Rams mailbag: Sorting through the running backs/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: Sorting through the running backs
By Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/20404/rams-mailbag-sorting-through-the-running-backs

The St. Louis Rams are in southern California as they prepare to spend two days practicing with the Dallas Cowboys. They're coming off an 18-3 loss to the Oakland Raiders in their preseason opener, but the time with Dallas is the real main event in the eyes of coach Jeff Fisher.

SeattleRams @seattlerams
With Watts suspended the first four games and Gurley due to mis a few games, what RB's make the Rams 53-man roster?

@nwagoner: That's a good, tough question. I actually liked some of what I saw from undrafted rookie Malcolm Brown against the Raiders, though he had only three touches so the sample size was small. It was the first time in this camp/preseason he'd done much that caught my eye. But he was a guy the Rams liked coming out and gave a decent signing bonus to, so don't be surprised if he at least gets a chance to earn a spot. Isaiah Pead is still in the mix and had a couple of moments against the Raiders. This is his last chance, but if he can prove valuable on special teams, perhaps he sneaks a spot. It's safe to say Todd Gurley, Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham and Chase Reynolds are locked in here. The question then becomes who wins the fifth spot or, perhaps even more important, is there a fifth spot? Remember, the Rams likely will be heavy on offensive linemen and will carry three quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. Perhaps they'll go with one less back than they have in recent years.

Adam Benson @abenny1992
Prior to the preseason games, which of the newcomers to the offensive line do you feel are ready for week one?

@nwagoner: You asked this before the preseason games started but my answer then remains the same: zero. The reality is that the offensive line is a work in progress. Youngsters Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein had some good moments against the Raiders and some rough ones, but overall they held their own for the two series they were in. I'd say Brown is closer to being ready for the season than Havenstein, but I'm sure they'd be the first to tell you they still have a lot of work to do between now and then. Havenstein had a tendency to play a little high in pass protection against Oakland and that's something he'll need to correct sooner than later. The good news is that there's still a lot of time for them to get up to speed, but I still think it wise to expect some growing pains for the offense as a whole and the line in particular.

Brian Moran @TeddyMoran
After last year's struggle v the run while Dunbar was susp, is there a risk of a repeat if he doesn't start this year?

@nwagoner: While Dunbar's absence certainly didn't help things in that regard, I would venture to say that plugging Aaron Donald into the lineup and moving Michael Brockers to nose tackle was the biggest factor in the team's improved run defense. Akeem Ayers is a big, physical type who should be fine against the run when he's in there as well. Dunbar still will have a role (it could be to help on running downs) but again, I wouldn't attribute the struggles against the run in the early season last year solely or even mostly to his absence.

LA Rams Fan Zone @LARamsFanZone
For 14 yrs. Chargers owner Spanos couldn't do a deal in San Diego or LA, so now the @NFL should reward him with LA out of pity?

@nwagoner: Well, that's one school of thought, I suppose. Of course, another would argue that they've been trying for 14 years and Spanos hasn't had much cooperation, which is what makes him the most qualified to move. And remember, this isn't the NFL, this is the NFL owners making the decision on who lands in Los Angeles. Those owners are going to make that decision based on a variety of factors, but these two are at the top of the list (in order): 1. Whatever most enriches and benefits them individually; 2. The person or people they believe can make it work in Los Angeles long term.

Dylan Creighton @DylanJames_77
Haven't heard much on L. Joyner this summer. What is his role looking like this year?

@nwagoner: Even before E.J. Gaines suffered his foot injury, Joyner projected as the team's slot corner with Gaines and Janoris Jenkins on the outside. Without Gaines, that only seems to have solidified Trumaine Johnson outside with Joyner in the slot. Joyner has earned rave reviews from the coaching staff for how he returned this year, but he had some rough moments against the Raiders the other night. Still, he's the most likely inside corner when the Rams go to the nickel heading toward the season.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I've never really given it a ton of thought but damn, with Gurley, Mason, Cunningham and Reynolds on the roster, I just don't see us having room for a 5th given that we'll need spots for other guys like the 3rd QB and offensive line this year. Think that means Pead is cut and they'll try to stash Brown on the practice squad. Watts may have a spot when he returns but more than likely not.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watts may have a spot when he returns but more than likely not.

One thing going for Watts is that if anybody is dinged up or worse after week 4 - he will be on the roster already. Ironically, the suspension may end up helping him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
One thing going for Watts is that if anybody is dinged up or worse after week 4 - he will be on the roster already. Ironically, the suspension may end up helping him.

Really good point.

Two others:

We have to keep Battle AND a QB on the squad that we didn't have last year. That really affects our roster. Let's IR Wichman (or whatever his name is) and I could see us cutting a center. Most likely Jones. Rhaney has upside but might not be there yet, Barnes, if he plays like he did in the 1st game is our guy. I'm not sure Jones is good enough to back up at guard either.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've never really given it a ton of thought but damn, with Gurley, Mason, Cunningham and Reynolds on the roster, I just don't see us having room for a 5th given that we'll need spots for other guys like the 3rd QB and offensive line this year. Think that means Pead is cut and they'll try to stash Brown on the practice squad. Watts may have a spot when he returns but more than likely not.
Agree, I'd say we try to stash Watts and Brown on the PS and trade or cut Pead. Like he says there's going to have to be 2 extra spots for QB and OL, at least, so a few changes will be made.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The more I see and hear things about the offense, the more I think we're going to struggle to score points. Starting against Seattle is going to be tough. The defense will have to be dominant from the start to have a chance. And the starters were far from that in the limited time against Oakland. I'm hoping its because it was game one preseason and Williams wasn't dialing up the normal pressure.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Probably not going to be a popular post, but I never liked Reynolds. I'd prefer Pead to make the roster. I think he has more upside then Watts and Reynolds.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Also remember that Pead took a pay cut. I kinda took that as a sign that the Rams want to retain him. If they didn't want him I think they'd outright cut him and not bother with a contract restructure.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Probably not going to be a popular post, but I never liked Reynolds. I'd prefer Pead to make the roster. I think he has more upside then Watts and Reynolds.

Pead has more value as a back - as a third down back especially - but Reynolds has more value on ST. And when you're talking about 4th or 5th RB then its special team value that is important. There's no way they dont take a ST stud like Reynolds. I'd love to see Pead get one more chance because I do think he could be a good running back in this league - but he has had a lot of chances and I understand people who say "why keep this guy? he's never shown anything" - because its true, he hasn't shown a thing yet.

Ramfreak

UDFA
Name
Ramfreak
Don't know why Reynolds would be a lock to make this roster. If Pead shines I see him making the team when you consider Gurley won't be used yet. Watts is out for 4 weeks. Bennie and Tre are the only true RBs we'll have ready for week 1. I have to believe Pead is in.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Don't know why Reynolds would be a lock to make this roster. If Pead shines I see him making the team when you consider Gurley won't be used yet. Watts is out for 4 weeks. Bennie and Tre are the only true RBs we'll have ready for week 1. I have to believe Pead is in.

I'm not buying Reynolds either. You can only hold onto so many guys that are special teams only.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Excellent point.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm not buying Reynolds either. You can only hold onto so many guys that are special teams only.
You are right, but when looking at Reynolds roster spot, I think it is misleading to compare him the the rest of the RBs.

I would compare him to the rest of the Special Team players that are competing for that spot. Admittedly, Pead would be on that list.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
The more I see and hear things about the offense, the more I think we're going to struggle to score points. Starting against Seattle is going to be tough. The defense will have to be dominant from the start to have a chance. And the starters were far from that in the limited time against Oakland. I'm hoping its because it was game one preseason and Williams wasn't dialing up the normal pressure.

That's what I've been thinking the entire preseason. I think a lot of folks may have anticipated point production closer to 24 pts a game, but I have serious doubts. If the O line comes together miraculously and everything jells in the backfield and the WR's make hero's of themselves, sans GSOT, then great. Now about that swamp land I mentioned...

Certainly no firm conclusions can be reached at this point, what we watched in Oakland is meaningless, everyone understands that......but still. :cautious:

Memphis Ram

Legend

Until Gurley is ready to play, I can see the team having room for a 5th RB.

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's what I've been thinking the entire preseason. I think a lot of folks may have anticipated point production closer to 24 pts a game, but I have serious doubts. If the O line comes together miraculously and everything jells in the backfield and the WR's make hero's of themselves, sans GSOT, then great. Now about that swamp land I mentioned...

Certainly no firm conclusions can be reached at this point, what we watched in Oakland is meaningless, everyone understands that......but still. :cautious:

I don't think the Rams can pull down 24 a game early, but by mid season I think it's very possible.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler

It's no secret Pead had a terrible start to his career. I'm sure he knew he had to take less money if he had any chance to stick with the team. Like another poster said in a different thread Fisher is not quick to give up on his players. The fact they offered him a contract at all instead of out right cutting him to me shows that they still have interest in retaining him.