Rams may Trans tag Tru

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Via Tweeter, team may consider using the transition tag on Tru. Which would save the team 2 mill per year vs. using the Franchise tag

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/20/rams-consider-transition-tag-for-trumaine-johnson/

Rams consider transition tag for Trumaine Johnson
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 20, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpty3ngq4mge3mjlkmdczywrjnwi2n2njzdljmddlmdbi-e1450039572113.jpeg
AP

The Los Angeles Rams may use the transition tag to retain cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

Johnson, who had seven interceptions last season, is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the start of the league year. There’s been talk that Johnson could be franchised, but Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Rams might place the transition tag, not the franchise tag, on Johnson if the two sides don’t reach a long-term deal.

Like the franchise tag, the transition tag gives a team the right to match an offer one of its free agents signs. So if the Rams put the transition tag on Johnson and he signs with another team, they could choose to keep him by matching the offer. That’s what the Browns did two years ago with center Alex Mack, who signed an offer sheet with the Jaguars that the Browns matched.

For the Rams, the advantage to using the transition tag instead of the franchise tag is that it wouldn’t cost them as much if Johnson ends up signing the tender offer and playing this season on the tag. The franchise tag salary for cornerbacks this season is expected to be $13.7 million, while the transition tag salary for cornerbacks is expected to be $11.7 million.

Last year, one player got the transition tag: Dolphins tight end Charles Clay, who ended up signing an offer sheet with the Bills that the Dolphins declined to match. When a transition tagged player switches teams, the original team does not get draft pick compensation.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

they didn't create all this cap space to tag people.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Maybe around 42 million of the 66 for tru, jj, barron, hayes, and mccloud.

Saffold money next year, and maybe some from this year, for brockers.

Leaves around 24 mill for draft class, kicker, and maybe 2 nice offensive free agents

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'm hoping Johnson just wants to go play in Los Angeles and just signs a new contract

jap

Legend
If there truly is a transition tag consideration, it is probably only a delaying tactic while both sides work out an agreement. We can use Tru's size with all the big WRs in our division alone, let alone the rest of the league. You don't find too many 6'2" CBs with the loose hips that allows them to adjust easily to WR moves.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm hoping Johnson just wants to go play in Los Angeles and just signs a new contract

That is entirely possible. I believe they made the recent cuts because they know they'll have to pony up to keep JJ and Tru. I think they're gonna try as hard as possible to sign them. Barron, Hayes and McCleod need to be signed too. When its all said and done I think there's a better than 50/50 chance of bringing them all back. I know they want to stay and finish what they started.

RamBill

Legend
Transition tag continues to make little sense

Posted by Mike Florio

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/21/transition-tag-continues-to-make-little-sense/

In the years before the transition tag did not become fully guaranteed upon signing, it made some sense to use it. And multiple teams did. Since the transition tag became fully guaranteed as part of the 2006 CBA extension, it has been used more sparingly.

The reason is simple. To use the transition tag, a significant investment on a one-year guaranteed deal is required, and if the player signs an offer sheet elsewhere that isn’t matched, there’s no compensation. By kicking in a little more on a one-year deal, the current team gets two first-round picks if the player leaves — which means for most players that he won’t be leaving.

But teams still use it, even though the end result in recent years hasn’t been great. When the Browns applied it to center Alex Mack, Mack finagled an offer sheet from the Jaguars with a provision allowing him to void the deal after two years. Now, two years later, the Browns have to worry about whether Mack will leave, along with what it may take to keep him to stay.

Last year, the Dolphins used the transition tag on tight end Charles Clay, who was gobbled up by a division rival with an offer sheet Miami wouldn’t match.

In both cases, another million or two on a one-year franchise tender would have kept that from happening.

So why do teams keep using the transition tag? Some may be doing it just to see what the player’s value is, knowing that if it’s too high they’ll let him walk. Others possibly don’t want the franchise tender to lay the foundation for a long-term deal.

Regardless, if anyone gets the transition tag this year (the Rams have leaked that they’re considering it with cornerback Trumaine Johnson), there’s no reason to think the outcome will be any different than what has happened the last two years. Either Johnson will get an offer sheet the Rams can’t or won’t match, or he’ll get an offer sheet with a legitimate poison pill embedded in it.

Whatever happens, don’t expect Johnson to adopt the same approach as former Steelers tackle Max Starks. When Pittsburgh applied the transition tag to Starks in 2008 — and once he realized the salary became fully guaranteed when the tender is accepted — Starks signed it. Johnson, per a league source, won’t be signing the transition tender, if it’s applied. Instead, he’ll be doing exactly what Mack did in 2014 and what Clay did in 2015: Looking aggressively for an offer from another team.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Considering the amount of Int's Tru came up with (7), I have a hard time picturing Norman ahead of Johnson!
No NFL CB runs faster ................I mean his mouth than Norman.

One thing going for the Rams here is Trumaine is a Southern CA native. Stands a good chance he would really love to play NFL football near his hometown.

I have no ideal how things are going to work out with both these starting CB's testing the free market. I consider it doubtful that we are able to retain both.

The back seven defense can hold up very well if the Ram Org. were able to sign 1 starting corner, Barron & McLeod 3 out of 4 Ram DB UFA's. I consider that 3/4 probable. The CB unit of 1 UFA corner, Gaines, Joyner & Roberson will do well. So the Ram world should not be too concerned if Ram org fails to dump tons of cap $$$ on both UFA CB's for long term deals.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Considering the amount of Int's Tru came up with (7), I have a hard time picturing Norman ahead of Johnson!
OR JJ for that matter! I hope that they keep Tru if they can only keep one of them.

nighttrain

Legend
No NFL CB runs faster ................I mean his mouth than Norman.

One thing going for the Rams here is Trumaine is a Southern CA native. Stands a good chance he would really love to play NFL football near his hometown.

I have no ideal how things are going to work out with both these starting CB's testing the free market. I consider it doubtful that we are able to retain both.

The back seven defense can hold up very well if the Ram Org. were able to sign 1 starting corner, Barron & McLeod 3 out of 4 Ram DB UFA's. I consider that 3/4 probable. The CB unit of 1 UFA corner, Gaines, Joyner & Roberson will do well. So the Ram world should not be too concerned if Ram org fails to dump tons of cap $$$ on both UFA CB's for long term deals.
dont forget Gaines will be returning
train

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
dont forget Gaines will be returning
train

Will he? And how will he play?

Lis Franc injuries are hard to fully return from - he may be back at full speed, I hope he does fully return. But I don't know if the Rams should count on that.

nighttrain

Legend
then if hope is all i have, that;s more than i have for Foles turning into a decent starting QB
train