Rams mailbag: Trumaine Johnson's situation, GRob's future and Goff's progress

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
upload_2017-6-3_19-55-51.png

Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson received the franchise tag for a second consecutive year. (John Cordes / Associated Press)

70x70

By Gary KleinContact Reporter

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson joined defensive tackle Aaron Donald on the absentee list during the second week of organized team activities.

The Rams have four OTA workouts remaining this week, and they also will hold a mandatory minicamp June 13-15.

Now, on to your questions. Keep them coming at @latimesklein or gary.klein@latimes.com.

Follow
Sly Gonzalez @ThinkBlue47

@LATimesklein With all this @AaronDonald97 extension talks, any word on a @Trujohnson2 contract?! #RamsMailBag
1:55 PM - 30 May 2017

No word.

Only one OTA workout per week is open to the media, so we won’t know until Monday whether cornerback Trumaine Johnson’s absences during the second week were contract related.

Johnson received the franchise tag for the second consecutive year and is scheduled to earn nearly $17 million this season. The Rams have until July 15 to sign Johnson to an extension. Otherwise, he plays under the one-year deal.

General manger Les Snead has said that the Rams would wait until OTAs are complete to decide if Johnson is a “fit” for Wade Phillips’ 3-4 scheme.

OTAs are voluntary, and Johnson might have a personal situation that precluded him from participating. But if a player wants to establish himself as an integral part of the team — especially with a new coaching staff — it seems like it would serve him well to be there.

Follow
David Carpenter @carpy45

@LATimesklein Is not his $16 mil guaranteed? Why stay away? A longer contract is not going to get him that much in a year

Johnson will earn a guaranteed $16,742,400 this season.

As noted above, OTAs are voluntary. And if Johnson has a personal situation that requires attention, criticism about his absence is not warranted.

A longer contract might not pay him that much yearly, but it would probably come with more guaranteed money, a lot more.
Follow
Flipper Anderson @dcfilmninja

@LATimesklein If Johnson is disgruntled w @RamsNFL what options do they have to deal him? Seems like it could be stalemate. Eat contract & draft? #Rams

The Rams made Johnson available for trade after they put the franchise tag on him but apparently could find no takers or could not work out a deal.

Johnson has said he loves his teammates and is hopeful that his career will continue with the Rams. He, like all players, acknowledges that the NFL is a business, often a cold one.

I would not expect the Rams to “eat” the contract. If you’re paying a guy nearly $17 million, you want him on the field.

We’ll see how Kayvon Webster and other cornerbacks play this season. But I would expect cornerback to be high on the Rams’ priority list in the 2018 draft.

Follow
Gavin @Gavoth

@LATimesklein Now GRob is with the second team would it make sense to slot Jamon Brown in at RG and move Havenstein back to RT?

Greg Robinson began OTAs working as the first-team right tackle but appeared to be supplanted last week by Jamon Brown.

Rob Havenstein started at right tackle for two seasons and Brown played both guard spots, so it seems logical that they might return to those positions.

Except this is a new coaching staff.

Sean McVay and offensive line coach Aaron Kromer seem intent at this point on Havenstein playing guard.

Brown played tackle in college at Louisville, so it’s not like he’s a novice. In McVay/Kromer’s scheme, perhaps he’s a good fit.

Of course, it’s OTAs in May, not training camp in July.

Follow
Robert Schaeffer @MynamesPierce

@LATimesklein Do you think #73 is still paying the price being put to T day one? Fish SAID he'd be a G at first. Kid had bad coaching from day 1. #16 sat.

Robinson, the No. 2 pick in the 2014 draft, played guard a few games during his rookie season before moving to tackle.

Robinson was benched twice last season and there was talk of him possibly moving to guard.

But McVay has opted to try him at right tackle.

It is difficult to determine if Robinson’s lack of progress is due to the player, the coaching or both.

Follow
Chris (R)ansom @Chris_Ransom

@LATimesklein Whats the odds Greg Robinson doesnt make the team?

Follow
Frank-O @3_wide

@LATimesklein Odd GRob makes the 53 man cut? I say 0%, it's over.

I’m not an oddsmaker, but my sense is that Greg Robinson has better than a 0% chance of making the final roster.

A lot can happen — injuries, for example — that can change the situation for any team.

If Kromer is as accomplished as billed, it seems like he would welcome the challenge of molding Robinson into a productive player.

Follow
BlueBlood_Rams @Blueblood_Rams

How is Goff doing? Number of INTs, number of TDs, overthrown balls, pocket management.... etc what is the real word in there? https://twitter.com/latimesklein/status/869612550232526848 …

The media has only been allowed to observe two OTA workouts. Jared Goff looked competent in both and very good at times in the second workout.

I cannot provide you with accurate statistics on the numbers of touchdowns, interceptions and overthrown balls.

From what I have seen, his pocket presence and management have been good. But remember, there is no live contact and no one is wearing pads.

Follow
Mike Mulia @MikeMulia1

@LATimesklein What is going on with the QB? Does McVay potentially see Mannion as giving the Rams a better chance to win this year?

Jared Goff is the starting quarterback and Sean Mannion is the backup.

McVay, like most coaches, is going to publicly profess that there is competition at all positions.

The Rams invested heavily in Goff. He is getting all of the first-team reps. At this point, McVay sees Goff as the quarterback who gives the Rams the best chance to win this year.

Follow
Jerry Souza @jjerbear17

@LATimesklein Don't you think the Rams need a backup qb with experience in case goff gets hurt and mannion underperformance?

Not necessarily.

If Goff suffers an injury and Mannion underperforms, the Rams can make a move then. Or play through the struggles.

The Rams are not projected as a Super Bowl contender and there is no internal pressure on McVay to make the playoffs in his first season.

Goff and Mannion are in their second and third seasons, respectively. They should play and develop, even if it becomes painful to watch.

Follow
DVH @d_v_h

@LATimesklein I find the discussion about a #1 WR unnecessary. If you have enough WRs with complementary skill sets, aren't the labels ridiculous?

You make a valid point.

The goal is to win games. And if a collection of receivers can get the job done without a pecking order, that is fantastic.

But ask a receiver — or their agent or a general manager — if a No. 1 receiver label makes a difference when they are negotiating contracts.

As Robert Woods told me when discussing the Washington Redskins and their offense under McVay last season: “They find ways to get receivers the ball and become a No. 1. Or two No. 1s.”

Follow
MiKe C. @BeastModeMike08

@LATimesklein Which rookie WR will have greater impact on the team Reynolds or Krupp?

Cooper Kupp from Eastern Washington was selected by the Rams in the third round, Josh Reynolds of Texas A&M in the fourth.

Kupp, the all-time receiving leader in the NCAA’s Football Championship Subdivision, started for four years and appears suited for short and mid-range passes. Reynolds is taller and perhaps more of a deep threat.

From what I have seen in rookie minicamp and OTA workouts, Kupp appears likely to have the more immediate impact. But Reynolds has made some notable plays as well.

Follow
Brett Shepherd @brettshep43

@LATimesklein @LATimesfarmer Can the rams mysteriously remove the FUGLY GOLD from their uniforms?

Follow
MICHAEL Threalkill @MThrealkill

@LATimesklein Can we get rid of the gold and blue uniforms? The ghost of Mike Martz #44years Rams fan

The Rams made some slight changes to their uniforms for this season — white horns on the helmets, blue stripe on the pants — but some gold accents will remain on the jerseys.

The Rams planned for a rebrand, including new uniforms, to coincide with a move into their new stadium in 2019. The stadium completion has been delayed until 2020.

The Rams could still opt to go with new uniforms in 2019.

I’m not certain what they will look like. But I do not anticipate even a stitch of gold.

Follow
Kyle Aletter Oldham @sassygal09

@LATimesklein Gary, what team do u think used the drafting process to put themselves in contention 4 creating the perfect combination of passion & talent?

I am going to assume you are referring to the recent NFL draft rather than drafts over time.

It’s difficult to assess how newly drafted players will perform as rookies and develop. And as the Rams beat writer I’m pretty fixated on their situation and the teams in their division.

The Rams addressed some of their needs, the Seahawks under Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider have a history of drafting well, the Cardinals took care of some defensive needs early and the 49ers had a splashy draft under new coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch.

Outside of the NFC West

The Cleveland Browns are a long way from winning a Super Bowl, but it was sure fun to watch them trade and utilize their stockpile of picks in this year’s draft. And they will have plenty next year as well.

If the talent develops — and if they ever develop a quarterback — one of the most passionate fan bases in sports might eventually be rewarded.

Follow
Mike Mueller @mmueller1070

@LATimesklein How does Snead still have a job?Oh wait,I know.The Rams aren't trying to win.They are trying to maximize the value of Kroenke's portfolio.

General manager Les Snead survived the firing of Jeff Fisher even though the Rams have not had a winning season during his five-year tenure.

They are 31-48-1 in that time.

But I think it’s inaccurate to say the Rams aren’t trying to win.

Owner Stan Kroenke’s sizable portfolio would get a boost, it seems, if the Rams were annual contenders for the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Follow
Gavin @Gavoth

@LATimesklein If coming season is a disaster and Snead is fired would the coaching staff get second chance or would decks be cleared?

I guess it depends on what you define as a “disaster.”

A winless season? Players and coaches in trouble off the field?

The Rams are looking for McVay and his staff to make progress. This is a team that won four games last season.

The Rams did not hire a 31-year-old coach with the intent of keeping him around for one season. McVay will have a few years to turn around the franchise’s fortunes.

Follow
RamFam Podcaster @RamfamPodcaster

@LATimesklein Who are we most likely to sweep this year in our division.

Not the Seahawks.

Probably not the Cardinals.

Perhaps the 49ers, though that’s what I thought in 2016 — and the Rams got swept.

Follow
Brandon Bate @NoPlanB_

@LATimesklein if 7 Eleven is open 24 hours a day, why do the doors have locks?

Hmm.

Perhaps they are to be used on July 11 of each year, otherwise known as Free Slurpee Day. If a huge crowd descends on a store, the doors could be locked intermittently to control entry.

Follow
Danny Trust @TrustLawrence

@LATimesklein Since you are a "Contact Reporter". Do you think you could put on pads and a helmut, and tell us what it`s like to be hit by Aaron Donald?

The late George Plimpton set the standard for that kind of participatory journalism with his book “Paper Lion.”

I’m all for giving readers an up-close look at sports and the athletes who play them.

But I’m not eager to be hit by Aaron Donald.

Especially if he’s upset about a contract situation.

Thanks for all the great questions. Let’s do it again next week.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am tiring of TruJo drama. The franchise tag is proving to be a massive mistake, and we don't need a guy with a bad attitude ruining the defensive room's progress. Hope he can remain professional this year, otherwise just cut his @ss.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
@LATimesklein I find the discussion about a #1 WR unnecessary. If you have enough WRs with complementary skill sets, aren't the labels ridiculous?

You make a valid point.

The goal is to win games. And if a collection of receivers can get the job done without a pecking order, that is fantastic.

But ask a receiver — or their agent or a general manager — if a No. 1 receiver label makes a difference when they are negotiating contracts.

As Robert Woods told me when discussing the Washington Redskins and their offense under McVay last season: “They find ways to get receivers the ball and become a No. 1. Or two No. 1s.”

Guy brings up a great point and Klein gives an idiotic response. Rams and their fans don't care if a WR goes to the team bragging he's the #1 WR for a contract. We want a quality offense and if we have one with 6 good WR's who are interchangeable and all perform well all the better. Contract status matters for nothing.

@LATimesklein How does Snead still have a job?Oh wait,I know.The Rams aren't trying to win.They are trying to maximize the value of Kroenke's portfolio.

General manager Les Snead survived the firing of Jeff Fisher even though the Rams have not had a winning season during his five-year tenure.

They are 31-48-1 in that time.

But I think it’s inaccurate to say the Rams aren’t trying to win.

Owner Stan Kroenke’s sizable portfolio would get a boost, it seems, if the Rams were annual contenders for the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Checked the location of where the question came from. Unfortunate somebody has to troll a Rams mailbag halfway across the country instead of choosing to contribute to the discussion.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Checked the location of where the question came from. Unfortunate somebody has to troll a Rams mailbag halfway across the country instead of choosing to contribute to the discussion.

Did they just insert a question from jt's mailbag?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Inserting? I can insert anything all day everyday.

If tru becomes a pro bowler this year I say we keep him since its a show and tell ...

WestCoastRam

Legend
I gotta say, Gary Klein is pretty underwhelming compared to Brognisore, Curley and others when it comes to giving meaty answers to questions. I find his Q and A's big nothing-burgers.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, hate the Patriots all we want, but man, they get guys to play for pennies on the dollar. Here we are with cap problems out the ass and guys holding out. What happened to WE not ME? Lot's of fricken ME going on here right now.

fearsomefour

Legend
So, hate the Patriots all we want, but man, they get guys to play for pennies on the dollar. Here we are with cap problems out the ass and guys holding out. What happened to WE not ME? Lot's of fricken ME going on here right now.
That stuff is for high school.
It's a couple voluntary workouts.
Not a biggie yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Cap problems? We don't have cap problems.

Patriots get guys to play for pennies on the dollars because they sign underutilized or poorly-utilized players. Accordingly, they sign them for their market value at the time, and those players end up thriving in the system. At that point, those players either get paid by NE or walk in FA. If they walk, NE replaces them with someone else. It speaks to Belichick's ability to identify talent that fits his system. But they aren't getting guys to pay for pennies on the dollar...except for Brady.(and we all know why that is)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Cap problems? We don't have cap problems.

Patriots get guys to play for pennies on the dollars because they sign underutilized or poorly-utilized players. Accordingly, they sign them for their market value at the time, and those players end up thriving in the system. At that point, those players either get paid by NE or walk in FA. If they walk, NE replaces them with someone else. It speaks to Belichick's ability to identify talent that fits his system. But they aren't getting guys to pay for pennies on the dollar...except for Brady.(and we all know why that is)
And....they sign, maybe, just maybe, because they want to win. Changes things, a little.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Players also sign cheaply with pats because they think it's their best chance at a ring. Another way their cheating tradition has secured perpetual success.

The thing about voluntary workouts is not that they're voluntary. It's about what message you send to the team. Goff didn't have to be be at the rookie workouts but his presence was noted and appreciated by all. For the money they get, and if they truly love the game and all that team brotherhood stuff, then be there like goff was, even if your contract negotiations keep you from practicing on the field.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
I hate holdouts. It's contagious and long term holdouts (holdouts that that last through TC and into preseason games) usually lead to nagging injuries throughout the season