Rams looking to rev up pass rush any way possible/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams looking to rev up pass rush any way possible
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-looking-to-rev-up-pass-rush-any-way-possible

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams have just one sack in the first three weeks, and there's nobody more surprised about that than the Rams themselves.

The Rams had more sacks than any team in the NFL in the past two seasons, and the lack of sacks is a growing point of contention for those expecting that to be one area the Rams had squared away entering the season.

During this bye week, the Rams have been open to any and all ways to get the pass rush going, up to and including a little bit of lady luck. Or ladybug luck, as the case may be.

Allow rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald to explain.

"Once you get a couple, they are going to keep coming -- that’s the thing," Donald said. "And we have got the ladybug. The sack curse is gone. The ladybug is supposed to be good luck for a D-line. We don’t have the sack curse no more, so these sacks are supposed to start coming around."

Hanging in Donald's locker is a picture of a ladybug with words about the luck of a ladybug breaking the team's "sack curse." According to Donald, a ladybug landed on defensive end Robert Quinn earlier this week. The next day, another landed on defensive tackle Kendall Langford. Donald picked one up on Wednesday.

While insects aren't going to make much of a difference, it's clear the Rams are unhappy with their production to this point and it's a legitimate concern as they enter the final 13 games.

Entymology aside, the only real way for the Rams to get their pass rush to generate more sacks is to do it themselves. The first and most important step is stopping the run. Through three games, the Rams are 29th in the league in run defense, allowing 155 yards per game on the ground.

The result of that rushing success has been, well, a lot of rushing attempts. The 91 rushing attempts against the Rams is tied for sixth-most in the league, and the average of 5.11 yards per attempt puts the Rams at 29th in that category.

In other words, as long as teams are having success on the ground, they have little reason to throw it. Heading into this week's play, opponents have attempted the fewest number of passes in the league against the Rams (69). Oakland is next on that list with 85.

Combine the rushing success with the knowledge of what the Rams can do rushing the passer, and that's a recipe for pass avoidance.

“Well, it’s a combination of things," coach Jeff Fisher said. "It’s been our, I don’t want to say inability, but at times difficulty that we’ve had stopping the run. We’re creating an opportunity for teams to pick up significant gains on the ground. And if anybody had their preference, they do it that way.”

Teams are also continuing the trend set by Minnesota in the first week of getting rid of the ball as quickly as possible. Minnesota quarterback Matt Cassel averaged 2.24 seconds to throw it in the opener, fourth-fastest in the league that week. In Week 2, Tampa Bay's Josh McCown got rid of the ball in 2.22 seconds, which was eighth-fastest that week.

"It’s very frustrating," end Eugene Sims said. "That’s part of offense, scheming against a defense. Our defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams’ background, everybody knows his mindset of defensive plays. So they try to get the ball out of their hands as quick as they can to slow us down."

The lack of pass rush can't all be pinned on quarterbacks getting the ball out quickly or the struggles against the run, though. The Rams had more opportunities last week against Dallas' Tony Romo and were unable to take advantage when facing one of the league's better offensive lines. Romo took 2.61 seconds before release on his 23 attempts.

Some of the problem was the Cowboys' offensive line doing its job and some of it was a scheme in which the Rams rushed only three down linemen on some third-and-long opportunities. With a big lead, the Rams should have been positioned to rush the passer, but they generated little pressure and no sacks.

"For some reason, it’s just not clicking on game day," Quinn said. "I don’t think it’s anything with guys’ effort or technique, it’s just, for whatever reason, not happening our way. But we have got to keep pushing, but once we finally get that break, I’m sure the sacks will come by the handful."

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I give them credit for not saying that a lot of it has to do with the officials allowing the opposing teams to hold.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I do believe it is a result of teams taking 3 step drops with shorter passes.
Minn barely even threw the ball.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
I believe it's the 3 man front. That's the only thing that's changed. Put the four best DL players out there and start rotating. I'm a believer in if its not broke don't fix it. Well now its broke so reset to the original and go.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I believe it's the 3 man front. That's the only thing that's changed. Put the four best DL players out there and start rotating. I'm a believer in if its not broke don't fix it. Well now its broke so reset to the original and go.
I agree ,that and the poor blitzing when you do,all throughout the pre season we were expecting Ogleetree to get free in "Williamsd Exotic Blitz Packages" but it aint happenin ,Aldon Smith he aint.
Then we lose our second best pass rusher and we still only go with three downs, I'm disappointed in Greg Williams ,he's got more high round draft choices on his side of the ball and Shotty has an UDFA in the most pivotal position on his side and we still hear the drum beat against him, F that ,Davis shouldn't have had to throw those interceptions ,and if your gonna gamble up front your safety should play so deep the Qb can't see him at the snap,Dez Bryant being that open was just so inexcusable maybe for the first time EVER I was embarrassed,I've seen a number of posters use that word over the years and always thought t was alil over thhe top, but that was high school stupid. HOPEFULLY SOMEONE learned something there.

…..

Legend
I'm really trying to not be critical of the great defensive Guru Gregg Williams. He is supposed to be such a genious and creator of pressure with mythical defensive schemes..... but I have seen nothing to indicate any creativity (ie: getting the db's involved in exotic blitzing, using unexpected personell packages)

I'm sorry if my lack of enthusiasm for THIS topic rubs anyone the wrong way, but I'm putting this in the <NO EXCUSES:FAIL> category.

It needs to turn around and quick, I believe it will.

One of our problems just might be that we haven defensive lineman with pictures of Lady Bugs in the locker room instead of a Mack Truck running over a Volkswagon.

RamWoodie

Legend
On this point...I think it's a matter of teams KNOWING the Rams have an excellent DLine...BUT...a young secondary. They gear up for that and they know if the can keep their QB upright they can take their shots at the secondary.

I think Williams will tweak a few things...because for sure, the run defense has to be better. It also doesn't help when things happen like the Dallas game:

*A PHANTOM blow to the head of Romo.

*A PHANTOM holding of the RB on Sims.

Those penalties came at critical times...and as I said earlier, the only satisfaction Fisher will get form the league is a letter saying the officials got it wrong...:(

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm really trying to not be critical of the great defensive Guru Gregg Williams. He is supposed to be such a genious and creator of pressure with mythical defensive schemes..... but I have seen nothing to indicate any creativity (ie: getting the db's involved in exotic blitzing, using unexpected personell packages)

I'm sorry if my lack of enthusiasm for THIS topic rubs anyone the wrong way, but I'm putting this in the <NO EXCUSES:FAIL> category.

It needs to turn around and quick, I believe it will.

One of our problems just might be that we haven defensive lineman with pictures of Lady Bugs in the locker room instead of a Mack Truck running over a Volkswagon.

I agree with all but that last line, IMO Aaron Donald is the brightest light on our defense,he doesn't just play well beyond his experience level WHEN he gets there he does so with a violence I admire.
Philly plays San Fran this week,I expect that to be very physical for Foles after last week, if they get to 4-0 I remind my brethren what AZ's record was when they came into the Ed two years ago . The stars could be aligning for a sack feast and our ascendance to spoiler .

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Heading into this week's play, opponents have attempted the fewest number of passes in the league against the Rams (69). Oakland is next on that list with 85.
This^ shows why, the Rams MUST STOP THE OPPONENTS RUSHING GAME 1st. PERIOD! This opens our passing attach up, and stops opponents scoring potential in it's tracks! JMHO! THEN 'The Storm' will be back in town! And Donald ( ie "The LadyBug!") WILL supply the pressure, leading to TON's of Sacks!

…..

Legend
I agree with all but that last line, IMO Aaron Donald is the brightest light on our defense,he doesn't just play well beyond his experience level WHEN he gets there he does so with a violence I admire.

Fair enough. But I didnt write the story about the Lady Bug. lol

I expected our defence to be physically overpowering and thus far there have been flashes on TFL's, but no dominance whatsoever. To say I am dissapointed (even with the Chris Long absence) would be a huge understament.

I will allow for the ONE excuse that makes sense to me in regards to lack of sacks. The opposing QB's ARE getting the ball out faster. They arent taking chances and gameplan to minimize the impact of our greatest strength. Very few 7 step drops against this defense. Of course, this is where I expect the creative mind of Greegg Williams to step in and put our players in the right places to succeed.

The whole part that we cannot stop the run is just another FAIL, not a good excuse for having no sacks to bring up additional failures. Get it going Gregg!

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I give them credit for not saying that a lot of it has to do with the officials allowing the opposing teams to hold.
They might not want to say it for fear of fines or retaliation from the referees. So I will the non calls on holding and bad calls on some penalties were plain and simple BULLSHIT