Rams may have to choose between Cory Littleton and Dante Fowler

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Perhaps. It's funny though how many people were so down on Fowler when we traded for him. Then after 2 years with us he's turned into a pretty good player. Interesting how you don't have confidence in our coaches turning around people they chose over a guy written off as a bust just 14 months ago.
It’s just sort of reality.
It usually doesn’t work out.
Fowler was a first round pick. There was some athleticism there for sure.
I’m not saying it won’t happen but there certainly isn’t anything there that is proven.
Let’s say the Rams let both Fowler and Littleton walk.
Sampson in for Fowler and say Young in for Littleton. Maybe they will both end up great, but, it’s not likely.
We saw how well it worked on the OL.
It may still workout longterm for the OL with Noteboom and Allen fully recovering and developing into dominating players.
To count on it without trying to add other options seems foolish.
It is necessary to take this approach sometimes of course. Reality of a salary cap and competition.
Very hard to see how a LB Corp without Littleton and Fowler could possibly be as good.....but, who knows?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I fully believe that the trade for Kenny Young was with the thought in mind of losing Littleton.

I love Littleton. The guy has worked so hard to become the player he is and is a true disciple of Bones - loves playing special teams and is damn good there too.

I certainly think he'd be a loss for our team but like I said I fully believe Kenny Young was identified as a guy to bring in here for competition once Littleton moves on.

fearsomefour

Legend
Drop pennies for what? You just helped to reinforce what I said. Ebukam, Polite, Holland etc etc would benefit the same as Fowler did.
I’m sure they would.
Can they develop to his level as a pass rusher or be better? Possibly.
As of now one guy (Sampson) has found a roll, consistently getting snaps.
Oko worked his way in a bit and shows potential.
In fairness to them Fowler never posted meaningful stats until this year. He has developed over the last year and a half.
In fairness to Fowler he has been a starter in the NFL. The other guys are a couple role players and practice squad guys.
I like their potential but so far that is it.
With the Rams carrying guys and adding guys (Polite, Holland) who can play Edge it seems they are focusing a lot of attention to find talent at that spot.
I’m assuming they are making plans for if/when Fowler moves on.

fearsomefour

Legend
I fully believe that the trade for Kenny Young was with the thought in mind of losing Littleton.

I love Littleton. The guy has worked so hard to become the player he is and is a true disciple of Bones - loves playing special teams and is damn good there too.

I certainly think he'd be a loss for our team but like I said I fully believe Kenny Young was identified as a guy to bring in here for competition once Littleton moves on.
Or to start next to him.
I think both things are true.
Rams have a lot of potential Edge guys also.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Or to start next to him.
I think both things are true.
Rams have a lot of potential Edge guys also.

I don't know Kenny Young that well but from what I've read they are pretty similar players.

Rams could potentially snag three third round picks in 2021 with comps on Littleton, Fowler, and Brockers. Unlikely but possible.

We have depth at both OLB and ILB. Very unproven, but drafted with this in mind.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Drop pennies for what? You just helped to reinforce what I said. Ebukam, Polite, Holland etc etc would benefit the same as Fowler did.
you will take your rebuke, and like it!

Ram65

Legend
Those numbers are staggering especially for the Rams at this point. I've been on the Littleton bandwagon but, I don't know if they can work out the numbers. This article has him close to $15 Million per year. Rams have their hands full trying to keep this defense competitive.

Edit: If Demoff can work some magic there is a chance CL can get resigned. Littleton has been healthy so higher guarantees could lower cap numbers plus the Rams will have more money after 2020. We can hope.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't know Kenny Young that well but from what I've read they are pretty similar players.

Rams could potentially snag three third round picks in 2021 with comps on Littleton, Fowler, and Brockers. Unlikely but possible.

We have depth at both OLB and ILB. Very unproven, but drafted with this in mind.
True.
Although unproven depth are just roster fillers to me.
Who knows?
Young lost his starting job with the Ravens and hasn’t seen the field for the Rams.
So, they aren’t on fire for him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Those guys, plus $13M in cap space certainly is in the ballpark.
I mean you are talking about replacing a pro bowl level player with guys who haven’t been able to log big snap numbers or get off the practice squad.
It would stand to reason there would be a major drop off.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Really starting to come around on the idea that you let Littleton walk. This team needs help on both lines and that's more important than a 14M ILB/WLB IMO. I'm looking at this like a flipping an asset. Rams paid next to nothing and can flip that into a 3rd or 4th round Comp pick. Ideally we would have the Cap space to pay him because he's excellent, but the way money is allocated right now, there are holes at crucial positions that need to be addressed first.
I have faith in Snead to find a good LB replacement. He made the deal for Mark Barron and he turned into a really good LB. Then he found Littleton and he developed from a ST ace to a Pro Bowl caliber LB. I think Snead and the scouting department can find good LBs anywhere from round 3-UDFA. It's harder to find lineman that are starting caliber later in the draft and undrafted IMO.

Ram65

Legend
I think Snead and the scouting department can find good LBs anywhere from round 3-UDFA.

I'm not sure at all about this. Finding a LBer that can play the run and cover like CL is not going to be easy. I was worried about Barron leaving but, CL played better. The problem was they didn't have anyone to replace CL. Rams will need to find two IBLers. Not resigning CL opens another big hole. A later round draft pick will need some time to develop as CL did. I guess there is no easy answer to solving some of the future defensive question marks.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm not sure at all about this. Finding a LBer that can play the run and cover like CL is not going to be easy. I was worried about Barron leaving but, CL played better. The problem was they didn't have anyone to replace CL. Rams will need to find two IBLers. Not resigning CL opens another big hole. A later round draft pick will need some time to develop as CL did. I guess there is no easy answer to solving some of the future defensive question marks.

I understand the desire to keep him. I love him as a player. He's good at everything and tough as nails too. I think he's the best Ram LB since Fletcher so it would be unfortunate to have to let him walk. I just think the Rams should commit resources towards fortifying each side of the line after watching this year. I keep going back to Wade's Broncos and the Giants SB D's. Great pass rushers, solid run stopping lineman and journeyman LBs that were soild. It's nice to have a blue chip LB, but they aren't a necessity IMO.