubters wrong on the field.

But, see, I don't think Salas's natural skills are restricted to that. Paradoxically, it seems that way because so far we have only seen him in the slot. I think he has the same general physical skill set as Hines Ward, though maybe with niftier feet, and Ward was never just a slot guy. Plus it looks to me like Salas has good actual game speed. Pettis, IMO, does have top natural talents--including quick feet and a very wide catching radius.

OK 15 post penalty for exceeding five syllables

Anonymous

Memento said:
I like Pettis a whole lot. I don't see Colston in him, though; Colston is much bigger and is a much better possession receiver. In my opinion, Pettis is a Jordy Nelson type (probably won't reach that exact upside, but he's definitely comparable to Nelson); like DR said, he's a real threat when it comes to fade routes. He won't wow you with speed, size, strength, or overall athletic prowess, but he's a smart receiver with extremely good hands. I agree that the offseason last year affected him a lot, and I see him as extremely motivated to prove doubters wrong on the field.

This is fun cause we're all just trying to get a picture of the guy.

Here's what I mean by the Colston comparison. (Though remember I said "a poor man's Colston" but amped it up to be a "dollar store half price sale man's Colston").

Let me explain what I mean.

Marques Colston Scouting Report - Scouts, Inc.

Comment: A seventh-round pick in 2006, Colston became an immediate hit with his ability to make plays at virtually every level of the passing tree. He is a long strider who builds to speed more than being immediate, and will struggle a bit when trying to sink his hips to get in and out of his breaks with a big burst. He knows how to use his size and strength to his advantage and does an excellent job of high pointing the ball to catch in traffic. He has natural soft hands that allow him to catch the ball in all areas and consistently puts the ball away quickly to turn upfield and advance the ball after the catch.

Like this vid on Colston. What you see in this vid is not a lot of pure separation, but it doesn't matter because he catches everything:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCm7p1vSvSw[/youtube]

Compare. What interests me are the catches where both guys are in close quarters with a defender.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfqGvm5PNuY[/youtube]

AUSTIN PETTIS

Separation Skills

A smooth athlete for his size and displays some savvy with routes. However, appears to be a one speed route runner who lacks suddenness and tempo within stem. Concerns about ability to separate from man coverage at the NFL level. Shows above-average recognition skills and can locate seams in zone looks.

Ball Skills

Occasionally traps the ball against frame but generally extends arms and snatches it out of the air. Can open hips and adjust to passes thrown behind him. Can get down and field passes thrown at shoelaces. Adequate leaper and flashes the ability to high-point the ball. Uses frame to box out defenders and can make plays with defenders draped over back. Very efficient red zone target that can win one-on-one battles with the ball in the air.

Big play ability

Long strider that tracks the deep ball well and flashes the ability to make acrobatic catches downfield. On the other hand. Lacks the burst to get over the top of NFL corners with any consistency. Runs hard but lacks breakaway speed and not going to make many defenders miss after the catch.

Competitiveness/ Toughness

Not afraid to work the middle of the field. Displays the focus and toughness to pull in catch in traffic while absorbing contact. Displays above-average field and sideline awareness. Could be more aggressive as a blocker but gets into adequate position and flashes a violent punch.