Rams LT Andrew Whitworth: The NFL's best offseason addition?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Perhaps no NFL team improved at one position more than the Los Angeles Rams did at one of the game's most important ones.

The Rams went from quite possibly the game's worst left tackle in Greg Robinson to quite possibly the game's best in Andrew Whitworth. The Houston Texans have seemingly made a significant upgrade at quarterback, going from Brock Osweiler to Deshaun Watson.

The same can probably be said about the New York Jets at strong safety, from Calvin Pryor to Jamal Adams. Or the Jacksonville Jaguars at defensive end, from Tyson Alualu to Calais Campbell. But it's nearly impossible to match the Rams on Jared Goff's blind side.

Consider: Whitworth, guaranteed $15 million at the age of 35, has allowed one quarterback pressure through this season's first four games, according to Pro Football Focus. Last season, Robinson -- the former No. 2 overall pick who was recently called "lazy" by an opponent -- allowed 40 pressures in 14 starts.

You can make the case that Whitworth's presence -- more so than Goff's turnaround, Todd Gurley's surge, the overhaul at receiver, or even Sean McVay's scheme -- has been the main catalyst in the Rams' offensive breakthrough.

upload_2017-10-5_10-45-12.png

Veteran Andrew Whitworth (77) has been an immediate, and significant, upgrade at left tackle for the Rams. Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports

"He's made a huge influence and impact on our team," McVay said. "Not only on our offense, but on our team."

Whitworth's presence alone has helped the Rams' offensive line go from a major weakness to a major strength, one that has allowed only four sacks on Goff and has helped Gurley average a more respectable 4.2 yards per carry. But it isn't just Whitworth's play that has made an impact; it's his ability and desire to mentor others, most notably right tackle Rob Havenstein, who did a masterful job of blocking NFL sacks leader DeMarcus Lawrence on Sunday.

Havenstein, 25, calls Whitworth "one of the best to ever do it."

"I don't want to downplay that at all," Havenstein said, "but it's definitely great to have someone to ask all those little questions to. One of the biggest things is you feel welcomed to ask him, and he feels happy to help."

Whitworth is a captain on the Rams, even though it's his first season with them. McVay credited Whitworth with helping him as a first-year head coach, as someone he trusts to take the pulse of the locker room. Whitworth has started 168 of a possible 180 games in his 12-year NFL career, making three trips to the Pro Bowl along the way. But he didn't impose himself on teammates, McVay said. Whitworth let his work and his play speak for him, and he waited for others to seek him out as a byproduct of it.

"A lot of young people in today's society believe that leadership is the loudest person in the room, or the person who's always commanding people," Whitworth said. "To me, that's not leadership. That's just a loud voice; just someone who's assertive. There's a difference. Leadership, to me, is about the ability to have people want to hear what you have to say. People want to be around you, people want to believe in what you tell them, and they feel good when they walk away from you about who they are and what they're doing."

Whitworth has studied the elite athletes from other sports, whether it's Michael Jordan in basketball, Nolan Ryan in baseball or Wayne Gretzky in hockey. He also studied the great leaders in this country's history, namely Martin Luther King Jr. He wanted to know what made them special; what it was that allowed them to empower others. He wanted to take a little bit from all of them.

"You learn the most by listening," Whitworth said. "And so to me, always just listening, always just paying attention, and finding out what it is that people see in somebody like them. You find those things and you try to figure out how to fit them into who you are, who you want to be, and how you want to lead."

Whitworth has helped Havenstein with his technique, but he has also taught the third-year pro how to break down film on a deeper level. Whitworth's mentorship began as early as the Rams' offseason program in the spring, but it wasn't just with Havenstein. It was with Andrew Donnal, Darrell Williams, Jamon Brown and, before he was traded to the Detroit Lions, even Robinson himself.

Whitworth is trying to guide them the way he guided the likes of Anthony Collins and Andre Smith during his time with the Cincinnati Bengals, but he's also producing on his own.

Some nuggets to help put the difference between Whitworth and Robinson in perspective, courtesy of Pro Football Focus:

• Robinson has seen more penalties called on him this season (four) than Whitworth has allowed pressures (one) and penalties (one) combined.

• Robinson has allowed 19 quarterback pressures on 156 pass-blocking snaps, more than Whitworth and Havenstein (12) combined on 247 pass-blocking snaps.

• The entire Rams offensive line has allowed 36 total quarterback hits and quarterback hurries, and none of them have come from Whitworth.
"I still haven't played good enough yet," Whitworth said. "I don't ever think a day is a perfect day. There's always something. In my mind most of the time, a play that probably wasn't a pressure, or didn't look bad, I probably was pissed off about it. My mentality is always to seek perfection, and you'll find that if you can get somewhere close to it, or in the vicinity of that, that's good."

[www.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whitworth is a leader and that is what McVay and company loved about him, he told Goff to stop circling backwards away from the pocket to step up or run away from the pressure and they could protect him better, Goff has heeded Whitworth's advice and seems to have a better sense of pocket pressure, when Big Andrew speaks, people listen.

I still remember when the contract was announced most liked it with the exception of Charley Casserly, who felt it was too much for a guy 35 years old, however, Casserly did not factor in how well Whitworth keeps himself and is more cardio than power (but has that too) case in point in preseason when he almost caught Melvin Ingram.

Last edited:

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's it! I'm getting myself a Whitworth jersey. He probably one of the best signings the Rams had since Marshall Faulk, or shall I say acquisitions.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think Sleepy hit the nail on the head. Best new addition since Faulk. Fantastic free agent signing.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was skeptical of adding him during our mock offseason period. We'd been burned by signing oline in their 30s in the past and wasn't a fan of doing it again. That said he's been an invaluable addition in many ways. I hope he has the chance to mentor his successor.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Rams made the best player acquisition of the off-season Whitworth

Rams made the best off field acquisition of the off-season McVay

Funny how none of the pundits seemed to think so, as most rated the Rams off-season quite poorly.
Must be the first time they have erred.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The addition of two UFA veteran OL'ers have been key elements to getting this offense in full running smooth operation. Both Whitworth & Sullivan will be 36 & 33 next season...& I would hope that Snead & McVay concentrate on keeping this OL stocked with good solid talent a top priority into the future & NOT grow content.

Having Andrew Whitworth & Rodger Saffold team up duo on that left/weak side sure looks like a perfect marriage. RS has had some very poor partners over the years here & the last 2 seasons paired up with Robinson the worse. The Robinson disaster should throw red flags everywhere in the future drafts when selecting raw LT's so high in the first round. It looks like that high draft option will not be in 2018 thanks to a big part on Andrew Whitworth.I know RS is sleeping sound these days. RS 2017 performance is much better too thanks to a big part of both of these new Ram additions.

John Sullivan is a UFA in March of 2018, I hope we can resign him if he remains healthy this season. If not hen UFA Skin Spencer Long would be a outstanding addition to invest in. Long can play all three interior OL positions & he has done this for McVay before. If not then take a look @ UFA Packers center Corey Linsley. Rams need to address the future LT position in the 2018 draft on the second day.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
most rated the Rams off-season quite poorly.
Not from what I read.
I recall several articles that had Whitworth as one of the top three or four VFA acquisitions in the entire NFL in the 2017 offseason.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
"A lot of young people in today's society believe that leadership is the loudest person in the room, or the person who's always commanding people," Whitworth said. "To me, that's not leadership. That's just a loud voice; just someone who's assertive. There's a difference. Leadership, to me, is about the ability to have people want to hear what you have to say. People want to be around you, people want to believe in what you tell them, and they feel good when they walk away from you about who they are and what they're doing."

I remember people giving Bradford, maybe Goff a lot of flack about not following their definition of leadership. This quote sums up a good definition of it.

Whitworth is certainly an A+ FA acquisition and it's funny listening to all the pundits give us a C grade for signing him; haven't felt this good about our LT since Orlando Pace. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a say during the offseason about who might be his successor at LT, he is definitely a good teacher and his peers will follow to his standard

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
easy

none of the other additions would have mattered if Goff couldn't stay on his feet

A55VA6

Legend
Andrew Whitworth has by far been the best addition. Great locker room guy, great leader, great player.

Loves this Wired video from last week.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He's ridiculously consistent, and if you weren't a Rams fan, you would find it boring.

Same thing, every pass play ... he gets between his man and the QB, and stays between his man and the QB ... and keeps his man off the QB. Play after play after play ...

Now, if you are a Rams fan, as we are here, you find this pretty refreshing I bet.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Next to the QB, the LT is, perhaps, the most important position on the offense.

McVay hit a home run by jettisoning GRob for what he could and bringing in a real pro to take over.

Smart FA/trade moves (WR upgrade)

Smart draft picks.

What a refreshing change.

Ram65

Legend
Some nuggets to help put the difference between Whitworth and Robinson in perspective, courtesy of Pro Football Focus:

• Robinson has seen more penalties called on him this season (four) than Whitworth has allowed pressures (one) and penalties (one) combined.

• Robinson has allowed 19 quarterback pressures on 156 pass-blocking snaps, more than Whitworth and Havenstein (12) combined on 247 pass-blocking snaps.

When I was reading about Whitworth's addition I started to thinking about how little time Goff had last year with Robinson at LT. It's a double bonus for Goff. He doesn't have to worry about the blindside. Whitworth gave the Rams the opportunity to turn the offense around and they have.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Another bit of well deserved praise.

At the quarter mark of the 2017 NFL season, Gregg Rosenthal selects the best offseason additions.

Andrew Whitworth and friends, Los Angeles Rams

General manager Les Snead had an incredible offseason hand-picking the right pieces for coach Sean McVay's offense. It all starts with Whitworth. The 35-year-old left tackle has given up only one pass-rush pressure (a sack in Week 2) over four games, according to Pro Football Focus. The improved protection has anchored McVay's quick, timing-based offense, which has allowed quarterback Jared Goff to find open receivers. And he's had plenty to choose from.

Sammy Watkins arrived in a training camp trade, while fellow starting wideout Robert Woods signed in free agency. Only one of the Rams' five leading receivers, running back Todd Gurley, was on the team last year. The result: L.A. has transformed from the lowest-scoring offense of the last five years to the top-scoring offense in football. This is the type of turnaround that makes itchy owners elsewhere wonder, Why can't I get a new coach to do that?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I gave out a ton of "Threadwinners" on this thread because if you're smart enough to figure out how important Andrew Whitworth is to the Rams as compared to the other losers we've had at that position then you absolutely deserve a little virtual cartoon trophy.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
The one target they had in FA from the start is Whitworth.

Smart smart football move.
Any improvement on the Rams O would not be possible if the line was as poor as last year.

The great thing about Whitworth is that not only how good he is at his position or that he makes the rest of the line better.

Watching him give his all to chase Ingram after a preseason fumble that is invaluable as well

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, BTW @OldSchool brings a good point about the off season, quite frankly the only LT available was Whitworth and I kept responding, why would the Bengals let him walk and why would he want to leave Cincinnati after being there his whole career? Well, that is where being in Los Angeles is a plus because you always have a draw and the Rams treated Whitworth as a number one priority and made him feel like they not only wanted him for what he did on the field, but he was an important signing to change the culture for McVay even though Whitworth is 4 years older then his Head Coach.