Rams looking for more from punt returns/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams looking for more from punt returns
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13879/rams-looking-for-more-from-punt-returns

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Considering that the most exciting play from the St. Louis Rams this season came on a punt return featuring the height of creativity, it might sound strange but after 11 weeks, the Rams are still searching for the type of punt return game they'd hoped could regularly threaten opponents.

Stedman Bailey's 90-yard punt return will surely spin on replays of the best plays of the 2014 season for many years to come. But aside from that entertaining highlight, the Rams and punt returner Tavon Austin have been largely unable to make a dent.

Factoring in Bailey's return, the Rams rank a more than respectable 10th in the league in yards per punt return at 9.86. That average comes from a total of 217 yards on 22 returns. But Austin, who offered plenty of excitement in the role as a rookie, has mostly been stuck running in place when he does attempt a return.

For the season, Austin has 20 returns for 126 yards, an average of 6.3 yards per attempt, with no touchdowns. That represents a decline from 2013 when Austin averaged 8.48 yards per return and had a touchdown against Indianapolis.

Special teams coach John Fassel said the Rams haven't done much different but did note that teams are kicking to Austin a little different from week to week.

"Really we haven't changed anything as far as really our drills in practice," Fassel said. "We've tweaked the scheme just a little bit, just like we normally would. Denver's punter didn't give us a chance because he hit the high short kicks, the rugby type kicks. So, it's a combination of blocking and then getting the right ball. We've got a few of them, but we didn't capitalize. Hopefully, in these next six games we'll get a few chances."

Austin hasn't exactly been flush with opportunities but when he does get them, he has seemed indecisive at times. At others, he seems to get caught running east and west rather than north and south. But Fassel said he has had no problems with how Austin has approached his return chances.

"There's a little bit of strategy based on the type of punter that we're facing, whether he's going to catch-and-go or catch-and-set," Fassel said. "Different things we work on based on the return call and the type of punter we're getting. Yeah, and I'd like to get more out of it, but I'm very optimistic that we're going to get better these next couple weeks."

This week, the Rams face the San Diego Chargers and punter Mike Scifres. Scifres has been one of the most consistent punters in the league for years but has been middle of the pack for most of this season. The Chargers have allowed 18 returns for 162 yards, an average of 9 yards per attempt. But Scifres has 21 punts that haven't been returned this season.

That puts the onus on Austin toe make the right decision, an area Fassel believes is a strength.

"There's certain calls and alignments we'll be in where he knows he's probably going to fair catch it, unless the punter just screams one at him," Fassel said. "We're never telling him, 'Fair catch it or don't fair catch it.' It's really a judgment call that in my opinion he's been very good at making the right decisions."

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I do get tired of the dancing. He just needs to hit see the hole hit the hole and show off his blazing speed. Maybe the fans need to pull a forest gump and bring a bunch of arrows to hold up so he knows which way to go.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yep, I've noticed too much east/west running and not enough north/south running for quite a while.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think the coaches should just tell him to take what's there, and stop trying to break every single play for a TD. Just grab those few yards, and maybe someone will miss, and good things could happen.

Athos

Legend
Literally every PR you see, whether a TD or just a good return, involves no dancing, fancy moves, or other BS Tavon often does.

You pick your seams and follow your blockers when you get the ball. It's that simple. The ST unit on PR could stand to improve, but Austin needs to stop trying to make sportscenter.

V3

Hall of Fame
I find it hard to believe the coaches haven't already told him to stop going east/west.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I find it hard to believe the coaches haven't already told him to stop going east/west.
You have to love these fancy play toy selections that all seem to crave every year @ draft time. So bright & shinny ........:censored:

Give me a big Ugly DL or OL any day with those top first picks. I know punt returns are very complicated plays.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Literally every PR you see, whether a TD or just a good return, involves no dancing, fancy moves, or other BS Tavon often does.

You pick your seams and follow your blockers when you get the ball. It's that simple. The ST unit on PR could stand to improve, but Austin needs to stop trying to make sportscenter.
problem is that I don't see many blockers getting downfield in front of him a lot. he SHOULD have at least one TD we all saw get stollen by the refs. also I don't understand why they give that bullshit camera angle during returns. we have no idea what he sees downfield or why he's dancing. put that fucking sky cam behind Tavon so we can see what's going on. then I'll give him shit if he's dancing for no reason. some of the dancing does have to stop tho.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I remember fans complaining about Jerome Bettis dancing the last year he was in horns. Amazingly, the dancing stopped behind the Steelers' OL...

Blocking is the underrated thing here IMO. Not saying Tavon hasn't made some bad reads or whatever, either. But if you give that guy seams routinely on returns, I think he's gonna bust out a much better return average than we've been seeing.

And yeah, it sucked to see that one called back. But still... Give the dude some consistent north/south seams and let's see what happens.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Keep running him at tailback, he'll get outta that dancing...I thought he was almost about to break loose in Austin Davis' last game....Hopefully he comes around...they say it takes wrs 3 years...

RamzFanz

Damnit
Tavon just needs blocking.

He will never stop dancing because that's how he avoids the big hit and makes people miss.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The problem with TA's dance moves are they seem to be the ones that work in high school and college but don't have much effect on pro defenders. He seems to be most effective once he gets in motion and can change direction and burst. An NFL punt return man has to accept the fact that he is going to get blown up from time to time. TA seems to be reluctant to engage without a clear alley already established. I completely understand though given his small stature staring down a hungry backup LB at full gallop.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Austin's scissor kick move drives me insane! It serves no purpose except to waste time. I have never seen an NFL player fooled by it. At this point it just looks like a bad habit...similar to that hitch SJ always had before hitting the hole. Just Freakin Run!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Did none of you read that article. . . ?

Fassell clearly states that he is instructing Tavon to either catch the ball and go or catch the ball and set himself, observe the field.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Did none of you read that article. . . ?

Fassell clearly states that he is instructing Tavon to either catch the ball and go or catch the ball and set himself, observe the field.
Uh, what other choices are there? Don't catch the ball and fair catch the ball?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Tavon just needs blocking.

He will never stop dancing because that's how he avoids the big hit and makes people miss.
I was going to say. I don't know what most are seeing but he's had no room to go anywhere. He's been dancing trying to figure out why the hell 4 guys are around him and none are teammates.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I was going to say. I don't know what most are seeing but he's had no room to go anywhere. He's been dancing trying to figure out why the hell 4 guys are around him and none are teammates.

It's true. They are almost never there and when they are they are too often watching TA to see where he's going. Last season they started the season like that but then started just turning and blocking. This is a big deal to me because it's just not that hard to fix and field position is huge.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
It's true. They are almost never there and when they are they are too often watching TA to see where he's going. Last season they started the season like that but then started just turning and blocking. This is a big deal to me because it's just not that hard to fix and field position is huge.
Agree 100%

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
"There's a little bit of strategy based on the type of punter that we're facing, whether he's going to catch-and-go or catch-and-set," Fassel said. "Different things we work on based on the return call and the type of punter we're getting.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

He doesn't want teammates around him because it turns a positive return into a -10 yard return after the obligatory block in the back...