Rams mailbag: Rookies arrive in St. Louis/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really don't think you guys are reading what Wagoner said correctly when he says this:

"If that's Sean Mannion's future, it probably doesn't bode well for the 2015 Rams."

What he's saying is that Foles is our starter and if Mannion comes in during the season and takes over the starting job it will probably be because Foles has been stinking up the place and that means losses. The Rams can't recover from a bunch of early season losses. Especially in our division. Even if he took over from Foles due to injury, how could that bode well for the Rams season IN 2015 (not in the following years)? That's all he's saying with that comment.
My comments transends this one article..Waggoner doesn't like Mannion that much

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yes, Waggoner's pre-judgement about Mannion torques me a little. No one knows how well he will do in the NFL. This goes for everyone in the draft, btw. Being a 1st round QB doesn't guarantee anything, although it may make the possibility of success better, admittedly. Still, Waggoner's opinion in this means next to nothing to me. I listen to Mannion, and he sounds like his head is on straight. Fisher says that he makes "all of the throws" and that his delivery is quicker than it was. I am excited about Foles, but am so glad we have a real developmental QB behind the starting QB now.
+1000

I couldn't agreee more. I like Waggoner, but as is the case with Jim Thomas, these guys just shouldn't be exposing their player evaluation "skills" like this. They seem to think because they have a public forum to share it, somehow their OPINION means more than the average JOE FAN.

Their wheelhouse is REPORTING the "what, when, where, and who" as it pertains to the Rams. When they venture into the "why" or try to sell their opinion on such matters, they are way out of their league. But they want to make their readers believe they are privy to all the background on these players. It just isn't the case.

Alan

Legend
LoyalRam clarifying his earlier response:
My comments transends this one article..Waggoner doesn't like Mannion that much
OK. But my post wasn't just addressed to you.

You realize that this statement,

"I'm also not sold that Mannion will ever be a starter. Not ruling it out, but making such a proclamation now would be way over the top. In the Rams' ideal world, Foles plays very well in 2015, earns an extension and the team can keep bringing Mannion along as a solid backup."

just puts him with the vast majority of experts that thought his (and all the other second tier QBs) ceiling is "capable backup QB" right? Isn't that why none of them were drafted early? Not that that is a horrible thing mind you. I too am so glad we have a real developmental QB behind the starting QB now. (y)

It's also probably exactly ( as he alluded too) what the Rams were thinking or they wouldn't have traded Sam to get Foles. I think if they didn't think Foles had a good chance to be the answer for us at QB they would have taken the other offer that consisted of a first round pick. Do you disagree?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK. But my post wasn't just addressed to you.

You realize that this statement,

"I'm also not sold that Mannion will ever be a starter. Not ruling it out, but making such a proclamation now would be way over the top. In the Rams' ideal world, Foles plays very well in 2015, earns an extension and the team can keep bringing Mannion along as a solid backup."

just puts him with the vast majority of experts that thought his (and all the other second tier QBs) ceiling is "capable backup QB" right? Isn't that why none of them were drafted early? Not that that is a horrible thing mind you. I too am so glad we have a real developmental QB behind the starting QB now. (y)

It's also probably exactly ( as he alluded too) what the Rams were thinking or they wouldn't have traded Sam to get Foles. I think if they didn't think Foles had a good chance to be the answer for us at QB they would have taken the other offer that consisted of a first round pick. Do you disagree?
I mostly agree....I was more responding to the underlying negativity, expressed by "I'm also not sold that Mannion will ever be a starter. Not ruling it out, but making such a proclamation now would be way over the top" It's also way over the top that he is able to examine drafted QB's and pick starters..LOTS of 1st round QB's are non-starters. The real deal for me is that when he downgrades Mannion, it might be because he's butthurt that we didn't pick the draft the way he thought the Rams should...jmo

Alan

Legend
LoyalRam not liking the negativity:
I mostly agree....I was more responding to the underlying negativity
Yeah, opinions about him seem to vary quite a bit. I don't know who will turn out to be correct about him but I sure am glad we finally drafted someone who has at least a realistic chance of turning out well for us. (y)

Picking the Gilberts/Austins of the world had little chance of ever turning out well.