Rams might be willing to make move in draft/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams might be willing to make move in draft
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15192/rams-might-be-willing-to-make-move-in-draft

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- This is a topic that we'll likely explore multiple times and much more in depth in the coming weeks and months, but lost in all the discussion of things like quarterback Sam Bradford at St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher's end-of-year news conference was a seemingly innocent answer to a more loaded question.

Fisher and his staff are a long way from being prepared for this draft and there's so much that has to play out between now and the end of April, but where Fisher usually brushes aside specific questions about the draft this far removed, he offered a little something when asked directly about the plausibility of making a move up.

“I think those are options for you," Fisher said.

What followed was a little more telling as Fisher hinted that the Rams' early opinion of the 2015 NFL draft is that it simply isn't that deep in talent.

"Our decision to go ahead and trade for [safety] Mark [Barron] was not necessarily only based on Mark’s potential and his ability," Fisher said. "It was also based on our feeling as it relates to this year’s draft and the strength of this year’s draft. All of those things are tied together. So, that kind of gives you an idea. We’ll go into draft stuff at a later time.”

Indeed, there will be plenty of time for that later on but it's telling that Fisher was willing to volunteer that the Rams dealt fourth- and sixth-round picks for Barron in part because they don't see a lot of value in the draft.

Now, that doesn't mean the Rams are ready to mortgage their premium picks (rounds one through three) or future premium picks to move up for a player, but it does tell you that Fisher believes his team might be in position where it doesn't need to stack quantity as much as it did when he took over in 2012.

Obviously, a Rams move up in most minds would include the targeting of a top quarterback. As it stands, Oregon's Marcus Mariota and Florida State's Jameis Winston are the primary names people believe will go in the early part of the first round at that position. The Rams hold the 10th pick in the draft and it seems unlikely either will fall to No. 10, though off-the-field questions could push Winston down further.

Being stuck at 10, the cost to move up to the top two or three to get a quarterback might be prohibitive, but based on Fisher's response it's clearly not something we can close the door on here in January.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher could be telling the truth. He could also be setting the stage so that if the Rams get a call to move down a little on draft day, the team coming to them would know that they would have to make a solid offer. No low balling on the draft value charts this year to move down for the Rams.

I'm actually hoping that somebody the Browns really want drops to #10, and the Rams have 3 players they want there. The Browns have an extra 1st, 4th and 6th this year, and the value of the drop could be easily made up by one of their 4ths and one of their 6ths.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm with Boffo.
Only way for us is down.
4 picks in the top 3 rnds would be the way to go it seems.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Trade down in the 2nd round and if you end up with a draft like this...I'm good.
Your score is: 5460 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 10: Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford (A)
Round 2 Pick 20 (PHI): Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia (A)
Round 3 Pick 8: Arie Kouandjio, OG, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 20 (PHI): Hroniss Grasu, C, Oregon (A)
Round 4 Pick 20 (PHI): Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss (A)
Round 5 Pick 9: Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State (A)
Round 7 Pick 10: Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke (A)

http://first-pick.com/Default.aspx

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't know how much sense trading down makes these days.

There are 53 spots on the roster and we are really young all over the board. Realistically, how many roster spots are up for grabs at this point?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
What would be the plan with the QB situation?
I'm with you on Glennon.
I don't like Hundleys' run first attitude.
Petty or Jones could be available in the second or third don't you think?
I haven't seen Grayson. Any input on him.

Athos

Legend

There are 53 spots on the roster and we are really young all over the board. Realistically, how many roster spots are up for grabs at this point?

We need premium talent at a couple positions, not depth.

You could argue the necessity of a premium OG/C/OT/LB/WR.

Maybe in that order.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If I were to prioritize:

C/G/WR/LB/OT

Now if we lose Barksdale to FA, then OT moves up to #3 on that list but I have a hunch he will be back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with you on Glennon.
I don't like Hundleys' run first attitude.
Petty or Jones could be available in the second or third don't you think?
I haven't seen Grayson. Any input on him.

Jones is anything but a lock to declare. And if he does, he's not a guy you play immediately.

I'm just not a fan of Petty. But as I said, I'll give him another shot when I have time.

Grayson doesn't strike me as a future starter. See him as a Kirk Cousins/Ryan Nassib type player.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Jones is anything but a lock to declare. And if he does, he's not a guy you play immediately.

I'm just not a fan of Petty. But as I said, I'll give him another shot when I have time.

Grayson doesn't strike me as a future starter. See him as a Kirk Cousins/Ryan Nassib type player.
last week was the first time I've seen Jones. I'm looking forward to seeing him go against Mariota next week.
I haven't seen Grayson, but I've seen plenty of talk about him.
I think any QB we draft will have to sit. Even if we make a move for Mariota or Winston.

lockdnram21

Legend

yea and Demoff said we dont want to be youngest team in nfl anymore

lockdnram21

Legend
If I were to prioritize:

C/G/WR/LB/OT

Now if we lose Barksdale to FA, then OT moves up to #3 on that list but I have a hunch he will be back.
where do you guys see this need for receiverBecause im lost . Fisher didnt draft receiver when most u thought we needed on now that Britt,Quick, and Bailey have showed promise u still want a receiver. Might i add we still have the #8 pick to get the ball to

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
last week was the first time I've seen Jones. I'm looking forward to seeing him go against Mariota next week.
I haven't seen Grayson, but I've seen plenty of talk about him.
I think any QB we draft will have to sit. Even if we make a move for Mariota or Winston.

We can make the choice to sit Winston or Mariota but both could realistically play.(you would just have to deal with the issues that come with a rookie QB)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
where do you guys see this need for receiverBecause im lost . Fisher didnt draft receiver when most u thought we needed on now that Britt,Quick, and Bailey have showed promise u still want a receiver. Might i add we still have the #8 pick to get the ball to

Early reports were that Quicks shoulder injury was very bad. Do the Rams take a chance on another serious injury going into next season?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So Fishers comments about the draft being weak could also mean that they are going to be active in Free agency. Or that they will trade any remaining late picks to move up in round 2 or move their second rounder back into round 1 if possible.

It could also mean that they will trade up in round 1. Or trade back in round 1 and get an extra 2.

It could also mean that they will try and trade all of their later picks for picks next year. If they fill holes in free agency.

There are many many ways this could go. As long as they stick to their board and don't reach I trust them. Last years draft was pretty good. It was the first year that they didn't try to fill out the multitude of roster holes but instead stuck to BPA. Donald, Joyner, Mason, Alexander............they all seemed to be 'like' picks and not 'need' picks. And it worked out pretty well. This is when we really see how good Snead is at evaluating talent. If he pulls off another year or two of successful picks like he did in 2014, then this team will have a very bright future.

Sign a Guard
Trade for Glennon or Cutler
Draft a WR round 1
Draft a Center round 2

They don't need the rest of the picks and if it is a weak class then why not trade them away?

lockdnram21

Legend
Early reports were that Quicks shoulder injury was very bad. Do the Rams take a chance on another serious injury going into next season?[/QUOT Long as Britt resigns were cool. but no way we draft rceiver in first round. Dont even think its a option justvlike it wasnt last year

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We can make the choice to sit Winston or Mariota but both could realistically play.(you would just have to deal with the issues that come with a rookie QB)
I wouldn't be comfortable starting any of the rookie qbs.