Rams Most Overrated And Underrated Players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/19/st-louis-rams-overrated-and-underrated-players-heading-into-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ramblinfan.com/2013/06/19/st-lou ... into-2013/</a>
St. Louis Rams Most Overrated And Underrated Players Heading Into 2013
Yesterday, Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller gave us his take on the most overrated and underrated players from each of the 32 teams. Looking at the league through a wide lens can sometimes cloud your view on an individual team, especially one in a small market with little to no media coverage. That is definitely the case for the St. Louis Rams, who rarely see their name on SportsCenter, aside from the occasional “upset victory” or a pity mention as the other team in the NFC West. Since Miller used his “overrated” tag on Janoris Jenkins and his “underrated” mark on Sam Bradford, we will diversify our selections and not include either player in our list. So, who are the Rams most overrated and underrated players?

Overrated: Harvey Dahl
Harvey Dahl came to the Rams in 2011 with the hopes that he would sure-up the interior of the offensive line. His reputation was one of a “mauler,” an interior monster who dominated the point of attack in the run game. He was a key component of Michael Turner’s 1,370 yard season back in 2010, where Dahl was ranked the 5th overall guard in the league (according to Pro Football Focus). However, the Rams’ inside brute has not maintained that level of productivity in St. Louis. In his first season, Dahl played only 10 regular season games as the starting right guard (the other six at right tackle), and finished the season ranked 32nd in run blocking, and 34th overall in the league. In 2012, Dahl graded out negatively in run blocking, finishing 43rd overall among guards, and ending the season on the IR with a torn bicep. To his credit, Dahl has only been tagged with allowing 2 total sacks in the last two season; however, he has given up a higher-than-average amount of hits and hurries on the quarterback. With a $4M/year contract, Dahl should be ranking, at least, Top 20 in the league every season, especially as a run blocker.

Underrated: Lance Kendricks
Last season, Delanie Walker received all the praise from the league as the premier utility tight end. However, Lance Kendricks proved to be just as versatile, taking over fullback responsibilities on the Rams after the release of Brit Miller in the second half of the season. Starting at Week 12 against the Arizona Cardinals, Kendricks averaged 25 snaps per game as a run blocker and 5 snaps per game as a pass blocker. On top of that, he finished the season with a career-high 41 receptions for 500 yards, including 4 touchdowns. He averaged 5.5 yards after the catch, and posted an impressive 71.9% catch rate, the highest on the team in 2012. With all of the hype surrounding Jared Cook, talk of Kendricks is a rarity. However, even though Cook will likely see more targets in the passing game, Kendricks will undoubtedly see more snaps on the field, either being lined up in the backfield, as the in-line tight end, or shifted out into the slot.

Overrated: Robert Quinn
Robert Quinn is a fan favorite among Rams Nation, being young, exciting, and possessing a keen nose for getting to the quarterback. However, at this point in his career, Quinn is essentially a one-trick pony on the outside. As a pass rusher, the sophomore defensive end racked up 11 sacks, 8 hits on the quarterback, and 26 hurries. However, Quinn regularly broke contain on the outside in run defense, either breaking up the field too far or merely getting pinned inside by a larger tackle, fullback, or tight end. As a result, Williams Hayes was inserted in the rotation, which resulted in 7 sacks and 26 defensive stops in only 378 defensive snaps. With a little added weight and some additional experience, Quinn could certainly develop into a top tier, all-around defensive end. However, Quinn graded out positively in only 3 games last season, and is still praised as one of the top players within the Rams defense.

Underrated: Cortland Finnegan
Cortland Finnegan was thought of as an elite cornerback in Tennessee, making the Pro Bowl and solidifying a spot in the Top 100 on an annual basis. However, since coming to St. Louis, Finnegan has dropped out of the spotlight. Last season, the chippy slot-corner led all defensive backs in tackles, allowed under 10.0 yards per reception, and did not allow a single receiving touchdown in coverage. Not only was he stellar in coverage, he was essentially the St. Louis Rams’ outside linebacker for most of the season, being shifted to the inside on the nickel package. Still, most outside of St. Louis would not consider Finnegan to be in any “top tier” of players in the league, even with his high level of production.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ehhh.

Some of that I agree with, and some of it I don't. I don't know how anyone can put together an objective analysis of Dahl in light of how often he was moved around, and how he was flanked by 2nd string players at one point. He "graded out negatively in run blocking", but had at least 7 good games (positive grades). As for the negative games, let's take a look at his worst (-2.9 grade). He was playing in Chicago at RG next to Turner and Richardson with Ojinnaka and Hunter filling out the rotation. How is HE going to grade out positively against the Bears' defense, with THAT line, in Chicago? Here's a hint. He can't, because nobody did.

I'm growing weary of guys who only look at stats and then try to form an opinion based on that.

Is he overrated? Someone could make a (better) case, I think. But I honestly don't think he is.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He was a key component of Michael Turner’s 1,370 yard season back in 2010, where Dahl was ranked the 5th overall guard in the league (according to Pro Football Focus).

X disagreeing that Dahl is overrated:

I also disagree that Dahl is overrated but I'm coming at it from a different direction than you are. The author of this article seems to think that all the interested parties thought he was the Chance Warmack of the NFL. Look at the quote in blue and I think that was the expectation and I think he's met that expectation. Only a few idiots thought he would somehow single–handedly transform the Rams atrocious O-line into a clone of the Falcons.

Dahl was a key part of the Atlanta line. But so were all the rest of their O-line players. The O-line functions as a group and with Atlanta he was part of a great group. With the Rams he wasn't. There is no fair comparison between the two IMO. Bring over the rest of the Atlanta O-line and he'd probably have played just as well here as he did with them. I thought he played up to my expectations.

Having said that, his injury and age is worrisome to me. Time to either move on or groom his replacement in hurry up mode.

The authors rating of these players is totally a function of his skewed idea of what the knowledgeable people think/thought about them before and now. I disagree with every single one of his assertions. I think they all performed to my expectations.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
Ehhh.

Some of that I agree with, and some of it I don't. I don't know how anyone can put together an objective analysis of Dahl in light of how often he was moved around, and how he was flanked by 2nd string players at one point. He "graded out negatively in run blocking", but had at least 7 good games (positive grades). As for the negative games, let's take a look at his worst (-2.9 grade). He was playing in Chicago at RG next to Turner and Richardson with Ojinnaka and Hunter filling out the rotation. How is HE going to grade out positively against the Bears' defense, with THAT line, in Chicago? Here's a hint. He can't, because nobody did.

I'm growing weary of guys who only look at stats and then try to form an opinion based on that.

Is he overrated? Someone could make a (better) case, I think. But I honestly don't think he is.

Another dude with a blog.....you can always tell right.

jap

Legend
It's the dog days before training camp. The pen boys are scrambling to find anything! to write about.

Soon they'll be giving us a breakdown if each player's diet and how each forkful impacts his chances for success. :roll:

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
Ehhh.

ehhh +1
this was a fluff piece if ever
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me...

Over rated: Greg Zuerlein

Under rated: Kendall Langford

Look... I love Greg Zuerlein and I think he's got potential to be very-very good. An all pro. But... I am not sold yet.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Under on Langford? I kept waiting for something to pop off the screen when he was out there, but it didn't happen for me. Maybe there is some of that positional nuance where certain assignments let Brockers shine and Langford do the dirty work...but I was just underwhelmed.

And I think GZ's season was sabotaged by that Miami game. Fish shouldn't have put him on the hook for that 60+ yarder. I know it's a kickers job to put that behind him, but he was a rookie from a D-2 school. I just thought it was a bad move.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Warner4Prez said:
Under on Langford? I kept waiting for something to pop off the screen when he was out there, but it didn't happen for me. Maybe there is some of that positional nuance where certain assignments let Brockers shine and Langford do the dirty work...but I was just underwhelmed.

And I think GZ's season was sabotaged by that Miami game. Fish shouldn't have put him on the hook for that 60+ yarder. I know it's a kickers job to put that behind him, but he was a rookie from a D-2 school. I just thought it was a bad move.

I'll agree with your GZ comments. It was too much.

Langford... it's in the dirty work. I thought he did better than the comments you've made (and others have made as well). Thats just me.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram excited about Langford:

So who do you think is underestimating him and what kind of player do you think he actually is?

I think he came on at the end of the year and is going to have a very good year. Not fantastic but a very good player.

EDIT: I just read the other posts above this one but I'd still like your thoughts on how good you think he is.

fearsomefour

Legend
Overrated: Zuerline. Love the kid, but, for all the reasons listed before my post. You gotta hit the 35 yarders for the 50 yarders to mean something.

Overrated: Cook. I am a huge fan of this signing and see a lot of ways he can be an exciting and effective playmaker for the Rams, the reality is, he has never done it in the NFL.

Underrated: Dunbar. Maybe not by Rams fans but certainly by the league. His impact was immediate and played a major roll in the Rams D turning it around last year in my opinion.

Underrated: Kendricks. Is very close to being a very complete and very good TE. Struggled early with his hands and with blocking. Both improved last year. His blocking the second half of last season was very good.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram excited about Langford:

So who do you think is underestimating him and what kind of player do you think he actually is?

I think he came on at the end of the year and is going to have a very good year. Not fantastic but a very good player.

EDIT: I just read the other posts above this one but I'd still like your thoughts on how good you think he is.

You said it; a very good player.

I'm not suggesting he's anything more than that.

But his contribution has been questioned around here (mostly because of his salary) but I think we need to give this one a little more time.

It's a tough position to evaluate.