Rams need mass at NT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What does everybody think about Dominique Easley?
Injury prone...

I'd hope the guy we get is over 300....and CAN run....

More of a Payne guy than Settle....but I wouldn't mind either....

Think ILB will be a rookie...I also expect NT to be drafted....and both positions backed up by low cost veterans.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams DL lacked the size to stand up to a strong :lifting: running attack. When your starting DL average size is 6-3 289 lbs :help:you know your going to need some starting run stuffing & edge setting LB'ers:huh:.

Well the Rams have only one of the four of the 2017 starting LB'ers still here. So we know we had fail mode ongoing in this 2017 LB'er unit. Current rumors :liar:is the Rams are fine with planing to go with even smaller size LB'ers with a 225 lb Cory Littleton replacing the 245 lb Tree & the 240 lb Samson Ebukam replacing the 255 lb Barwin:thinking: . I did not see any flashes of Cory or Samson being outstanding run stuffers:hellno:. Don't get me wrong I like both of them & understand that they are talented & worthy of early considerations but we sure need a a mix a blending here to improve this LB'ing unit against the run. Currently our girth @ inside LB'er is mike reserve Bryce Hager who is under 6-1 & goes 237 lbs.:shocking:

Would you let me state some fact on the DL in 2017?

Wade's week # 1 DL starters against the Colts were Walker/ Brockers/ Westbrooks. Wade's week #2 & #3 DL starters against the Skins & 9ers were Walker/ Brockers/ Donald. Wade's week #4 DL starters against the Cowboys had two major changes in it. Brockers saw his first NFL starting action @ DE & rookie Tanzel Smart replaced Brockers @ NT with Donald remaining @ his normal post.This DL remained Brockers/ Smart/ Donald until the next change wk#10 when Westbrooks replaced rookie Smart & Ethan Westbrooks started his first NFL gm.@ NT. This was the line up into the playoffs.

Wade played four DL'ers @ NT in 2017:
Early Season- Micheal Brockers 3 starts with Tanzel Smart as his back up.
Mid season-Tanzel Smart 5 starts with Tyrunn Walker as his back up.
Later season- Ethan Westbrooks 8 starts with Tyrunn Walker as his back up.Tyrunn Walker 1 start wk# 17 .

Westbrooks is not a starting NFL NT. Its obvious he wore down as the season went on as the starter. The last four gms of the season Westbrooks managed 1 tackle & 1 assist :palm:. Walker the 6-3 over 315 pounder who played as Westbrooks NT reserve managed 5 tackles & 3 assist in the same period of time.

QUESTIONS ?? Should Snead & Wade cell phones have Tyrunn Walker's agent on speed dial? Should the Rams plan to play Westbrooks back to the NT post in 2018?Brockers has his best season as a pro in 2017 playing the Wade DE post. Why do so many desire Brockers to return to play NT?

The 2018 Rams DL appears to be set @ both DL post on each side of the NT post with Donald/Smart @ 3 tech. Brockers/Fox @ the 5 tech & Westbrook fully capable of starting or backing up both the 3 & 5 tech posts. The massive only HOLE is @ the NT post. Plain & simple.

Last edited:

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I'd prefer the Rams use a 4 & 6 and package it with their 1st to move up to get Vita Vea. Suh can take a pay cut if he wants to come here. Otherwise, he's too expensive and might wreck the Rams future salary cap when it's time to renew Joyner, Gurley, Goff and Aaron Donald.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd prefer the Rams use a 4 & 6 and package it with their 1st to move up to get Vita Vea. Suh can take a pay cut if he wants to come here. Otherwise, he's too expensive and might wreck the Rams future salary cap when it's time to renew Joyner, Gurley, Goff and Aaron Donald.

Who would start in your version of the 46 D? In 2017 the DL 4 was Barwin/ Brockers/Donald/Quinn. I read that Wade went with this 4 DL'er front line approx 56% of the Defensive snaps.

Last edited:

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Who would start in your version of the 46 D? In 2017 the DL 4 was Barwin/ Brockers/Donald/Quinn. The early 6 DB's were Johnson/ NR-C/ Joyner/ Alexander/ JJ III/ Countess. Changed to Webster/ Johnson/ NR-C/ JJ III / Countess/ Hill. By the later of the season the 6 DB's were Johnson/ NR-C/ Hill /Joyner/ JJ III / Peterson.

I'd prefer the front 4 to be Aaron Donald, Brockers, Vea (Rookie), Barwin or another Rookie DE (I trust Snead in drafting this year) and the rotation of Fox and Longacre at the other DE position. For the LBs: Hager, Ebukam and Littleton. The DBs: Marcus Peters, Aquib Talib, JJohnson and LaMarcus Joyner. I believe this coaching staff can coach up and maximize the defensive talents to fit the scheme on the defensive side.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
330 pounds of run stuffing ability. Pass rush not very important. A guy that can suck up a center and a guard and allow Donald and Brockers to wreak havoc at the end spots.

Williams and Hankins are both guys available. Looking for that Alvin wright type. Remember him? Was a physical guy in the 3/4. Not a household name but a guy that can anchor the inside with our ILB to be named later. Westbrook and smart need to be depth guys.
Well Suh has never played NT. Not saying Suh can't but he is far more 3 tech DT (Donald) type skills than an Nose. Also Suh is also more DE in a 43 D too. Suh is more 34 D 5 tech (Brockers) type than Nose Tackle too. So if the Rams sign Suh they will pay big $$$ for a DL to play a post he has never started. So I am not all that interested in all this Suh talk stuff as a Ram:sleep:

Now if a much younger (25 yrs old vs 32 yrs old) BIGGER & with GIRTH (6-2 325 plus pounds) plus much cheaper well experienced playing over & around the NOSE model i.e. Johnathan Hankins comes to LA Rams for contract talks I would be :D.

Rams could resign Tyrunn Walker @ a decent price. Rams have a first yr large NT prospect in 6-3 315 plus pound Omarius Bryant. Snead also has two of last seasons starting NT's signed in Westbrooks & Smart too. So if they wanted to avoid drafting a NT this season & just sign a UFA NT & see how it turns out.

Last edited: