Rams look for more late-round knockouts in NFL draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Rams look for more late-round knockouts in NFL draft​

When a team goes into an NFL draft with no early picks, it’s encouraging to know Super Bowl-caliber players can be found in any round.

The Rams know, because their Super Bowl-winning team last season featured starters from every round.

General Manager Les Snead might be more famous for trading first- and second-round draft picks for established stars, as he did last year for quarterback Matthew Stafford and outside linebacker Von Miller.

But the other hallmark of the success that Snead, Coach Sean McVay and their brain trust have enjoyed at deploying draft picks is their knack for finding useful players in the middle to late rounds.

The Rams were rare, though not unique, in how much they counted on unheralded players to win a Super Bowl.

“There’s so many different guys that contributed. That’s where you take a lot of pride,” McVay said Wednesday as he and Snead held a pre-draft virtual press conference.

The three-day NFL draft, in Las Vegas this year, begins Thursday. The Rams, based at the team’s rented “draft house” in the Hollywood Hills, aren’t scheduled to make their first pick until the third round on Friday, with the 104th overall pick. Then they’ve stockpiled seven more picks in rounds 4 through 7, ending with the 253rd.

In the past they’ve found pearls at every level of the draft, as a look at key Rams starters in the 2021 regular season and postseason shows:

Round 1: Defensive tackle Aaron Donald. The Rams drafted him 13th overall in 2014. He was underrated.

Round 2: Running back Cam Akers (52nd overall, 2020), wide receiver Van Jefferson (57th, 2020) and right tackle Rob Havenstein (57th, 2015) all started in the Super Bowl, and safety Taylor Rapp (61st, 2019) started all 17 regular-season games before getting hurt in the playoffs.

Round 3: Wide receiver Cooper Kupp (69th, 2017) and running back Darrell Henderson (70th, 2019). Also linebacker Ernest Jones (103rd, 2021) and cornerback David Long (79th, 2019); both made their first postseason starts in the Super Bowl.

Round 4: Tight end Tyler Higbee (110th, 2016), center Brian Allen (111th, 2018) and nose tackle Greg Gaines (134th, 2019).

Round 5: Left guard David Edwards (169th, 2019).

Round 6: Safety Jordan Fuller (199th, 2020) was a defensive leader and nose tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day (195th, 2018) was having a solid year when injuries curtailed their 2021 season.

Round 7: After Fuller’s injury, safety Nick Scott (243rd, 2019) was trusted to play 100% of defensive snaps in the playoffs. Linebacker Travin Howard (231st, 2018) made the NFC championship game-clinching interception against the San Francisco 49ers.

There have been plenty of picks, in almost every round, that didn’t work out as well as hoped in Snead’s 10 years as GM and McVay’s five years as coach. They picked Greg Robinson ahead of Donald. The wisdom of Tutu Atwell in the second round a year ago has yet to be demonstrated.

But finding postseason stars in the seventh round makes up for a lot of mistakes.

McVay said the secret is looking for draft prospects who can fill specific roles for the Rams.

“I think the key is identifying guys that we have a vision for, that fit within our culture but also fit for some of the voids that we might have or areas of need,” McVay said. “There’s certain players that all 32 teams would agree that this is an elite fit. But (for the rest it’s) being able to have a vision, as you get later, identifying certain traits and characteristics that fit within the framework of how you envision utilizing them and helping them reach their highest potential.

“In a lot of those situations, you’re betting on the human being, looking at the history and the way they’re wired and their background and some of the things they bring to the table.”

Snead said effectively scouting for traits that fit what the Rams need is only the first step.

“It’s one thing to identify (players). It’s another thing to acquire. It’s another thing to develop,” Snead said. “I give Sean and his staff credit.”

Rams draftees aren’t often pressed into starting roles as rookies, but they can move up quickly.

“They’ve actually determined that they’re going to rely on players in key roles who are in their rookie contracts,” Snead said of the coaches, “and that’s maybe the hardest part of that equation.”

The Rams don’t pigeonhole prospects and selections by their draft round, Snead said.

“When Sean and his staff is penciling in the 48-man roster, draft round is never mentioned,” the GM said. “What we try to do in draft prep is, with each player, what specific role can they fill? What can they do to help the Rams in 2022, and then what might they be able to do in years beyond that?”

A year ago, defensive coordinator Raheem Morris introduced the Rams’ front office to the concept of “pool-party grade” prospects – players worthy of celebration if the Rams snagged them. They started drafting in 2021 with the 57th overall pick, and they start in 2022 with the 104th. But Snead said a party is still possible.

“The phrase is definitely still alive and well in the draft room. Now, maybe the pool’s a little shallower. Maybe we shouldn’t dive into it,” Snead said. “(But) I think this is a relatively deep draft.

“As the draft (proceeds), there’s going to maybe be players of less talent, but there’s still players who might have specific skill sets that can contribute and fill a role and develop into something.”

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Without a pick until third round, champion Rams shoot for another Hollywood ending​

The star-studded Super Bowl champion Rams are basking in their Hollywood image.

On Tuesday, ahead of Thursday’s NFL draft in Las Vegas, the team released a slickly produced pseudo movie trailer entitled “On the Clock.” The three-minute video featured several Rams players, and actors playing owner Stan Kroenke, general manager Les Snead, coach Sean McVay and defensive coordinator Raheem Morris.

“Les and I both felt pretty good about it,” McVay said during a videoconference with reporters, “and I know Raheem Morris certainly feels really good that Tyrese Gibson played him.

“So, he’s been walking around with his chest out all day.”

The Rams won’t have marquee billing in the draft — they are without a first-round pick for the sixth year in a row — but they will continue their Hollywood theme by conducting business and making their picks from a palatial Hollywood Hills home.

Last year, the Rams conducted the draft from a house in Malibu. Snead remained at his home because of a COVID-19 issue.

So, McVay is looking forward to being together on site.

“It’s a great set-up — I mean you look at just the setting, the views, the house, it’s incredible,” McVay said. “For us, the most important thing is the functionality. ... I’ll be glad that Les and I are in person together since he, hopefully, knock on wood won’t catch COVID.”

Unless they make a move to trade up — “Always a possibility,” Snead said — the Rams will not pick until the end of the third round, with pick No. 104. They have eight picks, including one in the fourth and fifth rounds, three in the sixth round and two in the seventh.

“The key is identifying guys that we have a vision for that fit within out culture, but also fit for some of the voids we might have, the areas of need,” McVay said.

With Von Miller having left to sign a massive contract with the Buffalo Bills, and Obo Okoronkwo signing with the Houston Texans, the Rams are expected to explore selecting an outside linebacker. Leonard Floyd starts on one side, with Justin Hollins, Terrell Lewis and Chris Garrett competing for a spot opposite Floyd.

“We love people who can rush the passer,” Snead said when asked about interest in drafting an edge rusher. “They key is: Will there be any on the board when we go to pick?”

Said McVay: “That’s the question.”

The Rams also are expected to consider selecting defensive backs. Star cornerback Jalen Ramsey leads a secondary that also includes cornerbacks David Long and Robert Rochell, and safeties Jordan Fuller, Taylor Rapp, Nick Scott and Terrell Burgess.

The Rams will consider other positions as well.

And though they are without first- and second-round picks, the Rams could move to acquire more late-round picks. Snead has never shied from trading back to do just that.

“We’re going to come away some players that we expect to help us a lot sooner than later,” McVay said.

Barring a trade to move up, the Rams will not be on the clock until late Friday night. They will be busy on Saturday, when rounds four through seven are conducted.

Last year, after selecting receiver Tutu Atwell in the second round, the Rams drafted linebacker Ernest Jones in the third round, defensive lineman Bobby Brown, Rochell and tight end Jacob Harris in the fourth, defensive lineman Earnest Brown IV in the fifth and running back Jake Funk, receiver Ben Skowronek and Garrett in the seventh.

This week, the Rams’ draft decisions will be “unfolding in the moment,” McVay said.

“Les gets real frenetic, in a good way, as the clock starts ticking down,” McVay joked, “and it’s fun for us.”

This will be the 11th draft Snead has overseen since he was hired in 2012.

“Les is the basket case now,” McVay said, “and I’m the basket case during the season.”

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams have options to increase the number of draft picks, although trades appear the only way to make it happen. We may see Les move up and down at various spots, it should be fun to observe.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
My fear is we watch Thursday night just to see the potential busts. Then we hang in there Friday night and right before we make our choice Les trades with his old buddies in Atlanta and we have to wait until Saturday!!!

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
My fear is we watch Thursday night just to see the potential busts. Then we hang in there Friday night and right before we make our choice Les trades with his old buddies in Atlanta and we have to wait until Saturday!!!
I have the same fear. You can be almost assured that he will do it to us all.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams have options to increase the number of draft picks, although trades appear the only way to make it happen. We may see Les move up and down at various spots, it should be fun to observe.
It’s become more fun for me to observe from a distance and just check my phone now and then while I do other things. My days of watching the draft after the first round are past. I can’t believe I ever spent that much time on it.