Rams mailbag: Offensive line solutions/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: Offensive line solutions
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16211/rams-mailbag-offensive-line-solutions

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The NFL scouting combine is next week, and there is plenty going on in the world of the St. Louis Rams. Let's not waste any time and get down to business with your questions.

Remember, if you have questions for the Twitter mailbag, you can always find me @nwagoner on Twitter. Be sure to use the hashtag #RamsMail.

Mike Winchell @mswinchell
If Rams let Jake Long, Scott Wells, Barksdale go to save money, do you think they have anything in-house to replace?

@nwagoner: That's a really good question. There are bodies there, but do the Rams trust any of them enough to take over as starters? I'm not convinced that they do. The Rams have invested a lot of time in guys like Brandon Washington, Mike Person, Tim Barnes, and Barrett Jones. In an ideal world, they would be able to plug Jones in somewhere, but keep in mind he never rose above No. 3 on the depth chart at center last season. The Rams have high hopes for rookie center Demetrius Rhaney as well, but he's still wholly unproven. I tend to think if the Rams lose Barksdale to free agency and cut Wells, they would have to spend some money to sign at least one free agent, and then spend serious draft capital on the line.

Nick Carbaugh @CarbaughNation
Last offseason the Rams focused on shoring up DT. What unit might they look to shake up in 2015 that isn't obvious?

@nwagoner: Also a really good question, Nick. I think tight end might be the answer here. Lance Kendricks is going to be an unrestricted free agent, and Cory Harkey is a restricted free agent. I have little doubt they will bring Harkey back, but Kendricks is no sure thing. Jared Cook isn't going anywhere, not that they would save anything by letting him go anyway, but that could change next year. They have Alex Bayer and Justice Cunningham on the roster and like both, but neither is likely to turn into a game-changer. A top tight end isn't a need by any means, but it wouldn't be a surprise if the Rams kept their eyes open for one. Cornerback would be similar in the sense that Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are both unrestricted free agents after next season, and the Rams might be able to find an upgrade somewhere along the way.

Tyler Clark @DevilsPunch
@nwagoner What are your thoughts on Rob Boras handling the run game? Also, who are the best O-line FA's we have a shot at getting?

@nwagoner: It was a mild surprise that Rob Boras didn't get the offensive coordinator job. Everything pointed that way each of the previous two years when Brian Schottenheimer was looking at other jobs. But clearly Jeff Fisher wanted to go with the more experienced guy and chose Frank Cignetti. Regardless, Boras is still thought of enough to get a boost to assistant head coach/offense and have run game responsibility. Many in league circles think Boras is an up-and-comer, and his specialty is the run game. I don't mind the approach so long as everybody is on the same page. The Rams say they want to be a power running team, but the numbers don't really back up that they are one. Perhaps Boras can get that going.

Kev BANGER. @SirShowboat
Which attainable outside QB do you think is the Rams' best bet? Is Hundley really a fit, & will he be there in the 2nd?

@nwagoner: Honestly, there is not a single outside (realistic) quarterback option that does much for me. I'd be intrigued by a move up for Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota, but aside from that, everything is a roll of the dice and, actually, Winston and Mariota are, too. I haven't dived in deep on all of these guys yet, but have talked to a couple of scouts about Brett Hundley, and the impression I get is that he's not as highly thought of in league circles as by some of the media draft pundits. His physical tools are all there, but can he put it all together? That was the story of his college career, and it only elevates that going forward. You have already seen some movement toward Bryce Petty being the No. 3 quarterback in this draft. Regardless, the Rams need to find some outside help. The problem is there is just no obvious solution that represents an upgrade.

stay up lemon @lemonjii
What can honestly be expected of bradford if he returns for an entire healthy season?

@nwagoner: The health thing is such a big if at this point that it's hard to project. I don't know about specific numbers or anything, but I'll go this far: a healthy Sam Bradford for a full 16 games would post better numbers than any quarterback the Rams can realistically bring in this year in the draft or free agency.

J Dizle @jblayze611
Want is the chance the rams make a big hit in f/a

@nwagoner: Depends on your definition of a big hit. I wouldn't expect a bunch of big, splashy signings. But I think they could make a decent sized move with a few more ancillary additions. Much will depend on what happens with their own guys. If they re-sign Kenny Britt and Joe Barksdale, I don't think they would have a ton of room to work with. They are going to have a bunch of other guys to re-sign after next season, too..

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
a healthy Sam Bradford for a full 16 games would post better numbers than any quarterback the Rams can realistically bring in this year in the draft or free agency.
This ^ is the Only thing Wagoner has said in a Long time that I can completely agree with!!

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
This ^ is the Only thing Wagoner has said in a Long time that I can completely agree with!!
If Bradford can stay healthy this year - he could be awesome. He now has surprising low mileage on the rest of his body and should be in the shape of his life. I'm now 14 months post-ACL surgery and my knee feels great - he should be able to come back from the freak second injury.