Rams make it official on promotions of Cignetti, Boras/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams make if official on promotions of Cignetti, Boras
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d9f40165-2b13-5c9d-ba67-13b3224dcad6.html

The Rams have finally made it official: Frank Cignetti has been promoted to offensive coordinator and Rob Boras has been promoted to assistant head coach/offense.

It has been obvious since late January that coach Jeff Fisher was leaning strongly towards an in-house hire to replace the departed Brian Schottenheimer as OC. And in a close call between Cignetti and Boras, it became known last week that Cignetti would get the nod as the team's new offensive coordinator.

As part of a press release Thursday afternoon, the Rams announced that Cignetti would be the team's play caller and that Boras would continue his past duties as tight ends coach. Part of Boras' duties as assistant head coach will include leading the run game.

A press conference is being scheduled for Friday with Cignetti and Boras at Rams Park.

It also looks like the Rams will fill Cignetti's past job as quarterbacks coach with a new hire. Longtime pro quarterback Jeff Garcia interviewed for the job Thursday.

"Frank has been a key asset to our staff over the last three years and I'm confident that he'll do a great job leading our offense in this new role," Fisher said in a statement. "He's done a great job in some difficult circumstances and he brings a great body of work as a play caller at some significant college programs. Our players know and respect Frank, and I believe we'll benefit from the continuity he'll provide."

In the college ranks, Cignetti has served as offensive coordinator at six stops: Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Cal-Berkeley, North Carolina, Fresno State, and Indiana (Pa.).

As for Boras, in addition to his role with the running game, he will help oversee all aspects of the offense.

"Rob is a tremendous teacher and he's done a great job with our tight ends," Fisher said. "His expanded role is sure to make us better as an offense."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams officially promote Frank Cignetti, Rob Boras
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16183/rams-officially-promote-cignetti-boras

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In a move that has been anticipated for a week, the St. Louis Rams officially announced their new offensive coordinator and assistant head coach/offense on Thursday.

As expected, quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti has been promoted to offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Rob Boras has been bumped up to assistant head coach/offense.

“Frank has been a key asset to our staff over the last three years and I’m confident that he’ll do a great job leading our offense in this new role,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said in a statement. “He’s done a great job in some difficult circumstances and he brings a great body of work as a playcaller at some significant college programs. Our players know and respect Frank, and I believe we’ll benefit from the continuity he’ll provide.”

Cignetti had been the Rams' quarterbacks coach for each of the past three seasons and has been an offensive coordinator at five previous major collegiate stops (Rutgers, Pittsburgh, North Carolina, California and Fresno State). The Rams are likely going to find a replacement for Cignetti as quarterbacks coach and were scheduled to interview former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia on Thursday afternoon.

Boras has also been in St. Louis for the past three seasons, coaching tight ends. Despite his new duties, Boras will continue in his role coaching the tight ends but has added offensive responsibility on a larger scale. According to the Rams' release, Boras will "help oversee all aspects of the offense with a particular emphasis on leading the run game."

In other words, while Cignetti is the offensive coordinator, there will be a certain level of shared responsibility between he and Boras when it comes to putting the offense together.

“Rob is a tremendous teacher and he’s done a great job with our tight ends,” Fisher said. “His expanded role is sure to make us better as an offense.”

RamBill

Legend
The Rams announced the promotion of Frank Cignetti to offensive coordinator. Watch Casey Phillips and Myles Simmons break down the new play caller.

Watch Rams Report

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
My goodness those 2 are hard to listen to. Yikes. Especially that squeaky dude. Redhead is cute though.....

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
My goodness those 2 are hard to listen to. Yikes. Especially that squeaky dude. Redhead is cute though.....
"...that squeaky dude...":ROFLMAO:
Cannot stop laughing for some reason.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hope one of these guys is up in the booth.

I have no basis for suggesting this, except being up high, away from the action of a sideline, seems like a good way to see a bigger picture and concentrate on what the defense is doing and how to beat it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I hope one of these guys is up in the booth.

Cignetti worked in the booth in college as OC so I expect him to be in the booth for the Rams with Boras or hopefully QB Coach Jeff Garcia communicating the plays from the sidelines.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Is this an odd organizational structure? Is it going to result in sword fighting?

RamBill

Legend
Rams Promote Two Offensive Assistants

By Myles Simmons Rams Insider @MylesASimmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Promote-Two-Offensive-Assistants/892361b3-7077-4a64-bf1e-799e07c18e66

The Rams’ search for an offensive coordinator has come to an end, as the franchise has promoted two of its offensive assistants. Quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti will take over as the offensive coordinator, and tight ends coach Rob Boras will serve as assistant head coach/offense.

In their new roles, Cignetti will call the plays and lead the coaches through game planning and installments. While continuing to coach the tight ends, Boras will assist in overseeing the entire offense with an emphasis on the run game.

Coming off his third season leading St. Louis’ QBs, Cignetti has a coaching resumé that spans two decades of work in both the college and NFL ranks. In 2014, he helped coach Austin Davis to consecutive 300-yard, three-touchdown performances -- a first for the franchise since Kurt Warner accomplished the feat in 2001. Back in his first year with the Rams, 2012, quarterback Sam Bradford set new career highs in yards passing (3,702), touchdown passes (21), and passer rating (82.5).

“Frank has been a key asset to our staff over the last three years and I’m confident that he’ll do a great job leading our offense in this new role,” head coach Jeff Fisher said in a statement. “He’s done a great job in some difficult circumstances and he brings a great body of work as a play caller at some significant college programs. Our players know and respect Frank, and I believe we’ll benefit from the continuity he’ll provide.”

Prior to his arrival in St. Louis, Cignetti spent time as the offensive coordinator at Rutgers, Pitt, and Cal. He also spent a year as the 49ers quarterbacks coach in 2007. Before that, he was the offensive coordinator at North Carolina and Fresno State.

Cignetti got his start in the NFL as a quality control assistant with the Chiefs in 1999, and served as the Saints’ quarterbacks coach from 2000-01. His father, Frank Cignetti Sr., was a longtime head coach for Indiana University of Pennsylvania -- a D-II school -- where he led the team to 13 postseason appearances. The junior Cignetti was on his father’s staff from 1990-98.

Boras also arrived with Fisher in 2012, coaching up key contributors like Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, and Cory Harkey at the tight end position. Last season, Cook led the Rams with 52 receptions, and Kendricks had a team-high five receiving touchdowns.

In all, the 44-year-old Boras has spent 11 years in the NFL. Having served as an offensive assistant for DePauw, Texas, and UNLV, as well as a one-year stint as Benedictine University’s head coach, Boras got his NFL start as the tight ends coach under Lovie Smith with the Bears in 2004. During his six seasons in Chicago, Boras helped the Bears earn a trip to Super Bowl XLI. In 2009, the Bears’ tight ends led the NFL in receiving touchdowns (13), and in 2008 Greg Olsen and Desmond clark had 95 receptions -- the highest total for a tight end duo in franchise history.

Following his stint with the Bears, Boras spent two years as the Jaguars’ tight ends coach, leading Marcedes Lewis to his first Pro Bowl selection in 2010. That year, Lewis had 58 receptions for 700 yards and 10 receiving touchdowns -- tying a franchise record.

“Rob is a tremendous teacher and he’s done a great job with our tight ends,” Fisher said. “His expanded role is sure to make us better as an offense.”

By keeping the promotions in house, both Cignetti and Boras have an advantage of not only knowing the Rams’ personnel, but the teams and players within the division as well.

RamBill

Legend

Cignetti officially Rams offensive coordinator

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_975b9ab2-6559-57c4-8c06-327e23f2aeae.html

The Rams have finally made it official: Frank Cignetti has been promoted to offensive coordinator and Rob Boras has been promoted to assistant head coach/offense.

It has been obvious since late January that coach Jeff Fisher was leaning strongly toward an in-house hire to replace the departed Brian Schottenheimer as OC. And in a close call between Cignetti and Boras, news of a decision began circulating last week that Cignetti would get the nod as the team’s new offensive coordinator.

As part of a news release Thursday afternoon, the Rams announced that Cignetti would be the team’s play caller and that Boras would continue his past duties as tight ends coach. Part of Boras’ duties as assistant head coach will include leading the run game.

A news conference is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Friday with Cignetti at Rams Park.

It also looks like the Rams will fill Cignetti’s past job as quarterbacks coach with a new hire. Longtime pro quarterback Jeff Garcia interviewed for the job Thursday.

“Frank has been a key asset to our staff over the last three years and I’m confident that he’ll do a great job leading our offense in this new role,” Fisher said in a statement. “He’s done a great job in some difficult circumstances and he brings a great body of work as a play caller at some significant college programs. Our players know and respect Frank, and I believe we’ll benefit from the continuity he’ll provide.”

In the college ranks, Cignetti has served as offensive coordinator at six stops: Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Cal-Berkeley, North Carolina, Fresno State, and Indiana (Pa.).

As for Boras, in addition to his role with the running game, he will help oversee all aspects of the offense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great interview. Identity is a cliche but that's exactly what this offense needs...and a QB.

I concur great interview and he ever so eloquently sidestepped the Quarterback position too. Again if they add Jeff Garcia I believe the offensive staff has improved. Schottenheimer is no longer under the microscope and Boras will be more involved in the running game. Improve the offensive line and pray for health of number 8 and maybe just maybe the Rams might be relevant again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love how these fluff articles like to bring up tidbits like "Austin Davis had back to back 300 yard, 3TD games" and give Cignetti credit for that but then ignore the turd burgers that Hill/Davis threw out there during "the rest" of the season.
Cignetti got the job because they couldnt get a qualified guy to come in. It is what it is. But trying to pump this guy up as if he was a top choice is the same as peeing on my leg and trying to convince me that its raining...

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Didn't realize that Boras was getting a bump to Assistant HC/Run Game coordinator. I like that move a lot.

jap

Legend
Didn't realize that Boras was getting a bump to Assistant HC/Run Game coordinator. I like that move a lot.

Ya gotta give an ambitious young coordinator prospect a bone or two, or he may get angry and take his experience and soft skills elsewhere. :sneaky::LOL:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So what does that mean for McGinnis? I thought he was assistant HC.