Rams May Build Depth on OL in 2018 Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-May-Build-Depth-on-OL-in-2018-Offseason/fba8dc0a-5b87-4cbd-89df-5bba697a4b78
By:Myles Simmons Rams Insider

When looking at reasons for the Rams’ offensive success in 2017, one place to start would be the continuity up front.

Los Angeles was the only team in the NFL to have its offensive line combination start the first 15 games of the season. It would have been all 16, but head coach Sean McVay elected to rest four of five starters for the final regular-season game to ensure they’d be healthy for the first round of the playoffs.

While head trainer Reggie Scott and head strength and conditioning coach Ted Rath certainly established plans to maintain players’ health — particularly for veterans like left tackle Andrew Whitwroth and center John Sullivan — head coach Sean McVay acknowledged at the end of the season Los Angeles also had good fortune when it came to injuries in 2017. And that’s something McVay, general manager Les Snead, and their respective staffs will have to be aware of as they begin the process of putting together the 2018 Rams.

“I think one of the things that you do want to be mindful of is the fact that we were so fortunate with the injures this year,” McVay said. “So you look at it [and say,] ‘Alright let's just anticipate and let's just say you don't have that work out in your favor — where are the areas that you want to continue to establish and build that depth? Where are some of the positions?’”

One such spot could be offensive line. Whitworth is under contract for another two seasons with Los Angeles, but he did turn 36 on Dec. 12. And Sullivan — slated to be one an unrestricted free agent in March — will turn 33 on Aug. 8.
Last week, Snead called Sullivan a player “who is hard to replace. You definitely want to keep him around.”

But when it comes to bringing in younger talent to become heir apparent to both players, that may be easier said than done.

“Cincinnati probably tried that for many years, and [Whitworth] just kept playing,” Snead said. “What you do want to do is, somehow, if you can — and I think you have those conversations with those players, knowing this is where you're at in your career — if we do bring someone in, a younger pup, can you help develop the pups? I think that's where they're at.”

One option could be to start a younger player inside and then move him to the outside — though both of the Rams’ guards played well in 2017. That, however, is the approach Cincinnati took with Whitworth early in his career, as the 2006 second-round pick began his career at left guard before sliding to left tackle in 2009.

“On Whitworth, philosophically, a lot of times, you'd love to draft tackles, move them inside, and then eventually have them become tackles again. That would be ideal,” Snead said. “A lot of times, you might need them to play tackle right away. Sometimes, philosophically, whether it's right or wrong, there's a lot of belief that's a good way to go.”

Either way, it’s more likely than not the Rams will have some new faces on the offensive line by the time training camp rolls around in late July.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They need to yes. Question is when. Gonna spend a lot of time looking at the midround OTs, personally, as I think that's the route they'll go. Bring in the OT project, let him start off as OG depth in camp, and go from there.

Hopefully round 1 and 3 will be OLB and CB.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Find a baktiari type IMO. Someone who already understands pass blocking at a high level, but needs strength training and refining their techniques.
I learned my lesson from Jason Smith and Greg Robinson. Raw at Tackle is a huge gamble, no matter the upside of the player.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Find a baktiari type IMO. Someone who already understands pass blocking at a high level, but needs strength training and refining their techniques.
I learned my lesson from Jason Smith and Greg Robinson. Raw at Tackle is a huge gamble, no matter the upside of the player.
You forgot one :)....back in 2005 Rams drafted LT Alex Barron from Florida State with our FIRST round selection. Barron was a Ram for five years. Barron was the most penalized player in the NFL with more than 70 calls against him. Barron became notorious for his false start and holding penalties. In 2009, he led the league with 7 holding penalties.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
You forgot one :)....back in 2005 Rams drafted LT Alex Barron from Florida State with our FIRST round selection. Barron was a Ram for five years. Barron was the most penalized player in the NFL with more than 70 calls against him. Barron became notorious for his false start and holding penalties. In 2009, he led the league with 7 holding penalties.
I didn't forget about Barron, I just left him off because he was very talented, just had no passion for the game or his craft. He could really move for a big man, he had a ten cent head on top of those shoulders though. It's been a wasteland trying to replace Orlando Pace. Thank jeebus for Whitworth.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I didn't forget about Barron, I just left him off because he was very talented, just had no passion for the game or his craft. He could really move for a big man, he had a ten cent head on top of those shoulders though. It's been a wasteland trying to replace Orlando Pace. Thank jeebus for Whitworth.
Could not agree with you more, but in today's offenses your OL'ers need to be clever, smart & quick deep thinkers! Kromer does not suffer fools in his OL.Barron was talented but he was a very short bus rider.

One of the reasons that Interior OL'er Austin Blythe did so well this season after being cut by the Colts was he is a super smart player who was perfect for the type of coaching Kromer dishes out. A super sponge !

WestCoastRam

Legend
In both Barron and Robinson's case, what was so frustrating is you saw flashes of their talent in individual plays in their first years that made you go - WOW! And then... nothing.

Smith seemed a bust from day one as far as I can remember.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

Pretty much, tired of relying on upside for O-line when refined technique and unit cohesion is vital for its success

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Due to lack of college o-line coaches and time to work with them in college and in the pros...top big men are unprepared for todays NFL....damn shame too.
Could not agree with you more, but in today's offenses your OL'ers need to be clever, smart & quick deep thinkers! Kromer does not suffer fools in his OL.Barron was talented but he was a very short bus rider.

One of the reasons that Interior OL'er Austin Blythe did so well this season after being cut by the Colts was he is a super smart player who was perfect for the type of coaching Kromer dishes out. A super sponge !
Last year, bunch of guys at this time were saying how Cam Robinson was a reach in the 2nd round. Dude started every game for the number 1 rushing offense at LT...Left Tackle....started....and a bunch said, pass on him if he fell to the 2nd round....

Guys are out there that can start....and play well....and need to be developed....and I don't know Cam's wonderlic....but he doesn't seem like an astro-physicist to me....lol.....just a hard working country boy....willing to listen.

If you teach a guy wrong the first time....it's almost impossible to get him to listen to what you have to say the next time...esp, if you got a proven guy, LaCharles B. telling you, your coaches don't know shit. I'm pretty sure this is what happened to G-Rob...we fucked up with Greg....Look around at the guys we fucked up the last few years offensively....I'm STILL pissed they cut Kush.

Sounds like McVay has his pulse on the team...thats a good thing....I'd look for an OL or DL at 23......a beast too....physically talented....Big 5 conference type....known to move bodies....all this smart thing is going overboard....very few geniuses in football.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-May-Build-Depth-on-OL-in-2018-Offseason/fba8dc0a-5b87-4cbd-89df-5bba697a4b78
By:Myles Simmons Rams Insider

When looking at reasons for the Rams’ offensive success in 2017, one place to start would be the continuity up front.

Los Angeles was the only team in the NFL to have its offensive line combination start the first 15 games of the season. It would have been all 16, but head coach Sean McVay elected to rest four of five starters for the final regular-season game to ensure they’d be healthy for the first round of the playoffs.

While head trainer Reggie Scott and head strength and conditioning coach Ted Rath certainly established plans to maintain players’ health — particularly for veterans like left tackle Andrew Whitwroth and center John Sullivan — head coach Sean McVay acknowledged at the end of the season Los Angeles also had good fortune when it came to injuries in 2017. And that’s something McVay, general manager Les Snead, and their respective staffs will have to be aware of as they begin the process of putting together the 2018 Rams.

“I think one of the things that you do want to be mindful of is the fact that we were so fortunate with the injures this year,” McVay said. “So you look at it [and say,] ‘Alright let's just anticipate and let's just say you don't have that work out in your favor — where are the areas that you want to continue to establish and build that depth? Where are some of the positions?’”

One such spot could be offensive line. Whitworth is under contract for another two seasons with Los Angeles, but he did turn 36 on Dec. 12. And Sullivan — slated to be one an unrestricted free agent in March — will turn 33 on Aug. 8.
Last week, Snead called Sullivan a player “who is hard to replace. You definitely want to keep him around.”

But when it comes to bringing in younger talent to become heir apparent to both players, that may be easier said than done.

“Cincinnati probably tried that for many years, and [Whitworth] just kept playing,” Snead said. “What you do want to do is, somehow, if you can — and I think you have those conversations with those players, knowing this is where you're at in your career — if we do bring someone in, a younger pup, can you help develop the pups? I think that's where they're at.”

One option could be to start a younger player inside and then move him to the outside — though both of the Rams’ guards played well in 2017. That, however, is the approach Cincinnati took with Whitworth early in his career, as the 2006 second-round pick began his career at left guard before sliding to left tackle in 2009.

“On Whitworth, philosophically, a lot of times, you'd love to draft tackles, move them inside, and then eventually have them become tackles again. That would be ideal,” Snead said. “A lot of times, you might need them to play tackle right away. Sometimes, philosophically, whether it's right or wrong, there's a lot of belief that's a good way to go.”

Either way, it’s more likely than not the Rams will have some new faces on the offensive line by the time training camp rolls around in late July.

Hmmm, play them inside and then move them outside? Uhhh, would that mean benching Barron or Saffold? Come on! You draft his replacement, and in games where you get a comfortable lead, you rest Whitworth and get him reps! This is a win win for Whitworth and his future replacement.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hmmm, play them inside and then move them outside? Uhhh, would that mean benching Barron or Saffold? Come on! You draft his replacement, and in games where you get a comfortable lead, you rest Whitworth and get him reps! This is a win win for Whitworth and his future replacement.

If the Rams drafted a first round LT, I'd think starting him at RG ahead of Brown would be my reply, although doubtful our first pick goes down this way unless we trade down. jmo.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
If the Rams drafted a first round LT, I'd think starting him at RG ahead of Brown would be my reply, although doubtful our first pick goes down this way unless we trade down. jmo.

Just realized I typed in Barron. I meant Brown.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Both starting OG's ( Brown/Saffold) & starting RT (Havenstein) will be UFA's this time next year, thus meaning Rams stand a good chance to see all three depart for better $$$ since it appears that we will burn through most all our available future salary caps on Aaron Donald, Watkins, Tru Johnson, Lamarcus Joyner, John Sullivan, NRC & others leaving crumbs to sign a few WWC's in 2019.

No benching of Brown & Saffold will be necessary Right ? They won't be here...problem solved. We just go with Austin Blythe to start @ center, Aaron Nearly @ RG & Eldrenkamp @ LG that's a great plan & Rams are set for many years....:shocking:.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Due to lack of college o-line coaches and time to work with them in college and in the pros...top big men are unprepared for todays NFL....damn shame too.
Last year, bunch of guys at this time were saying how Cam Robinson was a reach in the 2nd round. Dude started every game for the number 1 rushing offense at LT...Left Tackle....started....and a bunch said, pass on him if he fell to the 2nd round....

Guys are out there that can start....and play well....and need to be developed....and I don't know Cam's wonderlic....but he doesn't seem like an astro-physicist to me....lol.....just a hard working country boy....willing to listen.

If you teach a guy wrong the first time....it's almost impossible to get him to listen to what you have to say the next time...esp, if you got a proven guy, LaCharles B. telling you, your coaches don't know crap. I'm pretty sure this is what happened to G-Rob...we freaked up with Greg....Look around at the guys we freaked up the last few years offensively....I'm STILL ticked they cut Kush.

Sounds like McVay has his pulse on the team...thats a good thing....I'd look for an OL or DL at 23......a beast too....physically talented....Big 5 conference type....known to move bodies....all this smart thing is going overboard....very few geniuses in football.
...and no Auburn guys, dammit! ~LACHAMP46

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
For a LT, I would rather see them go small school guy with upside in mid rounds vs big school guy that has a low ceiling. Better chance of hitting on a real long-term solution.

I think big school players at premium positions like LT, if their a real prospect, they would not slide. However a small school prospect just slides due to questions on competition etc... So give me that player that has tools and let Kromer and Whitworth groom them.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I just wanted to say, whoever they draft or sign, I hope he follows the mold of acquisitions that McSnead has gone after so far. SMART and wants to be coached. No more boneheads!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Smith seemed a bust from day one as far as I can remember.

It was reported the rams knew he was a bust after the first practice. This was reported a few years later.

Bill polion often says the most nervous day for him is the first day of practice. That's when he knows if one of the players he picked, particularly the 1st round pick, is a bust or a good player.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Depth on the line is very important for the future , BUT this team is close to becoming elite and they need to get better for next year and not the future .

Draft starters that can play right away and help fill voids on defense , depth should be looked at but not until the mid rounds