Rams Look Like Eight-Win Team as Opener Approaches/Wheeler

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Look Like Eight-Win Team as Opener Approaches
By Kevin Wheeler-- 101ESPN

http://www.101sports.com/2014/08/29/rams-regular-season-opener-kicks-fall-madness-sports/

The Rams open on Sunday, Sept. 7, against Minnesota, and that’s probably a good matchup for them to open the season. Both teams have plenty of questions to answer coming out of the 2013 season.

Even before Sam Bradford went down for the year in Week 3 of the preseason, St. Louis had a question mark next to the QB position. Now, well, maybe it’s two or three question marks next to the QB position. Shaun Hill is widely viewed as one of the more solid backup QB options in the NFL, but there’s a difference between being a solid backup and a 16-game starter. Hill is experienced; he did pretty well between 2008-10, when he had his most extensive shots at playing time. But he’s hardly played the last three seasons, so it’s natural to have doubts about him as a starter.

Most of the Rams’ team seems to be in pretty good shape. The running backs look solid, the receivers finally seem to have taken a step forward (though they still have to prove it in the regular season), the offensive line is experienced and talented (if healthy, which is a legitimate concern), the linebackers seem poised to become an even more impactful group in 2014, and the defensive line is arguably the best in the NFL.

The secondary and the quarterback positions are the biggest question marks, and the season will be determined by the performance of those two units.

Before Bradford’s injury, I was really leaning toward thinking that this was a nine-win team with a one- or two-game swing possible on either side of that (depending on health and on whether or not Bradford could have a “career year”). I’ll make my official picks on Thursday or Friday of Week 1, but right now, I’m leaning toward calling an eight-win season for the Rams. I’m not sure if that’s overly optimistic or not (and I might change my mind over the next week), but I think they have a puncher’s chance in most weeks because of the defense. If they can turn some of Gregg Williams’ pressure-packed plays into turnovers, or even defensive scores, then I think eight or nine wins is a reasonable expectation. If not, you’re probably looking at another seven-win season.

Here’s how I come to the eight-win feeling right now: They went 7-9 last season (and 4-5 with Kellen Clemens starting), and I think Hill will outperform Clemens for sure. Plus, other units are better than they were in 2013. I’d count the offensive line, the receiving corps and the linebackers being better than they were in 2013. So if Hill can be better than Clemens (and I believe he will be), and those other units improve as I expect them to, then you could still see a slight uptick from 2013.

That said, the margin for error is smaller now. One or two more key injuries could put the Rams back in the five-six-win range. With reasonably good health (nobody in the NFL stays “healthy” all season), I think the Rams’ range is six-nine wins this season. It would be six with injuries and/or setbacks from certain players, and it would be nine if everything goes well.

I’m not totally set on that, still have some thinking to do, but that’s where I am today…

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Might as well not even play the season then. When does the draft start? Should be picking 16th. Time to start scouting I guess.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I've said before. ;)... I think we finish 10-6 but lose some games we should win..... just my opinion. ... go rams.... ;)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I watch every Rams game because I love the game.
Looking forward to next Sunday.

209RamsFan

Any given sunday....like Chris Berman says "that's why you play the games". .....most other teams are ALSO 1 injury away from being in trouble..it can happen to anyone

ramsrams

UDFA
So dude predicted between 6-9 wins, but he's still unsure about that 10 days prior to the season. Let's say that fence sitting is worth 2 games. Makes it anywhere from 4-11.

I'm enlightened.

Did he get paid for that?

Is that enough for Fisher to keep his job? I'm torn, it's decidedly mediocre and I'd begin to question his ability to get us anything better. But still it's an improvement on 7-9. I'd probably give him another year to go get a QB and see what happens, but if an elite coach was available for whatever reason I'd be tempted.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I think we go 8-8 also.. look as much as I want to be positive, losing Sam is a big blow this year..
Let's be aggressive in the draft and snag our preferred QB. Not many QB's will get a starting job where the team is already very very good so he should have a much easier time in his rookie year

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It all depends on our defense. Our offense is as big of a question mark as last year, now. I don't think that bolds well for us.