Rams Mailbag/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: On coordinators, draft needs and more
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-mailbag-on-coordinators-draft-needs-and-more

We introduced the St. Louis Rams Twitter mailbag last Sunday and in it, I promised to do it on Sundays. Well, we're going to make one tweak to that moving forward. We're going to shoot for Saturdays henceforth. Beginning today.

With that out of the way, let's get down to business.

Brenden Finnerty @BengySTL
what are the Rams biggest draft needs other than O-line?

@nwagoner: I would say quarterback, which is a bigger need than offensive line in my opinion but one in which solutions will be far more difficult to find. Aside from multiple offensive linemen and a quarterback, you could make the case for depth at linebacker and another cornerback. I know the Rams have five corners they like right now (and that doesn't even include Brandon McGee, who was injured last year) but Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are free agents after the 2015 season so it might not be a bad idea to plan ahead a bit. Still, those needs lag far behind offensive line and quarterback. Keep in mind, by the time the draft rolls around, that list could change.

David Simeral @Sims4Short
What does the organization project Barret Jones to be? Is he the answer at Center or Guard? Really confused by him.

@nwagoner: I think in their ideal world, the answer is Barret Jones would become the starting center at some point. But right now, I don't see how anyone can realistically project that since he hasn't played much at all. In fact, he was still behind Tim Barnes on the depth chart all season and the Rams also believe seventh-round draft choice Demetrius Rhaney has some promise. If Jones doesn't stay healthy through camp and offer some semblance of being able to contribute this year, his future in St. Louis would have to come into question.

Terry Askew @CygnusT1
If Stan announces he's moving even if we have a viable plan and ready to break ground, does STL have legal recourse?

@nwagoner: I'm not a lawyer so I don't know for sure but what would the city's legal recourse be? If anything, the hope for the city in that event would be the NFL attempting to block a move. But I ask this question: In a plan that asks the owner of the team to pay about $250 million out of pocket and pay back another $200 million in a G4 loan (which would come from suite revenues but still money not going into said owner's pockets), how could one argue that the plan was in place? The plan depends on his cooperation, and is not independent of it. I don't see how anyone can force an owner to pay for a stadium he might want no part of. And for the record, I'm not saying that's the case, just saying I don't know what the legal recourse would be.

LA Rams Fan Zone @LARamsFanZone
What will be the going rate $$$ to resign Britt?

@nwagoner: It'll be interesting to see how he's valued but since I expect Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas to be off the market, Kenny Britt might get his share of action. He's an interesting case because he knows playing for Jeff Fisher is the best option for him. So long as the Rams' offer is competitive, I'd imagine they'll be able to keep him. As for a price, I really don't know but I'd think something in the $4-5 million annual range would make sense.

john meade @jmm_58
Assuming Rams have another subpar season under Fisher next yr, will a change in coaching be likely?

@nwagoner: How subpar are we talking? Honestly, I still have a hard time believing that Stan Kroenke would pay Fisher around $7 million to sit at home and watch. Now, if your definition of subpar is something really awful, perhaps that could change. And much might depend on where the team's future is as well.

SeattleRams @seattlerams
What do you think is the issue standing in the way of any Rams OC related news? Fisher’s style of ball, Moving? QB?

@nwagoner: It'd be naive to think it's not a combination of all of those things. The Fisher angle is a little bit of a chicken or the egg type of thing. Is he only pursuing candidates that fit his philosophy or are candidates avoiding the Rams because of fear of that philosophy? The lack of a settled quarterback solution and the fact that other jobs present more job security (new coaches are more certain to stay in their jobs beyond next year and the following year) also don't help much. I personally think the idea of a potential relocation to Los Angeles probably isn't a deterrent at all when it comes to free agents (it might even be more appealing for players) but coaches are creatures of habit and a disruption of those habits can be tough. I'd say that's the least of their concerns compared to the others, though.

David Carpenter @carpy45
I think Clemens better than Hill or Davis. Did Rams make mistake letting Clemens walk? Could they get him back?

@nwagoner: When Kellen Clemens left, I actually wrote that I thought it was a mistake (though not a huge one) not to bring him back. He wasn't very costly but he did get two years to go to San Diego. I have no idea if the season would've been different with Clemens than Austin Davis or Shaun Hill but he provided stability, leadership and some play making ability that I think played really well in the Rams' locker room. Doubt he'd be brought back since Rams would have to trade for him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think Clemens better than Hill or Davis. Did Rams make mistake letting Clemens walk? Could they get him back?

@nwagoner: When Kellen Clemens left, I actually wrote that I thought it was a mistake (though not a huge one) not to bring him back. He wasn't very costly but he did get two years to go to San Diego. I have no idea if the season would've been different with Clemens than Austin Davis or Shaun Hill but he provided stability, leadership and some play making ability that I think played really well in the Rams' locker room. Doubt he'd be brought back since Rams would have to trade for him.
Hell yes....and I thought Clemmens was bad...Hill was worse....Davis was expected...That said, it would be crazy to let Davis walk...We need 3 QB's