Rams' Mason Should Not Worry

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tim Godfrey
http://profootballspot.com/_/nfl/nfc-west/st-louis-rams/rams-mason-should-not-worry-r10400

85578a37bcc5f9f238161b8dc41b3197.jpg

No one expected the Todd Gurley pick, especially Tre Mason.

Coming off a decent rookie year, considering getting the starting gig after the first few weeks of the season, Mason and others expected him to be the new No. 1.

Then the Ram’s first round pick came.

“At the time, with a pick like that, it’s a replacement,” Mason told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Normally when a team picks a position in the first round, the current holder is in trouble of losing it to the new kid on the block. But in the case of Mason, this may be a different story.

Will Mason be replaced? No, but his touches will probably be scaled back gradually from his usual lone back workload to a shared role. He will get a lot of carries early in the season as Rams wait for Gurley to get his groove (and health) back and find a good rhythm for a two-back system.

Mason knows it’s a competition and the better back will be getting slightly more touches of the pair. Starting out, Mason will be getting the lion’s share of the carries because he knows the offense better and, pending injuries, he is the healthiest of the two.

Mason should not be worried and frankly, he does not seem like it. If he was, he would have requested a trade to a team. Except instead of his former teammate Zac Stacy, he would request a trade to a team without a crowded backfield.

You should always take every word you hear from an NFL coach with a grain of salt. Yet when Rams head coach Jeff Fisher says the Gurley pick was to add to, not replace, the group, it’s hard not to believe him.

Mason is a talented back who could be a starter on another team. He has strength, speed and can catch a pass or two (16 catches, 148 yards). He can also get his team big chunks of yards. In 2014, Mason led the team in yards-per-carry (4.3). After gaining 765 yards in 12 games (nine as a starter), and establishing himself reliable, why would they go running back in the first round?

Because Fisher cannot pass up an incredible talent, no matter what position.

Remember when Jadaveon Clowney was belle of the ball in the 2014 draft? Fisher entertained the idea that, if available, the Rams would take him even though they were set at defensive end.

“You can never have too many pass rushers,” Fisher would say to the media.

This is the same boat, except this time it actually happened. Fisher saw a tremendous talent, disregarded the fact that he was fine at that position and took the best player at that position off the board. Was Fisher wrong to do so?

Absolutely not.

Could he have gone with another pick? Sure, but which one? Both first round quarterbacks are off the board, La’el Collins was in the middle of a homicide investigation (which later turned out that he was innocent of any involvement, but still, at the time you cannot risk that) and Amari Cooper was in Oakland. The Rams could have gone lineman, but if it’s lineman versus Gurley, you would be an idiot not to go Gurley.

Plus, the running back group needed some rejuvenation. Zac Stacy had a terrible 2014 after having such a great rookie season the year before. He was not looking like the complement Mason needed in 2015 nor was Stacy looking like a capable replacement for Mason should he go down in the future.

Gurley, once he returns to full health and form, alongside Mason will be a tough train to stop in 2015.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Agreed Mason is an excellent talent and the Rams are lucky to have him. He showed the ability to pick up the blitz, tough running inside and break away ability. Gurley will be a great piece of the puzzle if he can come close to his potential but there is nothing wrong with having 2guys who can carry the load at RB.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Agreed Mason is an excellent talent and the Rams are lucky to have him. He showed the ability to pick up the blitz, tough running inside and break away ability. Gurley will be a great piece of the puzzle if he can come close to his potential but there is nothing wrong with having 2guys who can carry the load at RB.

I agree.. in my opinion Gurley will get the vast majority of the work once and if he is healthy...Given the injury situation though, Mason should have plenty of opportunities to get carries...I just don't think it will be two-headed animal for the most part...

jap

Legend
I agree.. in my opinion Gurley will get the vast majority of the work once and if he is healthy...Given the injury situation though, Mason should have plenty of opportunities to get carries...I just don't think it will be two-headed animal for the most part...

Sure, its a two-headed animal. It's just that one of the heads (Gurley) is so much bigger than the other. :ROFLMAO:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still believe Mason was good enough... would rather have had an Olineman with his pick... but, we shall see how it all pans out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't think Fisher uses 2 backs for long once one proves to be more dominant....Chris Jonson & the dude from SC worked for a year...then Chris Johnson took off...So after 2015, I'd doubt to see Mason but maybe just as a breather...

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I don't think Fisher uses 2 backs for long once one proves to be more dominant....Chris Jonson & the dude from SC worked for a year...then Chris Johnson took off...So after 2015, I'd doubt to see Mason but maybe just as a breather...

Concur w/ ya... Next season it will be 300 carries for Gurley IMHO

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Let's ask Zac Stacy about Fisher's liking for two headed rushing attacks.

The man just spent the entire last two months saying the words "bell cow" 400 times a day.