Rams May Build Depth on OL in 2018 Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Jamon Brown is more versatile IMO he has played four OL positions thus far LT & RT in college & both OG posts in the NFL. No way of knowing what Kromer thinks but we do know that he wanted Havenstein in @ RG over Brown early this season. I do believe that Brown is a much better natural left side OL'er than right side.

I'm not comfortable with Brown at OT after the last go round. He did get much better at RG during the season though. It's possible they draft a future LT that can be a swing OG/OT for a year or two. Actually, Hav had some bad moments and he could be upgraded/replaced and then become a swing lineman.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'd like to see the Rams draft a play now type player that will help them immediately I'm all for finding a Whitworth replacement but definitely not with our first pick and if you could address a back up tackle through free agency or a vet cut later on to hold the fort down someone line in there early 30's just to spell or step in for Whitworth in case of injury just til we find that one young guy it would buy us time provide depth at tackle and be able to draft someone that could help right away. That would be my plan any thoughts????

fearsomefour

Legend
No but he's valuable depth and I'd like to have him on our roster. Rams should have kept him IMO.
I would Havenstein year too. This year I think Blythe beats him out. Since they fill the same sort of role (C/G) I doubt they would have kept both, but, maybe.
Or they would not have pursued Blythe.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They should be in win now mode, if they draft a LT high why would he start?
Because he could possibly be better than LG (doubtful), RG (possible), RT (probable)....or even better than Whitworth....his play was noticeably in decline the last few weeks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not comfortable with Brown at OT after the last go round. He did get much better at RG during the season though. It's possible they draft a future LT that can be a swing OG/OT for a year or two. Actually, Hav had some bad moments and he could be upgraded/replaced and then become a swing lineman.

Me either, he sure has the look of an NFL OG. I still maintain that Jamon Brown best side is @ LEFT in the NFL. If Havenstein is replaced as you suggested when would he become a swing OL'er? Once he departs for Free Agency this time next yr?

Whatever the Rams Org decides to do with this OL will happen between now & next year in March because 4/5ths of starting OL will have entered free agency. If there's no cap funds to get all all four resigned then Blythe may end up being our best interior OL'er. None of which will be good for Goff.

Ram65

Legend
Me either, he sure has the look of an NFL OG. I still maintain that Jamon Brown best side is @ LEFT in the NFL. If Havenstein is replaced as you suggested when would he become a swing OL'er? Once he departs for Free Agency this time next yr?

Whatever the Rams Org decides to do with this OL will happen between now & next year in March because 4/5ths of starting OL will have entered free agency. If there's no cap funds to get all all four resigned then Blythe may end up being our best interior OL'er. None of which will be good for Goff.

I didn't say it was a perfect solution. The point here is the Rams offensive line is not versatile. The only one that can move around is the one that you don't want to move. The really isn't room to bring in someone that play inside and move outside as McVay suggested.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see the Rams draft a play now type player that will help them immediately I'm all for finding a Whitworth replacement but definitely not with our first pick and if you could address a back up tackle through free agency or a vet cut later on to hold the fort down someone line in there early 30's just to spell or step in for Whitworth in case of injury just til we find that one young guy it would buy us time provide depth at tackle and be able to draft someone that could help right away. That would be my plan any thoughts????

Who says he can't play now at RT or RG? Also it would be sad to pass up on a guy who in a year or two would be protecting our franchise QB and opening up holes for our MVP caliber RB just because he doesn't start right away. We need a LT of the future so what are we going to do wait until Whitworth retires to rush to find a replacement? Try to slot in some rookie there who needs some time to acclimate to the NFL game? Not all rookies can step in right away at LT. Fortunately Snead and company know that we don't just draft for the current year but for the long term.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Who says he can't play now at RT or RG? Also it would be sad to pass up on a guy who in a year or two would be protecting our franchise QB and opening up holes for our MVP caliber RB just because he doesn't start right away. We need a LT of the future so what are we going to do wait until Whitworth retires to rush to find a replacement? Try to slot in some rookie there who needs some time to acclimate to the NFL game? Not all rookies can step in right away at LT. Fortunately Snead and company know that we don't just draft for the current year but for the long term.

Never said that....what I said is I'd like for them to draft a player who can contribute right away (hopefully) and sign a tackle who is younger than Whitworth either a free agent or a vet cut and when I say younger I mean 30,31, even 32....and take a tackle later in draft or next years draft and he can still develop behind the two veterans not only does that provide depth this year on the line but also allows us to improve now through the draft. As we all know unless your the patriots in today's day and age in football your windows do not stay open for a long time in most cases they close rather quickly either cap hell, major injuries, or poor drafting lead to the demise of a team before you can blink. I'm all for grooming a tackle but not at the expense of this years pick especially with no 2nd rounder unless a major tackle falls and even then I think twice see grob and Jason smith. You can find some gems in later rounds and with our coaching who knows (cam Robinson was a 2nd rounder) but there are tackles for grooming later in the draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never said that....what I said is I'd like for them to draft a player who can contribute right away (hopefully) and sign a tackle who is younger than Whitworth either a free agent or a vet cut and when I say younger I mean 30,31, even 32....and take a tackle later in draft or next years draft and he can still develop behind the two veterans not only does that provide depth this year on the line but also allows us to improve now through the draft. As we all know unless your the patriots in today's day and age in football your windows do not stay open for a long time in most cases they close rather quickly either cap hell, major injuries, or poor drafting lead to the demise of a team before you can blink. I'm all for grooming a tackle but not at the expense of this years pick especially with no 2nd rounder unless a major tackle falls and even then I think twice see grob and Jason smith. You can find some gems in later rounds and with our coaching who knows (cam Robinson was a 2nd rounder) but there are tackles for grooming later in the draft.

I'd like to see the Rams draft a play now type player that will help them immediately I'm all for finding a Whitworth replacement but definitely not with our first pick

The second quote is what I was responding to. Again if we take an OT with our first pick and he plays RT or RG or even swing tackle backup it's not a bad thing.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Drafting a player that can "play now" is almost impossible. With college football playing spread O and OL spread out and not coming out of a three point stance, not having to read NFL type defenses and blitz packages makes it so.

There are a few colleges that play pro style, Iowa, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Ohio St. LSU, but even there only a few O linemen are NFL ready.

Have to get used to the idea it takes a couple of seasons of grooming and coaching for an O lineman coming out of college to be NFL ready. I'm sure McVay and Kromer know that.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I just wanted to say, whoever they draft or sign, I hope he follows the mold of acquisitions that McSnead has gone after so far. SMART and wants to be coached. No more boneheads!

Anti-Jeff Fisher
prototypes - dumb football players i.e. Brian Quick,Tavon Austin

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I didn't say it was a perfect solution. The point here is the Rams offensive line is not versatile. The only one that can move around is the one that you don't want to move. The really isn't room to bring in someone that play inside and move outside as McVay suggested.
Boudreau in his past seemed to be totally focused on getting his OL'ers able to play numerous OL posts. I would think that Jamon Brown would fall into this description. JB's resume has many different posts involved. We all know that Rodger Saffold is an unbelievably versatile NFL OL'er may be off the charts. Both of these versatile starting Ram OG's fall into this description fully. Sullivan, Whitworth & Havenstein ??? I say no.

At this time the Rams only have 3 signed under contract reserves OL'ers.These 3 do have a look that they have some versatility about them. None look like they have any OT in them. Rams will eventually go out & try to find some OT's in free agency & also in the draft & we will have to review them once they have corralled them. Rams have some work to do on this future 2018 OL cadre.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am wondering when Snead speaks of moving a proven OL'er like a Saffold ?

"One option could be to start a younger player inside and then move him to the outside — though both of the Rams’ guards played well in 2017. That, however, is the approach Cincinnati took with Whitworth early in his career, as the 2006 second-round pick began his career at left guard before sliding to left tackle in 2009."

Might Snead be thinking pondering of moving left OG sliding him outside to LT in the near future? Or is he speaking of Right OG Jamon Brown to RT or a yet unknown 2018 drafted OL'er?

Saffold was a drafted LT back in 2010 & won the starting OT post initially for his first 3 seasons before he was moved inside. Saffold has been working himself back in near pro bowl level of play in 2017. By the later half of the 2013 season he was a permanent starting OG till this date. Who is Snead talking about? Both Saffold & Brown could be departed after next season due to free agency.....is this where Snead is at?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saffold is a pro bowl caliber left guard let’s enjoy that and stop wanting to move him back to a spot he has been hurt at multiple times and replaced multiple time :D

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think it can't be stated how lucky we were to have the health of our Oline that we did this year. I think we were waaaay above the mean. I'd worry less about picking up some OT/OG depth and having them play along the line as a starter than that guy sitting a year but still playing some games due to injuries.

Another thought, Saffold stays put but an OT prospect that showed a lot of promise would compete for Havenstein's spot or push Havenstein inside for at least a year. In this situation, Havenstein and Brown duke it out for starter status. Back in the day, many a future LOT started at RT for a year or so.

If we're lucky enough to fill most needs in FA, we're a good enough team that we can draft for the future and not seek immediate starters at some spots. Wow... can't believe I wrote that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I'm with Peyote on this, ... and who can be that sure that at #23 such a future elite LT prospect and current replacement for Havenstein/Brown is even available or exists ? Havenstein & Brown are cheap in 2018, we should squeeze out what value they have now. RT's and OG's are much easier to replace than elite LT's. If you demote Hav or Brown in 2018, you can bet they will be gone in free agency 2019. With two years and three drafts before Whitworth is gone, I'd prefer to focus on finding a developmental LT who could step in as a swing OT/OG for at least the 2018 season, someone who is an instant upgrade over Darrell Williams and has a strong future competing for a starter position from 2019 on.
I want that 1'st round pick of ours as a starter for a position which will boost the team right away, save CAP and help influence a deeper run in the play-offs, I kinda doubt a first year offensive lineman drafted late first, early second round has that much immediate impact over what we already have. If we had a second round pick we might consider trading up for a top LT if it's really a future Whitworth replacement as the ultimate prize, ... but we don't have a 2'nd rd draft pick, for that we'll have to wait until the 2019 draft. If you want to panic over the OL, I can't stop you, and if Havenstein/Brown becoming free agents in 2019 is your worry, you still have two drafts and two free agency periods to improve that situation also. My only concern at the moment is re-signing Sullivan to a two year contract asap. There will be good talent in the 3'rd & 4'th rounds this off-season to strengthen our depth and develop future competition. Keep in mind that Havenstein was an overdrafted late 2'nd round pick, and that Jamon Brown was a 3'rd round pick, a legacy of the Fisher era, ... now we get to see what Kromer/McVay can do with the next 3 drafts to rebuild the OL from what may be a scratch position. Just look at what happened in the Shrine game the other day, RT prospect Greg Senat went from obscurity to a potential 3'rd or 4'th rounder overnight. We still have the Senior Bowl and Combine to produce a few more, ... the Rams OL should be fine. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with Peyote on this, ... and who can be that sure that at #23 such a future elite LT prospect and current replacement for Havenstein/Brown is even available or exists ? Havenstein & Brown are cheap in 2018, we should squeeze out what value they have now. RT's and OG's are much easier to replace than elite LT's. If you demote Hav or Brown in 2018, you can bet they will be gone in free agency 2019. With two years and three drafts before Whitworth is gone, I'd prefer to focus on finding a developmental LT who could step in as a swing OT/OG for at least the 2018 season, someone who is an instant upgrade over Darrell Williams and has a strong future competing for a starter position from 2019 on.
I want that 1'st round pick of ours as a starter for a position which will boost the team right away, save CAP and help influence a deeper run in the play-offs, I kinda doubt a first year offensive lineman drafted late first, early second round has that much immediate impact over what we already have. If we had a second round pick we might consider trading up for a top LT if it's really a future Whitworth replacement as the ultimate prize, ... but we don't have a 2'nd rd draft pick, for that we'll have to wait until the 2019 draft. If you want to panic over the OL, I can't stop you, and if Havenstein/Brown becoming free agents in 2019 is your worry, you still have two drafts and two free agency periods to improve that situation also. My only concern at the moment is re-signing Sullivan to a two year contract asap. There will be good talent in the 3'rd & 4'th rounds this off-season to strengthen our depth and develop future competition. Keep in mind that Havenstein was an overdrafted late 2'nd round pick, and that Jamon Brown was a 3'rd round pick, a legacy of the Fisher era, ... now we get to see what Kromer/McVay can do with the next 3 drafts to rebuild the OL from what may be a scratch position. Just look at what happened in the Shrine game the other day, RT prospect Greg Senat went from obscurity to a potential 3'rd or 4'th rounder overnight. We still have the Senior Bowl and Combine to produce a few more, ... the Rams OL should be fine. jmo.

First off I’m not panicking about the oline or it’s depth at all or in any way shape or scenario. I was si,ply responding to one of many posts by people, it seems you as well, that can see the value of a first round lineman.

Secondly from the very early start of us talking about draft picks this year I’ve been pimping 3 or 4 guys to take in the third or fourth round. One guy, Alex Cappa, has gotten love from some others.

Third, Havenstein and at times Brown were the weak links in the line. Also as you point out Sullivan is a free agent and Saffold, Havenstein and Brown are going into their last year of their contracts. Blythe who is the back up at center and Guard also is only signed through 2018. Four fifths of our line was s free agents at the end of next year and the last guy will be 37. Really sounds like something we should push down the road. I can already imagine the endless string of posts here pissing and making that Snead waited till the last minute to fix this when he knew it was coming up, they’re going to be fun to read. Only thing worse would be the threads full of whining about rolling the dice on starting a couple rookies or risky free agents to protect Jared and open holes for Gurley.

Lastly who’s to say a solution to the edge position or starting CB or nose tackle that’s capable of starting is available at 23? Two can play that game.

The Rams oline could be fine after the offseason. The pass rush and secondary might be as well. We don’t know yet anymore Han we know what the oline situation will be. JMO