Rams may be having problems with their tenants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome your WASCO CHARGERS!!”

There is always Tijuana also.
That would make us an International league. Something that the NFL wants, plus Tiajuana Chargers has a nice ring to it. Good idea Fearsome!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Carson Chargers have a nice ring to it considering that's the only one they'll see

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Kroenke is one of the most hated sports franchise owners on the planet.

Way more people hate Kroenke than Spanos.

He's mainly hated by St. Louis fans and Arsenal supporters. His net worth is great for financing an NFL team thanks to the salary cap but he can't compete for wages in European football compared to other giants.

I predict that Steve Ballmer will buy the Chargers once Spanos outstays his welcome.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's mainly hated by St. Louis fans and Arsenal supporters. His net worth is great for financing an NFL team thanks to the salary cap but he can't compete for wages in European football compared to other giants.

I predict that Steve Ballmer will buy the Chargers once Spanos outstays his welcome.

He's not beloved by fans in Denver much either.

I'm frankly shocked at how much LA fans like him because he was instrumental in the Rams leaving LA in the first place.

Similar to the Browns moving. People liked Al Lerner even though he brokered the deal to take the team to Baltimore.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Although usually I enjoy listening to Fred Roggin (I listened to him every day during the height of the Carson vs Inglewood relocation battle), in this case he was being intentionally misleading in order to get publicity. No bueno.

According to Roggin, when Rams agreed to relocate to Inglewood and allow Chargers as tenants, the Chargers needed to pay nothing for stadium costs EXCEPT for whatever money they raised from PSL’s. Initially that was projected to be about $400M, but now it looks more like it will only be around $150M. Roggin claims there was ‘nothing in writing’ about what dollar figure the Chargers have to contribute. It’s simply ‘whatever they make from PSL’s.”

So, supposedly Kroenke is irritated that he will get 250M less than what was expected from Charger PSLs.

The part that doesn’t add up:

In his ‘teaser’ over the weekend, Roggin claimed there was ‘friction’ between Spanos and Kroenke because ‘the Chargers may not be pulling their share.’ Today, however, Roggin is saying, ‘Spanos did nothing wrong, he’s merely following the rules of the agreement, it was Kroenke who signed the initial deal, he knew that the estimate of Charger PSL money was only an estimate.’

So why would Roggin report there is ‘friction’ between Kroenke and Spanos when in reality it was Kroenke who signed the deal knowing full well that he had no control over how much money the Chargers could raise from PSLs?

Roggin was probably just using the ‘friction between owners’ angle as a way to get publicity. Overall, this seems like a nothing-burger. Kroenke will get less many from the Chargers than anticipated, but (based on what’s been reported so far), Spanos has completely fulfilled his obligations to Kroenke, so there is nothing to ‘complain’ about.

Had Spanos raised 20M from PSL’s, Kroenke would get that 20M. Had Spanos raised 800M, Kroenke would get 800M. According to Roggin, those were the terms of the deal mandated by the NFL in order to allow Kroenke to move to Inglewood.

Despite the rumors, it does not sound like Spanos is failing to pay anything he’s supposed to. Also sounds like Kroenke has no ‘leverage’ over Spanos. Personally, I’d be happy to see the Chargers move elsewhere, but based on Roggin’s reporting today, it doesn’t look like that would happen anytime soon. Roggin teased that Spanos was being a deadbeat and that was pissing off Kroenke... but today Roggin reversed himself and says that Spanos is living up to the agreement, and Kroenke has only himself to blame for agreeing to the relocation terms.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Lol at this thread, and the bizarre ways we as a society tend to consume news these days.

Roggin TEASES a story over the weekend, and we get 5 PAGES of opinion and conjecture. But then when the ACTUAL story hits on Monday we get... crickets.

Just weird how “you’ll get the story soon!” gets tons of attention and then when the “actual” story arrives it’s met with a yawn and a shrug.

(Granted— Roggin hyped up the tease and then came out with a nothing-burger...)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Although usually I enjoy listening to Fred Roggin (I listened to him every day during the height of the Carson vs Inglewood relocation battle), in this case he was being intentionally misleading in order to get publicity. No bueno.

According to Roggin, when Rams agreed to relocate to Inglewood and allow Chargers as tenants, the Chargers needed to pay nothing for stadium costs EXCEPT for whatever money they raised from PSL’s. Initially that was projected to be about $400M, but now it looks more like it will only be around $150M. Roggin claims there was ‘nothing in writing’ about what dollar figure the Chargers have to contribute. It’s simply ‘whatever they make from PSL’s.”

So, supposedly Kroenke is irritated that he will get 250M less than what was expected from Charger PSLs.

The part that doesn’t add up:

In his ‘teaser’ over the weekend, Roggin claimed there was ‘friction’ between Spanos and Kroenke because ‘the Chargers may not be pulling their share.’ Today, however, Roggin is saying, ‘Spanos did nothing wrong, he’s merely following the rules of the agreement, it was Kroenke who signed the initial deal, he knew that the estimate of Charger PSL money was only an estimate.’

So why would Roggin report there is ‘friction’ between Kroenke and Spanos when in reality it was Kroenke who signed the deal knowing full well that he had no control over how much money the Chargers could raise from PSLs?

Roggin was probably just using the ‘friction between owners’ angle as a way to get publicity. Overall, this seems like a nothing-burger. Kroenke will get less many from the Chargers than anticipated, but (based on what’s been reported so far), Spanos has completely fulfilled his obligations to Kroenke, so there is nothing to ‘complain’ about.

Had Spanos raised 20M from PSL’s, Kroenke would get that 20M. Had Spanos raised 800M, Kroenke would get 800M. According to Roggin, those were the terms of the deal mandated by the NFL in order to allow Kroenke to move to Inglewood.

Despite the rumors, it does not sound like Spanos is failing to pay anything he’s supposed to. Also sounds like Kroenke has no ‘leverage’ over Spanos. Personally, I’d be happy to see the Chargers move elsewhere, but based on Roggin’s reporting today, it doesn’t look like that would happen anytime soon. Roggin teased that Spanos was being a deadbeat and that was pissing off Kroenke... but today Roggin reversed himself and says that Spanos is living up to the agreement, and Kroenke has only himself to blame for agreeing to the relocation terms.
What he's saying doesn't add up in too many ways. My guess is that Roggin is just being a wind bag. I highly doubt he is privy to the entire deal between the NFL, SK, and Spanos. The idea that the $s involved in what Spanos is supposed to pay for construction are not in writing seems almost impossible. Could be $150 million, could be $400 million.... could be nothing? Yeah... I'm not buying it. He's a radio jock.

If he started all this in order to get ears, it just makes him more of a jackass. If SK made a deal that was not detailed in writing, he should not be upset that the deal wasn't being followed. I'm pretty sure SK realizes that as he has been involved in... oh.... I dunno... one or two business deals in his life?

If there is a rift, the reality is that Roggin heard a rumor of such and took that info and extrapolated but has no idea what he is actually talking about. The video of his rant demonstrates a whole crap load of words and bluster with pretty much zero details.

Unfortunately, he teased with a connect the dots narrative that would be believeable in light of the lowered sales of PSLs by Spanos, the lack of butts in seats, and what little is really known of the deal between Spanos and SK.

I personally have never liked listening to Roggin. I don't imagine I will listen to him much in the future.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What he's saying doesn't add up in too many ways. My guess is that Roggin is just being a wind bag. I highly doubt he is privy to the entire deal between the NFL, SK, and Spanos. The idea that the $s involved in what Spanos is supposed to pay for construction are not in writing seems almost impossible. Could be $150 million, could be $400 million.... could be nothing? Yeah... I'm not buying it. He's a radio jock.

If he started all this in order to get ears, it just makes him more of a jackass. If SK made a deal that was not detailed in writing, he should not be upset that the deal wasn't being followed. I'm pretty sure SK realizes that as he has been involved in... oh.... I dunno... one or two business deals in his life?

If there is a rift, the reality is that Roggin heard a rumor of such and took that info and extrapolated but has no idea what he is actually talking about. The video of his rant demonstrates a whole crap load of words and bluster with pretty much zero details.

Unfortunately, he teased with a connect the dots narrative that would be believeable in light of the lowered sales of PSLs by Spanos, the lack of butts in seats, and what little is really known of the deal between Spanos and SK.

I personally have never liked listening to Roggin. I don't imagine I will listen to him much in the future.

Exactly. The idea that a multi-billionaire real estate developer - who just made a fortune by taking advantage of St Louis not having followed all the details of the lease - okaying a deal that had a huge number of key details not explicitly in the contract - is absurd. It would be totally out of character for Stan. Much more in character would be him putting in details to sting the Chargers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Spanos was to turn over proceed of pre opening PSL sales correct?

If that's the case, and that's my understanding then the situation may be upsetting, but t isn't a contractual violation.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Eh, seems that most of what Roggin says is what I remember. Sure there are additional facts, but whatevs. Really no story and if there's any "friction" it's probably not a whole lot - certainly not enough for a real story. Maybe like how someone slow to go at a green light causes "friction" with other drivers. There was no fixed dollar amount for the Charger/Spanos PSL contribution:

View: https://twitter.com/nathanfenno/status/824726554689228800

View: https://twitter.com/nathanfenno/status/824727026988769280