Rams making the right adjustments at halftime, especially on defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams making the right adjustments at halftime, especially on defense

0910_spo_ldn-l-rams-colts-kb6_24482898.jpg

Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips credits his assistants for the success the team has had with halftime adjustments this season. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: December 7, 2017 at 5:36 pm | UPDATED: December 7, 2017 at 6:12 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — Twelve minutes. For those in the seats, it’s barely enough to grab a hot dog and drink. For the Rams’ Wade Phillips, apparently it’s enough to change the complexion of a game.

Phillips, the Rams’ veteran defensive coordinator, makes the most of the brief halftime break. The Rams’ ability to tighten up in the third quarter is a major reason why they’re atop the NFC West, and why they have a fighting chance to stifle Philadelphia’s high-powered offense on Sunday at the Coliseum.

The Rams haven’t allowed a point in the third quarter in six consecutive games, and they’ve allowed only one third-quarter touchdown this season (in a September victory over San Francisco). The Rams have outscored opponents in the third quarter by an astounding margin of 92-13.

“I think our guys are just ready to play when they come out,” Phillips said after Thursday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “You’d like to say, ‘Yeah, it’s coaching,’ but it would be the other coaches, not me.”

What does a typical halftime look like for the Rams’ defensive coaches? Phillips said they meet as a group at the start of the break. Linebackers coach Joe Barry proposes run-defense adjustments for the second half, while defensive backs coaches Aubrey Pleasant and Ejiro Evero talk about pass defense.

Then the coaches take the second-half strategy to players, just a couple minutes before kickoff.

“We discuss it all,” Phillips said. “We say, ‘Hey, this is what we’ve got to get done,’ then they go in there and present it to the team. The adjustments, we do it all together, and those (assistant coaches) communicate well with their own (position) people.”

Much of the Rams’ second-half defensive improvement has come on the ground. Opponents have run for an average of 83.7 yards in the first half, but only 40.0 yards in the second half.

Part of that involves game situations. The Rams have led at halftime in eight of their 12 games, so naturally, teams will throw more in the second half when playing from behind. But, overall, the Rams have allowed an average of only 142.7 yards in the second half, compared to 191.3 in the first half.

Plus, the improvement against the run isn’t all based on the score. Last Sunday, the Rams held only a six-point halftime lead and lost middle linebacker Alec Ogletree to injury. The Cardinals, who ran for 100 yards in the first half, totaled only 18 rushing yards in the second half and got only a field goal.

The Rams’ reputation as a second-half defensive team started two months ago at Dallas, when the Rams trailed 24-14 at halftime and looked helpless against the Cowboys’ offense, particularly a running game that gained 133 yards in the first half behind Ezekiel Elliott and Alfred Morris.

On their first four drives of the second half, the Cowboys gained only 41 yards on 13 plays, punted three times and threw an interception. Dallas totaled only 66 rushing yards in the second half and the Rams pulled away from an early-season-defining 35-30 road victory.

That was the start of a nine-game stretch in which the Rams haven’t allowed a third-quarter touchdown. They shut out Dallas, Arizona (twice), the New York Giants, Houston, Minnesota and New Orleans, and allowed only a field goal to Seattle and Jacksonville.

It’s a remarkable run that certainly will get tested Sunday by an Eagles team that is tied with the Rams for the most points in the NFL this season.

The challenge for the Rams might be to stay in the game early. The Eagles have outscored opponents by a margin of 78-28 in the first quarter this season and, three times, Philadelphia has taken a lead of at least 17 points into halftime.

“It’s going to be a dog fight,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “We’re going to be ready for it.”

All clear

The Rams were able to hold a full practice Thursday. Concerns over air quality because of fires in the region led the Rams to cancel their Wednesday practice and hold only an indoor walk-thru session.

Coach Sean McVay expressed his support and sympathy for Southern California residents who have been impacted by the fires this week, and praised his players for their ability to adjust.

“They’ve handled it really well,” McVay said. “These are serious things that are going on right now. I’ve been very impressed with the maturity they’ve demonstrated the last couple days.”

Injury report

Middle linebacker Alec Ogletree, who hyperextended his left elbow last Sunday, did not practice Thursday, and his availability for Sunday’s game seems to be in question. The loss of Ogletree, a team captain and the Rams’ defensive signal-caller, would be a big one, particularly against the Eagles.

“Alec is making good progress,” McVay said. “I think (Friday) will serve as a great measuring stick, as far as being able to get some pressure on that (elbow).”

Safety Lamarcus Joyner (shoulder) also missed practice but is expected to play Sunday, McVay said. Receiver Robert Woods (shoulder) and linebacker Connor Barwin (arm) remain out of a practice and are not expected to play against the Eagles.

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Major concern if Ogletree cannot go, Hager filled in admirably against the Cardinals, however, the Eagles are a totally different kettle of fish. The Eagles are notorious for being able to pound the rock and that has been the Rams weakness on defense, I would be concerned with Hager manning the middle although I do have confidence in Bryce to make the proper calls defensively, he's a very smart player.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That's our money quarter.
Money, it's a gas.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.
New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think I'll buy me a football team.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Man, Don't give me that do goody good bullcrap.

Loved that song, until I found out it meant a European Football, which of course is Soccer and then I did not like it as much, but still one hell of an album.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The challenge for the Rams might be to stay in the game early. The Eagles have outscored opponents by a margin of 78-28 in the first quarter this season and, three times, Philadelphia has taken a lead of at least 17 points into halftime.
Personally, I'm going to keep an eye-out for this ^ in the 1st half to see how we are stacking up! If/ when the Rams are ahead by 17 at the Half, I'll start counting my Winning's!!(y);):yess:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Receiver Robert Woods (shoulder) and linebacker Connor Barwin (arm) remain out of a practice and are not expected to play against the Eagles.
This Hurts, but it's not insurmountable! We will be fine!!

Montanaramfan

Rookie
Personally, I'm going to keep an eye-out for this ^ in the 1st half to see how we are stacking up! If/ when the Rams are ahead by 17 at the Half, I'll start counting my Winning's!!(y);):yess:

I just checked and the Rams have outscored their opponents 90-44 in the first quarter. I think we'll have a chance of keeping up.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Adjustments have changed our season.

Wish Son of Bum hadn't given out the names & keys to our strategy.....somebody my try and steal out positional coaches....keep that shit in house.