Rams Must Decide Finnegan's Fate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Rams must decide Finnegan's fate
• By Jim Thomas

[www.stltoday.com]

When it comes to the secondary, the Rams’ offseason game plan hinges on one question: What to do with Cortland Finnegan?

After a slow start, the veteran cornerback suffered a fractured orbital below his left eye in Game 4 (against San Francisco) and played in only three of the final 12 games of 2013. It now looks like surgery won’t be necessary.

“That’s a bone issue,” general manager Les Snead said last week. “As we all know with bones, only time can heal that. It’s not a major (injury) but because it’s up near your eye we’d better let this thing heal.”

The larger question, however, is does Finnegan fit into the Rams’ plans for 2014 and beyond? A cornerstone addition made during coach Jeff Fisher’s first couple of months on the job, Finnegan is two years through a five-year, $50 million free-agent contract that brought him here from Tennessee.

Finnegan started out with a bang, intercepting a pass in each of his first three games as a Ram in 2012. But he was slowed by nagging injuries late in that season and never really got going in 2013. He yielded three touchdown passes in the first four games of this season, and then came the fractured orbital.

The Rams may want Finnegan back for next season, but it seems almost a certainty it won’t be without a restructured — and reduced — contract. Otherwise, Finnegan is due to be paid $9 million and will count $10 million against the salary cap in 2014. The $9 million breaks down as a $6 million base salary and a $3 million roster bonus due the third day of the “league year.” (In other words, three days into the free agency/trade period, which starts March 11.)

Add $1 million to the total due to proration of Finnegan’s original $5 million signing bonus over the five-year length of the deal, and you get your $10 million cap count in 2014.

Interestingly, the $3 million roster bonus is guaranteed — the last of $27 million worth of guaranteed money in the contract. But there is offset language tied to the roster bonus. For example, if the Rams release Finnegan and he’s signed by a new club that pays him $2 million next season, the Rams are on the hook for only $1 million of that $3 million roster bonus.

As was the case during the nine games that Finnegan missed with the fractured orbital, the Rams would be extremely young at cornerback without the eight-year pro, who turns 30 on Feb. 2. A secondary minus Finnegan would leave the team with a pair of third-year players as starting cornerbacks next season in Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson and no clear nickel back.

Before Finnegan’s injury, he slid into the nickel role covering slot receivers when the opposing team was in three-wide receiver sets. Starting free safety Rodney McLeod bailed out the Rams this season by sliding down from safety to cover slot receivers in the nickel.

The only other cornerback on the current roster who figures to contend for playing time is Brandon McGee, who’s fast but still very raw. As a rookie in 2013, McGee participated in only 78 plays on defense, or little more than the equivalent of one full game, so he didn’t get much seasoning.

Among the list of pending free agents at cornerback are Alterraun Verner of Tennessee, Captain Munnerlyn of Carolina, Vontae Davis of Indianapolis and Tarell Brown of San Francisco. But with nearly two months remaining before the start of free agency, many of these players could end up re-signing with their current teams before they reach the market.

Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond of Seattle both are pending free agents, but Browner has been suspended indefinitely for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, and Thurmond was suspended four games this season for violating the drug policy. So buyer beware on both players.

Despite a late-season back injury, Jenkins was one of the iron men on defense, playing in all but 19 of more than 1,000 defensive snaps this season. Snead disagreed with the notion that Jenkins’ play regressed this season from his rookie year.

“We put him probably in some more stressful situations this year, so from that standpoint he progressed,” Snead said. “The staff trusts him. He can go cover their best player without any help. ... Maybe the interceptions were down. He made some big plays, and a couple people made some plays over him that you want to clean up.”

Jenkins gave up six touchdown passes this season, all against teams’ No. 1 receivers or co-No. 1 receivers: Two to Seattle’s Golden Taint, and one apiece to Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald, Chicago’s Brandon Marshall, Atlanta’s Julio Jones and Carolina’s Steve Smith.

Jenkins also was among the league’s most-penalized defensive players, ranking second in charged penalties (penalties that weren’t declined) with 12, and ranking third in yards penalized (121). But he did lead the team with 18 pass breakups to go along with one interception. He had chances for a few more interceptions but couldn’t finish off the play.

Jenkins and Johnson both have five career interceptions, which ranks among the leaders in terms of players drafted in the class of 2012.

“They’re touching the ball,” Snead said. “But that’s not the standard. They can get better. At the end of the day I think it was a progression.”

jjab360

Legend
I hope Fisher doesn't go soft here, Finnegan was a huge liability for us last season, he needs to be replaced.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope Fisher doesn't go soft here, Finnegan was a huge liability for us last season, he needs to be replaced.

Replace Finnegan with Verner and you won't be able to sand blast the smile off my face.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Easy decision its a no brainer...now move on to more important matters we do not have time to ponder this decision any longer. If they bring CF back @ any capacity period it would be change my whole thought process on Snead & Fisher. I simply refuse to think that either of them are even slightly capable of making such a poor decision. So write Cortland Finnegan off the Ram books forever it will not happen.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It could happen that they decide restructure Finnegan to play nickel.

But I guess I have kind of an odd question. If they were to draft a corner and we all got what we wish with Finnegan gone, who would you as fans play at the nickel slot assuming that both Jenkins and Johnson are healthy?

I ask because it makes and interesting discussion on whether or not you'd place the corner of your choice in one of Jenkins or Johnson at the beginning of the season, or start them off covering the slot receiver to gain experience.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I loved the signing when it happened...but Finnegan hasn't looked the same since the middle of 2012...thanks for the time, see ya later!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
It's pretty amazing the decline in his play from his first year to his second. I really wish he could get it back but maybe he is just done.
We definitely need to either draft or pick up some FA help in the secondary.

Seattle is elite because they have CB's that can shut you down. We need the same to be in the same conversation, IMO.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
We will get younger at CB, the question is, how exactly? Time to cut bait with Finnegan...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
His contract is going to force him into restructuring or just being released. His contract coupled with his performance of course.

I'll say this... Prior to his injuries, his performance was breaking my orbital bones. It was depressing to see how far his play had declined.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Friendship aside; this is a Rams decision.

No way Finnegan sticks on this roster for that $. No way.

I'll be pissed if he is not cut. Pissed.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I have to concur with everyone else. Cut him and use the money for younger players on their way up, not veterans on the downward slope.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I thought I read that it isn't guaranteed until 3 days after the start of the new league year?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would put CB/S as the second most group of need in this year's draft. It looks like there are at least 3 or 4 decent prospects coming out but not great depth after the 2nd round. Still a lot of time to figure it out but Finnegan can't be more than an emergency scenario with a cut and resign contract that gets him into a more manageable amount of $$$. I'm not even sure he can cover the slot as well as McGee at this point. With our dominant D line we need guys that can press and cover one on one to move the defense as a whole forward. The combine will be fun to watch as this group of DBs get evaluated.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher brought Finnegan in to be a veteran leader in the Secondary. From what I can see the only thing that he taught the young players was how to run their mouth the entire game. I am counting his contributions to the team as a negative at this point........and that isn't even getting into his recent play.

I would cut him and never look back. Some players just drop off real fast. Usually that happens to players that are making up for lack of measurable with extra effort. That describes Finnegan.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
If he's released, I'm going to join twitter just to see if he'll sell me his shoes.

air-jordan-los-angeles-rams-customs-04-570x427.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would put CB/S as the second most group of need in this year's draft. It looks like there are at least 3 or 4 decent prospects coming out but not great depth after the 2nd round. Still a lot of time to figure it out but Finnegan can't be more than an emergency scenario with a cut and resign contract that gets him into a more manageable amount of $$$. I'm not even sure he can cover the slot as well as McGee at this point. With our dominant D line we need guys that can press and cover one on one to move the defense as a whole forward. The combine will be fun to watch as this group of DBs get evaluated.

Fisher like the 5-11 195 pound Brandon McGee a bunch. McGee big negative was his size to play the outside but McGee has quick feet & overall good quickness. That 4.37 time in the 40 is very good but he is more quick than overall speed. McGee was the top performing CB in 2013 draft in the 20 Yard Shuttle/3 Cone Drill. Fisher has his replacement for CF now.

Cortland has always been 5-9 and was super lean around 180 or less last yr. CF has lost that 4.35 speed he had back in 2006. CF is seriously undersized, not strong at the point any longer and has tackles broken on a constant basis. CF has now struggle for two seasons in man coverage. You do not keep a 30 yr old declining DB in a 50 mil contract like this.

Alan

Legend
Those are great looking sneakers! I especially like the ones with the horns.