Rams looking to trade for veteran WR?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
@JasonColeYahoo: Word is Rams may look to trade for vet WR after the market drained so fast. Also, drafting one is essential (Blackmon, Floyd for example)

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Any idea who, Dash?

I can't really think of many vet WRs that may be on the trade block.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That is interesting. Wallace? Please... Please...

The market has moved fast at this position which could put us in a bind come draft day... Still some good WR's available... but we better move quick;

Top Tier
Mike Wallace (trade required)
Steve Johnson (UFA Bills)

Next Tier
Early Doucet (UFA Cards)
Mario Manningham (UFA Giants)
Brandon Lloyd (UFA Rams)

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
Any idea who, Dash?

I can't really think of many vet WRs that may be on the trade block.

There was one rumor put out there on Twitter a couple hours ago about a Desean Jackson trade, but I dont trust the person (@ALLsportsINTEL) who tweeted it. Nobody has confirmed it. Yesterday he tweeted that Matt Flynn was close to becoming Brown new QB. Today, folks at the Browns Plain Dealer said that isnt true.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If there is any truth to this; Wallace or Dwayne Bowe are the logical choices based on current contract status.

But; maybe there is someone under contract entering their last year we should be thinking about?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
CGI_Ram said:
If there is any truth to this; Wallace or Dwayne Bowe are the logical choices based on current contract status.

But; maybe there is someone under contract entering their last year we should be thinking about?

Don't think the Rams would give up their first for Wallace. Pitt does have a couple of guys that meet the other requirement though. Don't think they'd give up Antonio Brown, but Emmanuel Sanders is also a guy who's going to be a FA next year.
Otherwise there aren't many names off the top of my head. Wouldn't mind seeing Early Doucet as a Ram...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Are we EVER going to have a #1 WR again? :grr:

moklerman

Warner-phile
Hey CGI, nice to see you over at this site.

I think what the Rams need is a go-to type WR and all the guys being mentioned don't really fit that bill.

I'm glad they didn't go after Colston as I don't think he's very reliable in terms of health any more.

Jackson was pretty much the best choice of what was available but I don't see him as worth the money/risk with the injuries and issues that he's had.

Pretty much everyone else I'm glad they passed on for the money it would have taken to get them and the return that it would have netted. Meachem, Garcon', Manningham, Doucet, etc. just seem like J.A.G.'s to me. Not the #1 WR that the Rams need. Maybe Reggie Wayne would have been good but he just seems like he's getting old even though 33 isn't literally old and he probably wasn't a reasonable option money-wise.

It sure looks like it's draft pick or bust and as much as I've been impressed by Blackmon, I'm not completely comfortable about the Rams relying on a rookie WR to be "the guy". I mean, do the Rams really have much to offer in a potential trade? Sure, they have additional draft picks but can they really afford to offer them?

They're really in a spot now where there is going to be some risk involved in whatever they do. Doe they go after someone like Plaxico, Braylon, Roy....<gulp> T.O.? Honestly, I still can't get the idea of an incentive laden, 1 year deal for T.O. out of my head as an option. Even at 38 he'd be an upgrade over anything the Rams have had in recent years when it comes to a true #1.

And with Fisher's assumed approach to offense I think a true #1 will become all the more important. Now that I think about the Schottenheimer connection though, maybe Plaxico is the most logical choice. With a year under his belt now and knowledge of the Jets/Schottenheimer system, I guess it makes sense. He's a FA, right?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
moklerman said:
Hey CGI, nice to see you over at this site.

I think what the Rams need is a go-to type WR and all the guys being mentioned don't really fit that bill.

I'm glad they didn't go after Colston as I don't think he's very reliable in terms of health any more.

Jackson was pretty much the best choice of what was available but I don't see him as worth the money/risk with the injuries and issues that he's had.

Pretty much everyone else I'm glad they passed on for the money it would have taken to get them and the return that it would have netted. Meachem, Garcon', Manningham, Doucet, etc. just seem like J.A.G.'s to me. Not the #1 WR that the Rams need. Maybe Reggie Wayne would have been good but he just seems like he's getting old even though 33 isn't literally old and he probably wasn't a reasonable option money-wise.

It sure looks like it's draft pick or bust and as much as I've been impressed by Blackmon, I'm not completely comfortable about the Rams relying on a rookie WR to be "the guy". I mean, do the Rams really have much to offer in a potential trade? Sure, they have additional draft picks but can they really afford to offer them?

They're really in a spot now where there is going to be some risk involved in whatever they do. Doe they go after someone like Plaxico, Braylon, Roy....<gulp> T.O.? Honestly, I still can't get the idea of an incentive laden, 1 year deal for T.O. out of my head as an option. Even at 38 he'd be an upgrade over anything the Rams have had in recent years when it comes to a true #1.

And with Fisher's assumed approach to offense I think a true #1 will become all the more important. Now that I think about the Schottenheimer connection though, maybe Plaxico is the most logical choice. With a year under his belt now and knowledge of the Jets/Schottenheimer system, I guess it makes sense. He's a FA, right?

Meachem was JAG in NOLA, but I guess a significant number of scout around the league feel he is primed to emerge as a #1 WR. He got paid based on that potential tho.

Fisher and Snead said they came up short on a few of their FA WR targets but still had a few more they were going to pursue. I will be interested to see who those guys are.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah Vincent Jackson was definitely the no. 1 WR on the market, and I bet some folks would rather have overpayed for him instead of Finnegan. Meachem and Josh Morgan were both intriguing.

What happened to Braylon Edwards? Has a solid season for the Jets in 2010. Goes to SF, gets hurt, I dont know how many games he missed, and im pretty sure they released him before the season ended. I think I would take a chance on him over Plax and TO because he is 29. Its a longshot though, I dont expect that to happen.

Whats the status of Mark Clayton? Is he still under contract? Is he healthy yet?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DeSean Jackson, Wallace unless it's someone out of the blue. Or maybe no one at all. Can't really believe a whole lot this time of year until it's official. Or on PFT.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
OK scratch DeSean off. He just signed a 5 year deal to stay in Philly.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I dunno about Mike Wallace - ain't he a little old? I suppose we know he can at least play a full 60 minutes. :7up:

image502004g.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
I dunno about Mike Wallace - ain't he a little old? I suppose we know he can at least play a full 60 minutes. :7up:

image502004g.jpg
[mp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/rimshot.mp3[/mp3]