Rams meet up with RB, FB, TE at Shrine practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/1/14/7546101/east-west-shrine-game-nfl-scouts-st-louis-rams

St. Louis Rams Meet With RB, FB, and TE at East-West Shrine Game Practice

I posted this on the Shrine game thread but some don't read it so I put it here too. My guess is that these guys may be UDFA types, or surely late round picks.

I am sure that the Rams are looking at other players in that game too.

However after reading about the players it makes me wonder what they are thinking. Do they just like them in general?

Are they really thinking about getting a true FB Aaron Ripkowski?!

The TE Blake Bell Oklahoma, really seems to be a developmental guy but are they considering a future without Kendricks? This guy seems like he can catch and block very well and is football smart being a former QB. He is just very raw.

The RB Malcolm Brown Texas made me think maybe they really are hoping to field offers for Zac Stacy. He is a one cut and go back with decent size and power. Why would the Rams need that if Stacy is on the roster?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Maybe the plan is to move Blake Bell back to Quarterback.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He is a horrible QB.

Then he'll fit right in then.;) That was more tongue and cheek I guess he could offer something else because he was very good at running the football so they could have him line up taking the snaps in a wild cat formation.

Also maybe this is more of an indication that TE Coach Rob Boras is going to be promoted to OC.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see us get a true FB, let Kendricks walk, and move Harkey to TE...unless re-signing Kendricks is really cheap. I like Kendricks but it would be more cost efficient to bring in a true FB and move Harkey to TE.

I'm not a huge Malcolm Brown fan, though.

FRO

Legend
I'd like to see us get a true FB, let Kendricks walk, and move Harkey to TE...unless re-signing Kendricks is really cheap. I like Kendricks but it would be more cost efficient to bring in a true FB and move Harkey to TE.

I agree. Kendricks is a nice player but easily replaceable. If we can get him cheap, good. If not let him walk.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd like to see us get a true FB, let Kendricks walk, and move Harkey to TE...
fowler-td-run-almondjpg-aadbcfa3b32eac68.jpg

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Harkey doesn't have the receiving ability of Kendricks though. I guess that doesn't matter much if we don't send Kendricks out for routes anyway, but I think that'd be a significant downgrade in the receiving department.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Harkey doesn't have the receiving ability of Kendricks though. I guess that doesn't matter much if we don't send Kendricks out for routes anyway, but I think that'd be a significant downgrade in the receiving department.

No, he doesn't. But like you said, we didn't use Lance that often. Plus, Harkey can catch the ball well enough to be a threat.

@den-the-coach I like Fowler but I'm not sure about using a 5th round pick on a FB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If they are leaning Fullback, I wonder why the change.

Is it because they feel Kendricks is not good enough to resign? Do they want a better blocker in Harkey at TE, so they are happy to let Lance walk?

Maybe the decision to not get a fullback was always Schottenheimers and Fisher prefers fullbacks? Did he have good fullbacks in Tennessee?

I am sure they are just doing their homework and exploring options. It is curious that this is the only report of Shrine game contacts the Rams had.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they are leaning Fullback, I wonder why the change.

Is it because they feel Kendricks is not good enough to resign? Do they want a better blocker in Harkey at TE, so they are happy to let Lance walk?

Maybe the decision to not get a fullback was always Schottenheimers and Fisher prefers fullbacks? Did he have good fullbacks in Tennessee?

I am sure they are just doing their homework and exploring options. It is curious that this is the only report of Shrine game contacts the Rams had.

Maybe the opposite? Maybe they feel that he's going to get a starting caliber offer elsewhere and we won't be able to afford to re-sign him as a #2 TE.

I noted in my mock draft that a FB would be a more cost efficient option with Harkey moving to Kendricks's role.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'd really rather have Harkey stay in his HB/TE position and bring in someone like Alex Bayer to replace Kendricks. Although I'd like to see us keep Lance.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I admit that before this season, I was all "What the hecks, Fisher needs a true FB!"

But then this season, I saw the light of Harkey's awesomeness. All hail Harkey. Not as much as we hail Lord Hekker, but still hail.