Rams midseason awards: Sam Bradford can't do it alone

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-r ... o-it-alone
After a surprising 3-2 start, the Rams have dropped three straight. They play five of their final eight games on the road, where they're winless. To turn things around, quarterback Sam Bradford needs a healthy Danny Amendola and Chris Givens, and the defense must get back to forcing turnovers. Here are our midseason awards, along with a projection about where we think the Rams will end up.

Offensive MVP -- Bradford: He's on pace to set career highs in completion percentage (61.4), yards per attempt (7.2), and passer-rating (82.4), and he's done it with a makeshift offensive line and a banged-up receiving corps.

Defensive MVP -- CB Cortland Finnegan: The free-agent signee leads the team with three interceptions, including a pick-6, and ranks second with 52 tackles. Opposing QBs have a 64.8 passer-rating when throwing at Finnegan.

Rookie MVP -- RB Daryl Richardson: The seventh-round pick averages a whopping 5.4 yards per carry and has caught 14 passes. His speed and burst complement Steven Jackson's power.

Top assistant coach -- John Fassel: The special teams coordinator deserves some credit for the success of rookie kicker Greg Zuerlein (5 of 7 from 50-plus yards) and rookie punter Johnny Hekker (49.0 average). But the return game has been wanting.

Biggest disappointment -- WR Brian Quick: Taken 33rd overall, the rookie out of Appalachian State has just five catches. In the loss to New England, he dropped a pass and had to be told where to line up.

Biggest strength -- Defensive line: Chris Long (30 QB hurries) and Robert Quinn (seven sacks) form one of the best DE tandems in the league, and rookie DT Michael Brockers has impressed since returning from his high-ankle sprain.

Biggest weakness -- Wideouts: It's no coincidence that the losing streak started when Amendola sprained his SC joint. Rookie Givens has been a pleasant surprise, but this is one of the NFL's thinnest units.

Projected final record -- 6-10

Playoffs? Not this year -- just solid improvement from last year's 2-14 debacle.

One fact you may not know but should know: The Rams have not forced a turnover in three straight games and have no interceptions in their last four games.

Get more Rams updates and analysis from Larry Hartstein @CBSRams.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I have to agree - and i do think if Danny A was on the field in Miami, we would have blown them out of the water - Sam and Danny know how to get 1st dwns - I never expected to beat Green Bay and New England (this year)

bluecoconuts

Legend
I thought we could expose NE's weak defense, but I didn't expect our defense to fold that quickly. Once it came apparent they would score on pretty much every possession (which came pretty fast) I knew we'd be screwed.

We're getting there though, only one game where we weren't competitive. That's pretty good.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
sostl said:
i would give top assistant coach to Boudreau

Agreed. They've both done a fine job though.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Username said:
sostl said:
i would give top assistant coach to Boudreau

Agreed. They've both done a fine job though.

Same here, they've both done very good. I think my nod goes to Boudreau as well because we have a lot of talent at K and P even if they're rookies... Not so much at offensive line. Especially not now.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Glad to hear Bradford is on a pace for a decent year. I just want him to lead us in some final-minute game winning drives.