Rams need big things from Saffold, Robinson on O-line/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams need big things from Saffold, Robinson on O-line this season
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a36fb060-89ad-50b7-a394-16722ab9baf5.html

If the Rams are going to get it done on the offensive line this season, the left side tandem of guard Rodger Saffold and tackle Greg Robinson must lead the way.

Just four days removed from his 27th birthday, Saffold suddenly finds himself the most experienced Rams offensive lineman with 60 NFL starts. He’s also the second-oldest member of the unit. (Free-agent pickup Garrett Reynolds, who turns 28 on July 1, has Saffold by 11 months.)

“Yeah, I’m doing my best with that,” Saffold said. “It’s kinda different. Especially with this team, being with this team the longest.”

Saffold is the longest-tenured member of the Rams’ offense, entering his sixth season in St. Louis after being picked in the second round of the 2010 draft out of Indiana University. Only defensive end Chris Long (2008) and linebacker James Laurinaitis (2009) have been with team longer overall.

“It’s a big role, but I like those things,” Saffold said. “I like changes because that way it keeps you more engaged. Things start getting a little less boring.”

Things figure to be anything but boring on the offensive line this season. The Rams could very well be starting rookies at both right guard and right tackle, as well as a center who’s never started an NFL regular-season game.

Strangely, Robinson has gone from a raw rookie attempting to learn the game in 2014 to one of the team’s most experienced blockers in a year’s time. Robinson’s 12 starts are more than any offensive lineman other than Saffold’s 60 and Reynolds’ 27.

“It’s kinda shocking just to see that because there’s a lot of young guys that were in my position last year,” Robinson said.

Last year, Robinson’s head was spinning as he went from a simple run-oriented offense at Auburn to a pro-style offense brimming with formations and complex pass protection schemes. This year, Robinson finds himself getting questions from the Rams’ six rookie offensive linemen trying to figure out who to block.

“And surprisingly, I can talk to them about it,” Robinson said, laughing. “Last year, I was the one asking questions.”

This year, Saffold and Robinson must help answer questions on a unit that is the team’s biggest question mark.

“I have to step up — along with Rodger,” Robinson said. “Me and him were here the whole offseason, so it should pay off.”

They were around so much because they have been recovering from early offseason operations and working frequently with the Rams athletic training staff on their rehab. Saffold underwent shoulder surgery (specifically a torn labrum), while Robinson had a turf toe injury repaired.

They have rehabbed together, worked out together and watched film together long before the formal start of the offseason conditioning program April 20. Both have been limited on the practice field since the OTA sessions started last week.

The Rams are hoping Saffold can take a step forward career-wise after being bothered by shoulder issues the past couple of years.

“Well, it’s fixed,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “We have every reason to expect that thing’s not going to pop out every three weeks like it did. There’s so much ahead for him, right now, from an upper-body strength (standpoint). We’re just trying to be smart with him right now.”

Saffold had the surgery done as soon as the season ended, and it was a clean surgery. In other words, there was damage only to the labrum — and nothing else.

“I haven’t had much pain or problems,” Saffold said. “It’s been pretty much smooth sailing. Right now I’m ahead of the curve.”

The Rams are taking it slow with Saffold, and Robinson as well. No need to rush things in early June.

Robinson suffered his turf toe at the end of last season, and similar to Saffold, had surgery right after the season.

“It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be,” Robinson said. “But the first part, just staying off it, was real tough. But as I got to moving a little more, I became a lot more comfortable. So it was really just staying focused and getting stronger, keeping my conditioning up.”

Robinson said he’s making progress on a daily basis and expects to be full-go by the start of training camp. The conditioning work and weight training have paid off. He has dropped 20 pounds, to 319, and the baby fat is gone.

“He feels good,” Fisher said. “His strength has increased, so if there’s a little bit of weight loss and an increase in strength, that’s a good thing.”

Besides all the conditioning work, Robinson said he started eating healthier in the offseason. Not that he’s become a health freak and is subsisting on tree bark and trail mix.

“I still cheat here and there but it’s a lot more limited than usual,” he said.

So he didn’t give up a favorite food, such as doughnuts?

“No, I didn’t,” he told a reporter. “You want to go out for some doughnuts?”

At the lighter weight, Robinson hopes to increase his quickness — the better to handle all those speed rushers at left tackle.

At this point, Robinson can’t really gauge if he has indeed gotten quicker, because he isn’t practicing full-go yet. But it feels that way.

“I feel like I’m moving a lot better,” Robinson said. “Hopefully, it goes through as planned. I really can’t sense the future, but now my main focus is just making progress each day.”

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is everyone always ahead of schedule coming off of surgery? Either its bs or the schedule is flawed

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
How is everyone always ahead of schedule coming off of surgery? Either its bs or the schedule is flawed

Most pro sports players are genetic freaks. I wonder if the timetable is set for the average person rather than them.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most pro sports players are genetic freaks. I wonder if the timetable is set for the average person rather than them.
That would make sense, but in that case they should be held to a different timetable. Doesn't make much sense to hold them to a timetable that is conducive for them to be back doing yard work :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At 27, Rodger Saffold becomes O-line's wise old man
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ger-saffold-becomes-rams-o-lines-wise-old-man

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- After January shoulder surgery forced St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Rodger Saffold to spend the majority of his offseason rehabilitating at Rams Park, Saffold often found himself feeling lonely.

Saffold's average day would consist of plenty of rehab with the team's athletic trainers and strength and conditioning coaches, but when that was done, Saffold usually retired to the offensive line's meeting room to watch film. He was sometimes joined by offensive tackle Greg Robinson, who is also recovering from offseason surgery (on his toe), but more often than not, he didn't have much in the way of company. That was especially true after the team released veteran offensive linemen Jake Long and Scott Wells and chose not to re-sign guard Davin Joseph.

That's no longer a problem after the Rams signed veteran Garrett Reynolds in free agency and then went on to spend four draft picks on offensive linemen, including projected starters in the second and third rounds.

So it is that at the ripe old age of 27, Saffold is no longer rolling solo but now thrust into the important role of veteran presence for a line that projects to be the youngest in the NFL in 2015.

"I’m doing my best at that," Saffold said. "It’s kind of hard because you are not in practice. But just staying engaged with the guys as far as mental reps because a lot of these young guys are not going to get a lot of reps. The O-line room is pretty much vacant most of the year. Now there’s nowhere to sit. You have got to be able to help these guys out. Right now, I’m kind of like a coach, just sitting there, reading scripts and helping out when I can."

The first order of business for Saffold before he can fully dive into that newly-prescribed leadership role is to get his shoulder back to full strength. He has been plagued by injuries on a consistent basis throughout his career -- though he played in all 16 games last year for the first time since his rookie season in 2010. There were a couple of hiccups that cost Saffold parts of games here and there, though, usually related to the on-going shoulder problem.

It's the same shoulder issue that scared away the Oakland Raiders in 2014 after they agreed to terms on a big-money contract. The Raiders decided to part ways with Saffold, paving the way for his return to St. Louis. After playing through the issue last year, Saffold decided the time was right to finally get it fixed.

"The biggest thing about it was I was able to play all 16 games, which just kind of let me know that doing this thing was not the end of the world so now I can just come back and really play," Saffold said. "It’s a crazy game. Things just pop up out of nowhere, but right now I’m very, very confident [in the shoulder]."

During organized team activities, Saffold has been limited to participating mostly in individual drills. He says he's feeling good, but the Rams have no interest in rushing Saffold back before he's ready.

In the meantime, he is spending whatever time that doesn't go toward rehabbing the shoulder to helping young linemen like tackle Rob Havenstein and guard Jamon Brown.

"The best thing about the injury -- I don’t want to say there’s anything good about injuries -- but the good thing about injury is you stay in the building," Saffold said. "So a lot of times people are on vacation and things, and I’m still in the building working. That helped me a lot as far as weight room wise and getting everything together. And being able to work with some of the young guys that are still here."

Becoming the guy that all of the young linemen look to for answers hasn't been a bad thing for Saffold, though he's the first to admit it's kind of strange. This is, after all, the guy who spends much of his down time playing with and running a team of video gamers and has often referred to himself as a big kid.

"Yeah, it is, it’s kind of different," Saffold said. "Especially with this team, being the longest with this team, being able to help everybody. It’s a big role, but I like those things. I like changes. That way it keeps you more engaged, and things are a little less boring."

And far less lonely.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Saffold needs to step up and be a leader on that line and stay healthy while doing so

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Saffold needs to step up and be a leader on that line and stay healthy while doing so

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm afraid if Saffold can't stay healthy, and the Newbee's pan out, Saffold will not be here next year!

RamBill

Legend
The Rams’ Young Offensive Line Has Much to Prove

Posted by: DMarco Farr

http://www.101sports.com/2015/06/11/the-rams-young-offensive-line-has-much-to-prove/

Young and athletic. You’ll hear those adjectives used ad nauseam leading up to the Rams’ 2015 season, but in the case of the offensive line, they’re fitting descriptions.

I’d be shocked if Tim Barnes and second-round pick Rob Havenstein (6-7, 321) are not week one starters at center and right tackle, respectively.

Remember when Kyle Turley was just a right tackle and liked playing football in in St. Louis? Get ready for for a rebirth of that scene on game day. Havenstein is a few scary tats and a couple of fist fights away from Mr Turley’s neighborhood.

Tim Barnes is another story.

Is Barnes better than the beat up version of Scott Wells in 2014? There are doubters, but let’s let the Rams’ center answer that question when he stumps for a starting role in training camp. He’s going to have to convince the decision makers with his pads.

Side eye to third-round pick Jamon Brown. Lets hope the team gives this 6’4″ 323-pounder out of Louisville the opportunity stake a claim for a starting nod at guard. Of course, this depends on how Brown plays against air before taking on actual bodies.

Every NFL team whose plans go awry will state the obvious coming into training camp. “We’ve been impressed with the young players’ athleticism.”

What else is there to say in mid-June? There’s no other way to judge this early.

In other words, if a team surrendered more than 40 sacks in 2014 and poor pass protection contributed to adverse quarterback play, “young” and “athletic” are mainstays in your sports vernacular for the summer months.

Also, running the football will be the primary objective of every NFL head coach going into training camp.

For Jeff Fisher and company, though, the directive doesn’t change once the regular season begins.

Its good time to be big and strong in St. Louis.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Scaffold and Robinson both better have rock solid years or our season probably crashes and burns with all the rookieness abound on the OL.

RamBill

Legend
Greg Robinson expecting big improvement in second season
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...on-expecting-big-improvement-in-second-season

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Surrounded by a group of offensive linemen that includes four rookies taken in this year's NFL draft, second-year offensive tackle Greg Robinson finds himself in something of a strange position.

After the St. Louis Rams opted for a nearly complete makeover of their offensive line in the offseason, Robinson is now the second-most experienced projected starter on the line. This time last year, Robinson was attaching himself to the likes of Jake Long, Rodger Saffold and Joe Barksdale in an effort to get up to speed as fast as possible.

A year later, Robinson is the player the rookie linemen are turning to for answers.

"Last year, I was the one asking the questions," Robinson said, laughing.

That's not to say that Robinson has all the answers yet, either. When the Rams used the No. 2 overall pick on him in the 2014 NFL draft, they knew it would take some time for him to turn raw ability into polished production. That is why Robinson's rookie season came with more than its share of bumps along the way.

Robinson started out as a guard, biding his time on the bench the first four weeks of the season before finally moving into the starting lineup. With Long in place, the Rams hoped Robinson could help at guard for a season before taking his projected left tackle spot permanently. That experiment lasted little more than two games before another ACL injury ended Long's season in week 8.

The Rams decided to turn the future into the present by moving Robinson outside to left tackle. They stuck with that idea this offseason when they released Long.

Buoyed by the knowledge that his natural left tackle position is where his future lies, Robinson has spent the offseason recovering from a turf toe injury suffered in the season finale against Seattle and attempting to get in better shape.

It's so far, so good on both fronts as Robinson said he has dropped 20 pounds to get down to 319 from 339 and is already doing individual drills after rehabilitating from the toe injury.

"I feel like I’m making progress every day," Robinson said. "They don’t really want me rushing it. So I’m just going with whatever the coaches say and just trying to stay locked in and pay as much attention as possible."

Robinson probably could participate in team drills during practice now, but the Rams don't see the need to rush him.

“He’s been working here," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He’s been rehabbing and he’s working and he feels good. His strength has increased. If there’s a little bit of weight loss and increase of strength, that’s a good thing.”

Dropping the weight should allow Robinson to use his athleticism in space more.

"That’s the plan," Robinson said. "I feel like I’m moving a lot better. It’s coming from not being able to run at all to making progress and transition back to the field, but they don’t want me rushing it."

In the meantime, Robinson has spent those team drill sessions focused on the mental side of things. Unlike last year, when he was asked to learn two positions at the same time, Robinson no longer has to concern himself with anything but tackle.

With the Rams adding some new offensive wrinkles, including more zone blocking, Robinson is getting a chance to do more of what he did at Auburn, where the Tigers mixed zone and man blocking schemes. The Rams appear to be headed toward mixing the two more than they already did this year.

Robinson hopes those new wrinkles and his additional time spent learning the offense will pay off in his second season. With three new starters projected elsewhere on the line, the Rams can't afford to wait for Robinson to take much more time to develop.

"I feel like the game has slowed down a little bit for me, just by me going through the walkthroughs and getting off on the snap count and stuff," Robinson said. "I haven’t been making as many mistakes as I was last year, so I think the main focus is just getting the playbook and trying my best to learn as much as possible so I won’t be thinking as much on the line."

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
A year later, Robinson is the player the rookie linemen are turning to for answers.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/greg_robinson_goes_from_rookie.html#incart_story_package

Greg Robinson goes from rookie to leader in 1 NFL season
rams-football-a370c717fd6dbd99.jpg

St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Greg Robinson practices on Thursday, June 11, 2015, in St. Louis. (AP Photo)
Print Email
By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com
Follow on Twitter
on June 17, 2015 at 7:00 AM, updated June 17, 2015 at 7:03 AM

The St. Louis Rams' roster includes six rookie offensive linemen. Greg Robinson can relate.

"Last year, I was the one asking the questions," Robinson told espn.com.

St. Louis selected Auburn's left offensive tackle with the second choice in the 2014 NFL Draft with the intent of making him the team's left guard to open his career. Robinson hardly played in the first four games of the season, then started three games at left guard. When left offensive tackle Jake Long suffered a season-ending knee injury in the seventh game, Robinson shifted to the opening and started the final nine games of the season at what was considered his "future" position -- left offensive tackle.

Long is no longer with the Rams. Neither are center Scott Wells, right guard Davin Joseph and right tackle Joe Barksdale.

Left guard Rodger Saffold is the old man of the St. Louis line with 60 NFL starts. All the other offensive linemen on the Rams' roster have a total of 43, including Robinson's 12.

"It's kind of shocking just to see that because it's a lot of young guys that are in my position last year," Robinson told reporters at St. Louis OTAs. "... I have to step up along with Rodger. Me and him was up here the whole offseason, so it should pay off."

Robinson's offseason work at the Rams' facility followed toe surgery. He suffered a turf-toe injury in St. Louis' final game of the 2014 season. While recovery from the surgery is limiting what Robinson can do on the field, his work while rehabbing at the Rams' headquarters allowed him to trim his weight by 20 pounds to 319.

"His strength has increased," St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher said. "If there's a little bit of weight loss and increase of strength, that's a good thing."

Robinson said he thought he'd be quicker at his new weight, although it's hard to tell because of his toe surgery.

"I feel like I'm moving a lot better," Robinson said, "but it's coming from not being able to run at all to transitioning back to the field. But they don't want me rushing it."

This offseason, Robinson has been able to focus on one position and work with Saffold, building on his first season of NFL experience.

"I feel like the game has slowed down a little bit for me just by me going in through the walk-throughs and getting off on the snap counts and stuff," Robinson said. "I haven't been making as many mistakes as I was last year. So I think the main focus was just to get in the playbook and try my best to pay attention as much as possible just so I won't be thinking as much on the line."

FOR MORE OF AL.COM'S COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE OF THE NFL, GO TO OUR NFL PAGE

The Rams are the only NFL team that doesn't hold a minicamp in the summer. Their offseason workouts wrap up with the final OTAs this week. The players will return next month for training camp.

Robinson said the plan was for him to have his toe rehab behind him for training camp.

"I feel like I'm making progress every day," Robinson said.