Rams look to turn page against Bucs/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams look to turn page against Bucs
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11516/rams-look-to-turn-page-against-bucs

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher's 24-hour rule has long since expired in the aftermath of his team's 34-6 loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

Win or lose, Fisher is like many coaches around the league asking his team to limit stewing from a loss or celebrating a win to the 24 hours immediately after the game. When that window closes, Fisher wants all focus to turn to the next opponent. In this week's case, those 24 hours probably couldn't have gone by fast enough.

The time has passed now and the Rams must now turn their attention to Week 2 opponent Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It's a shift in focus that actually began after the game. Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold offered a passionate response when asked about how the Rams turn it around.

"This is the exact opposite of our expectations, period, point blank," Saffold said. "We’re disappointed in our play. We’re going to try to turn the page and we’re going to try to bring it out next week. I know that sounds political but I know when I say something like that, I’m not playing. These guys put in way too much work for this to end up like this. This team is way too good. I feel sorry for everybody in this room. I know next week, it’s going to be a bloodbath because I know nobody is going to want this s--- to happen again. Period."

In the Buccaneers, the Rams won't catch any easy breaks, especially on the road. Both teams are coming off disappointing performances in their season openers and both are well aware of the implications of what an 0-2 start could mean for the rest of the season. Since the NFL went to the 12-team playoff format in 1990, only about 12 percent of teams starting the season with consecutive losses have gone on to make the playoffs.

Of course, thinking that far ahead should be the furthest thing from any Rams' minds. After the loss to the Vikings, Fisher told his players that one loss, especially in the first week and no matter how bad it was, does not define who they are. But it certainly put the Rams on notice that repeats of that performance are unacceptable.

“It definitely won’t define us like coach said, but I think it’s a wake call to a lot of guys," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "If anything it should humble us and put us back to work. Go back and are you doing everything in practice, are you doing everything in the film room, are you preparing the best you can?”

The Bucs, meanwhile, are coming off a 20-14 home loss to a Carolina team starting a backup quarterback. One way or another, they'll face a similar scenario this week with the Rams. St. Louis has beaten Tampa Bay in each of the past two seasons, including a win in Tampa Bay in 2012.

One game does not a season make but if the next verse is anything like the first, it could turn into something much worse.