Rams need help but WR class thinner than past few years/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams need help but receiver class thinner than past few years
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ut-receiver-class-thinner-than-past-few-years

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The Los Angeles Rams spent two picks on wide receivers in the 2012 and 2013 NFL draft. They went on to miss out on one of the best wideout classes in years in 2014 and then only took one in the sixth round last year.

That pick, Missouri's Bud Sasser never played a game for the Rams because of a medical condition. And now, the Rams entered this offseason with a need for help on the outside. They re-signed Brian Quick but they still lack a true No. 1 option in the receiving game.

The Chicago Bears' Alshon Jeffery was the only player who fit that description in free agency but the Bears put the franchise tag on him, effectively ending any chance of him going elsewhere. Which leaves the draft.

Picking at No. 15 overall, the Rams could be positioned to take one of the top receivers. Normally, that would be too low for one of the top two or three wideouts but this year's class isn't as loaded as we've seen in recent years.

On Wednesday, Nathan Forster ranked this year's receivers using the PlayMaker score, which uses a variety of statistical and physical analysis to spit out a number for each player. Last year, it rated the receivers pretty well in line with how they performed.

This year, Baylor's Corey Coleman finished at the top of the rankings, drawing historical comparisons to Steve Smith and DeAndre Hopkins. Surely, the Rams would be happy to have a player the caliber of either of those two.

Notre Dame's Will Fuller, Mississippi's Laquon Treadwell, TCU's Josh Doctson and Ohio State's Michael Thomas round out the top five. Treadwell has been a regular Rams selection in mock drafts, normally as the first wideout taken in the draft. But there's still plenty of debate about whether he actually is.

One historical comparison that should raise eyebrows among Rams' faithful? Fuller is compared to Torry Holt.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This Draft class may be "Thin" compared to last years, But there are still about 10 or so pretty good prospects out their, And the Rams picking at 15, 43, and 45 stand a good chance of getting one or two!!JMHO

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thin in the send that no complete number ones are in it but we could use at least 2 of the top 6

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think one WR and one TE is about all we should expect in this next draft. Like it or not, Austin, Britt, Quick and perhaps even Bailey remain with the team, then there are the one year hopefuls in Ferguson, Marquez & Nick Toon, so just one WR will provide plenty of competition being the team isn't prepared for wholesale turnover. With Kendricks and Harkey returning at TE, appears one in the draft is almost a no-brainer. I won't be surprised at all if we draft both positions with 2 out of our first 3 draft picks. jmo.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I would be very happy with Treadwell dude is a monster blocker and would be a big target for keenum or whoever they plan on starting..imagine him at 15..then a safety and tight end in the second round . That be prime, I have faith !

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This Draft class may be "Thin" compared to last years, But there are still about 10 or so pretty good prospects out their, And the Rams picking at 15, 43, and 45 stand a good chance of getting one or two!!JMHO

Totally agree, 51.

An early WR drafted is practically a certainty. And I wouldn't be at all shocked if they took 2 this year.

The WR position has got to be our least well stocked.

I think anybody counting on Quick or Bailey this year must still believe in the tooth fairy. Lol.