Rams' Maurice Alexander impressing in camp/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Maurice Alexander impressing in camp
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story...p?hootPostID=92a7bc9f2331330451c756647b043b0d

ST. LOUIS — Maurice Alexander came to Rams training camp a year ago as a fourth-round pick with a compelling story, but failed to make much of an impact as a rookie. Now, the safety impressing the coaching staff with his progress going into his second season.

For Alexander, being healthy has made a world of difference between his rookie season and his second training camp. He feels good now, maybe better than he’s felt since participating in his first organized team activities a year ago.

“It’s a big difference when you’re injured and when you’re not injured,” Alexander said. “We did a good job rehabbing in the offseason. I’ve been here the whole time. I’m from here, so I just stayed here and (worked hard). I feel good. I haven’t been 100 (percent) yet. I’m about 95 percent. I’ve been feeling good.”

The 24-year-old said his injury issues started during OTAs last year.

He would end up having surgeries to fix the meniscus in both of his knees before he would really feel better.

“It started with the left one, OTAs,” Alexander said. “Then I got to training camp, preseason, and I got my right one hit. Docs told me I was going to need surgery one of these days. They could tell there was loose cartilage in there.”

The 6-foot-1 safety, who said he now weighs 212 pounds after weighing in at the 2014 Combine at 220 pounds, said his focus was affected by the injuries throughout his rookie campaign.

“Last year I was more focused on my injuries,” Alexander said. “It’s hard to be injured and then try to think about plays and this and that. It was tough. I was trying my hardest to think last year but my mind would go right back to my leg, if I make this cut I’m going to hurt something, if I make this cut I’m going to hurt something. So this year I’m just focused directly on ball.”

The Eureka (Mo.) High School product’s increased focus has led to him impressing the coaching staff during OTAs and now in training camp. It’s still early in camp, but Alexander has been getting snaps working with the starting defense in place of Rodney McLeod, T.J. McDonald and Mark Barron at times.

No, that doesn’t mean the second-year player is going to steal the spot of one of those veteran safeties. But it does show how the coaching staff regards the youngster at this point.

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams lauded Alexander during OTAs.

“If you want to talk about a guy that’s drastically different than last year, it’s Maurice,’’ Williams said. “He could hardly speak what we’re doing last year. He’d only played one season in college as a DB and now he’s in the NFL as a DB. Holy Cow, he was lost, but we knew he was talented. He’s had a great spring because he’s gotten more reps — next man up — because T.J. and Mark haven’t had as many.”

Rams coach Jeff Fisher called Alexander a “tremendous surprise” early in training camp when he was asked about returning all 11 starters from a year ago.

“We got the 11 (returning starters), but we also got some great competition at the backup spots, so we’ve got some depth,” Fisher said. “So, when you look at Maurice, for example, who’s just a tremendous surprise. You’re OK with him playing safety if you have a problem. That gives us a comfort level.”

Fisher was asked a few days later what, exactly, has made the youngster so impressive in his second training camp.

“You know he is playing really fast right now and that implies that he knows what to do,” the veteran coach said. “I mean he’s sure, he’s decisive. He makes good decisions. He is reacting. He’s very athletic and he’s playing fast. He’s going to make a lot of plays for us.”

Alexander was considered a bit of a project a year ago when the Rams selected him in the fourth round (No. 110 overall) out of Utah State.

He was a defensive lineman and linebacker in high school and played linebacker in college — he spent two years at Arizona Western College before Utah State — before later switching to safety.

He also got into trouble at Utah State. He was kicked off the team and ended up in jail after a fight with a friend and teammate. It was during Alexander’s time away from his college team, back in 2012, that he worked as a janitor at the Edward Jones Dome and cleaned up after Rams games.

It was then that Alexander could only dream of one day playing for the Rams … and it was only a dream at that point.

That’s also why he said he can’t be too disappointed by his rookie season, in which he appeared in just nine games and recorded seven special teams tackles.

“I dealt with way worse adversity than that,” Alexander said. “I always stay positive in everything I do. It’s hard to bring me down. I’m always positive.”

And now he’s making a positive impression on the coaching staff after working hard to bounce back from the injuries and learn the playbook.

“The coaching staff makes it very easy for me,” he said. “We’ve got great coaches. We’ve got Dennard (Wilson). We’ve got Brandon (Fisher). We’ve got Gregg (Williams), Chuck (Cecil), all those guys. They just make it easy. Once you’ve got coaches like that, they make it more simple.”

So far in training camp, it’s been like night and day from a year ago.

“It comes and goes,” Alexander said. “It’s very fast. I’m taking advantage of every moment.”

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
We've got some really interesting depth pieces thanks to last year's draft and the acquisition of Barron.

You can run a base 4-3 with Jenkins, Johnson, Gaines (when healthy), McLeod, McDonald, Barron or Alexander.

You can run the base nickel with Gaines (when healthy), Johnson or Joyner.

You can run a "big nickel" with Barron or Alexander.

The one spot I wish we had a little bit more at would be free safety.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Gotta love this kids story....I'm kinda pulling for him like I was Brian Quick...I can see the natural ability oozing out of him....Seems as if he could be another late round gem....
I'm still hoping they put Mo, TJ, and Barron all in the game together....And start with TJ & Barron in the base 4-3 looks....interchangeable.....c'mon PFaulk, say it with me....(y):);):D:cool::p:snicker::shades:

Tortoise

UDFA
I like the kid and really hope he can help the team this year. I can tell you that GW is all over his ass in practice!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We've got some really interesting depth pieces thanks to last year's draft and the acquisition of Barron.

You can run a base 4-3 with Jenkins, Johnson, Gaines (when healthy), McLeod, McDonald, Barron or Alexander.

You can run the base nickel with Gaines (when healthy), Johnson or Joyner.

You can run a "big nickel" with Barron or Alexander.

From camp reports it sounds like Christian Bryant is looking very good at FS

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If SS Mo Alexander, a highly questioned Snead 2014 4th rd. pick continues to improve along with all the early positive grades printed everywhere since TC began given to the 2014 7th rd.pk SS/FS Christian Bryant it will surely put some serious heat on the costly often injured SS Mark Barron spot.

The former top 10 first round pick by Tampa Bay Mark Barron had his issues as of late due to a bawky knee issue. Barron underwent arthroscopic knee surgery back in January of 2014 & he missed much of the Bucs TC & pre season, and they reported way into the 2014 season Barron's Knee was not 100 percent. That past procedure was done to repair knee cartilage. It was proclaimed that it was a simple routine scope!:huh:

Before the 2014 saga, Mark Barron went through a real bad 2013 season dealing with nagging continued hamstring injury. Bottom line here with Mark Barron was a big liability in coverage in 2012/ 2013/ 2014 & late last year with the Rams?? well you can make the call on his back side coverage.

I have posted many times that they need to keep Barron up very close to the LOS as possible in order to get those positive big plays form Barron which do happen often but he must remain up close. If he is assigned to coverage further away from the LOS the big plays will NOT be Positive. If he was thicker 6-2 213 pounds now he would make a great WSLB'er.

From all that I can recall is Mo Alexander took over the No#1 spot during the entire OTA's due to the absence of McDonald/ Barron....the report card on MO at the end was very good & highly promising:heh:!

On the other hand Mark Barron, still coming back from another knee injury that happened in the early spring of 2015. Currently Barron is still working on the side & Fisher has said he will be ready very soon. McDonald is back!:snicker:

Finally this new kid C. Bryant popping all over in OTA's & early TC...I found some good articles on Bryant but the attached below is a good one.
http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...-draft-prospects-ohio-state-safety-c-b-bryant
Bryant who has played the Nickle & both safety positions in NCAA if he remains healthy will fill an excellent role as a DB reserve this yr & next.

I wonder if the costly Mark Barron could end up being traded very late in pre season for a future draft pick:whistle:.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah, it's starting to look like what was once an area with no depth is now a strength for this team.

With Mo's ascendancy, there's certainly no worry or need about signing Barron.

Bryant could make keeping McLeod less of a priority though everything I'm reading is that the Rams would like to sign McLeod to a long term deal.