Rams mailbag: Sorting through the running backs/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I can play running back as well as Reynolds. Great ST-er but terrible at RB. I think Memphis is right, they basically HAVE to have another RB on the roster if they think Gurley can't go. BUT, I wonder if by the 1st game they think he's ready....

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler

I agree with everything you said in this post and the same thought has already crossed my mind. I just think Pead is a better back than Reynolds and Watts and Pead has special teams value.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger

Pead is actually in the fourth year of his contract (part 2012 draft class). According to Over The Cap (http://overthecap.com/player/isaiah-pead/1324/), Pead did not sign an extension, he just took a pay cut on his base salary from $940K to $585K so his base pay is now in line with his competition: Watts (prorated salary after the suspension $382.5K), Reynolds ($585K salary), Brown ($435K salary), and Laskey ($435K salary).

With Watts' suspension and Gurley's early season inactivity, I actually think Pead has a very strong chance of taking the final RB spot. Note: The UDFA's (Brown & Laskey) (not sure about Watts) are all eligible for the Practice squad while Pead is not. When Watts suspension ends and Gurley gets going (probably about the same approximate time frame) then Pead could be in jeopardy of being released but by then he may also have had a chance to prove his value as well.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger

Being on IR does not negate that year of the contract. I noted in my post that Pead was in the 4th year of his contract. He was paid his 2014 salary while on IR. He may only have two season of actual playing time but since he was on IR for the full season he still accrued a full season of credit contractually and thus he will be a FA next year. Since he is in the fourth year of his contract it can be reworked. Note he is listed as being in his 4th season on the Rams official website and all others as well. I am not trying to start an argument but I believe you are misinformed on his contact details/status or either we are misinterpreting what each is trying to state.

Last edited:

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Hmm. It appears I'm in the minority here, I love Reynolds.

I think it's vital to have guys who you can commit to special teams roles and know that they'll be plus contributors there. We all love depth from scrimmage but special teams is a vital portion of the game as well.