Rams look to simplify offense with Frank Cignetti/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I just dont get it. Schotty ran such a bland, predictable, offense overall. Usually he started the game good then fizzled out barring a spark or two. And if the game was close at half time then he threw in the hat in the third quarter only to play desperate, or keep on running the ball into the teeth of the D with no passing game established.

But hey, very young team without a starting QB and not even an average OL just wreaks of failure. Wasn't all him, but he didn't give them a chance either. The guy needed to go and shipping off Sam ended my reasons to keep him.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I just dont get it. Schotty ran such a bland, predictable, offense overall. Usually he started the game good then fizzled out barring a spark or two. And if the game was close at half time then he threw in the hat in the third quarter only to play desperate, or keep on running the ball into the teeth of the D with no passing game established.

But hey, very young team without a starting QB and not even an average OL just wreaks of failure. Wasn't all him, but he didn't give them a chance either. The guy needed to go and shipping off Sam ended my reasons to keep him.

It's not the game plan they want to simplify - it's the playbook in general

They just have too many instances where guys aren't on the same page. Guys are struggling to keep up with the level of detail required.

As someone else said - the defense could do a bit of the same.

How many miscommunication TDs did we see last year?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

His gameplan revolved around the running game and O-line effectiveness. When one of those facets breakdown, the offense turns anemic. Hopefully Cignetti has enough common sense to mitigate weaknesses around our offense.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
His gameplan revolved around the running game and O-line effectiveness. When one of those facets breakdown, the offense turns anemic. Hopefully Cignetti has enough common sense to mitigate weaknesses around our offense.

Hope fully we simply addressed the gaping needs to the offense. Gurley and earth movers could make Fisher look like a genius.
It's not the game plan they want to simplify - it's the playbook in general

They just have too many instances where guys aren't on the same page. Guys are struggling to keep up with the level of detail required.

As someone else said - the defense could do a bit of the same.

How many miscommunication TDs did we see last year?

Terribly frustrating with all the break downs. That's very true. Maybe that's why we had so many penalties, too. Guys panicing grabbing because they're thinking too much. That does make sense. It does make you wonder why this is an issue, though. The teacher and/or student factor does cross the mind. Surely our guys aren't too dumb to pick it up. I will say this, ground and pound then a boot leg/PA fake is about as simple as it gets.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Hope fully we simply addressed the gaping needs to the offense. Gurley and earth movers could make Fisher look like a genius.

Terribly frustrating with all the break downs. That's very true. Maybe that's why we had so many penalties, too. Guys panicing grabbing because they're thinking too much. That does make sense. It does make you wonder why this is an issue, though. The teacher and/or student factor does cross the mind. Surely our guys aren't too dumb to pick it up. I will say this, ground and pound then a boot leg/PA fake is about as simple as it gets.

There were just too many young players on an O that complicated. They were thinking instead of playing. How many times did we get illegal formation penalties? You rarely ever see other teams get them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Frank Cignetti because he's not Brian Schottenheimer, but he comes with plenty of experience and he's worked under Head Coaches with various philosophies in Pat Hill, Butch Davis, Jeff Tedford & Dave Wannstedt to post a few.

First time for Cig as an OC at the NFL level and with the addition of QB Coach Chris Weinke and add in additional responsibilities for Rob Boras and I feel the change will be refreshing.

Rams will pound the rock and do quite a bit of play action the key will be not turning the ball over and capitalizing when the opportunity presents itself with a big play. Also Schottenheimer always seem to struggle with half time adjustments and was not good on the fly I look for the triumvirate of Cignetti, Boras & Weinke to be working in unison and that can only improve an offense that has toiled in the bottom tier of the NFL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A rookie OC doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but the atmosphere was ripe for a change at coordinator.

Here's hoping Cigs can keep the opposing team guessing.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A rookie OC doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but the atmosphere was ripe for a change at coordinator.

Here's hoping Cigs can keep the opposing team guessing.
I keep coming back to the same thought... regardless of who the OC is, will Fisher give him the autonomy to make the offense his own?

Especially if they struggle in the beginning...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Didn't he script the first 15 plays ofr something like that? I have a feeling he could plan pretty good for those plays but was not good at making adjustments after that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First time for Cig as an OC at the NFL level and with the addition of QB Coach Chris Weinke and add in additional responsibilities for Rob Boras and I feel the change will be refreshing.
Only time will tell! We have to be patient, again, and take a wait and see attitude! I believe your right!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't he script the first 15 plays ofr something like that? I have a feeling he could plan pretty good for those plays but was not good at making adjustments after that.
I've made that observation multiple times (that they did well when running the scripted plays, for the most part).

It was the adjustment part that seemed to be the issue.

Alan

Legend
Rmfnlt wondering if things will really change:
I keep coming back to the same thought... regardless of who the OC is, will Fisher give him the autonomy to make the offense his own?

Especially if they struggle in the beginning...
Wondering the same thing myself. Fish seems to have a hair trigger when anything is tried that's out of his comfort zone.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wondering the same thing myself. Fish seems to have a hair trigger when anything is tried that's out of his comfort zone.
Fisher is a powerful personality.

I'll stop short of calling him a control freak, but it's clear to me who runs the show.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can limit the possibilities if Fisher is one dimensional.

I hope it's a committee approach (Fisher, Cignetti and Weinke). And I hope they stick with whatever plan they come up with (give it a real shot)

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Fisher is a powerful personality.

I'll stop short of calling him a control freak, but it's clear to me who runs the show.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can limit the possibilities if Fisher is one dimensional.

I hope it's a committee approach (Fisher, Cignetti and Weinke). And I hope they stick with whatever plan they come up with (give it a real shot)
I think ... that if Cig tries something and it works, then he will allow it to continue but not get too crazy with it. If it doesn't work, then he reigns back in and wants to play fundamentally sound football.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have gotten to the point that I don't believe much of anything that comes out of a coaches mouth other than maybe a post game evaluation.

Whatever happened with Schotty is over time to move on and I really don't care to place blame or rehash that period of Rams football. I didn't work well for a lot of reasons.

Bring on Cig and crew and a fresh start with some new talent and lets hope they can be good enough to put this team over the .500 mark this year.

Run the ball, protect the QB don't turn it over. Play great defense. That seems simple enough?

Memphis Ram

Legend
When Fisher came aboard he stated his beliefs on offense and I've been waiting for the team to run with that gameplan. Finally that day is here.