Rams-Lions Preview + Predictions from 9 dudes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracke ... ns-preview

The Detroit Lions' decade of losing football ended last season.

It remains to be seen if new coach Jeff Fisher can help the St. Louis Rams end their string of sub-.500 campaigns.

Looking to build off its first playoff appearance since 1999, Detroit opens its season with high expectations Sunday when the visiting Rams try to rebound from another last-place finish.

After going 2-14 and 6-10 following their winless 2008, the Lions finished 10-6 in 2011. A 45-28 wild-card loss to New Orleans was a tough way to end the year, but Detroit is finally enjoying some stability as it enters the fourth season with the same head coach, coordinators and general manager, Martin Mayhew.

"There's been continuity in the schemes," said coach Jim Schwartz, Fisher's former defensive coordinator in Tennessee. "It allows the scouting department to have continuity in the way that we scout, which allows our players to be productive."

Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson expect to remain one of the most prolific combinations in the league. Stafford, who hurt his non-throwing hand in Week 3 of the preseason, threw for 5,038 yards and 41 touchdowns last season after missing 13 games in 2010 with a right shoulder injury, while Johnson led the NFL with 1,681 receiving yards and hauled in 16 TDs.

"We're not the pushover Lions," said center Dominic Raiola. "We've got the best player in the league."

Johnson could definitely be that - he's paid like it after signing an eight-year deal this offseason that could be worth up to $132 million - but the All-Pro wide receiver knows the Lions need contributions from wide receivers Nate Burleson, Titus Young and rookie Ryan Broyles and tight end Brandon Pettigrew.

"We feel that if we don't go, the offense doesn't go," Johnson said. "We put it on our shoulders already."

That's perhaps because two of the Lions' best running backs - Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure - are sidelined. Best will miss at least the first six weeks with lingering concussion issues, while Leshoure has been suspended for the first two games for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

The Lions ranked 29th in the NFL in rushing last year with 95.2 yards per game.

"Are we better with Leshoure and Best? Definitely," said Keiland Williams, who could share the bulk of the carries with Kevin Smith. "But we have guys who can step up and get the job done."

Even though he's taking over a team that finished 2-14 last year and is 15-65 during five straight losing seasons, Fisher also enters 2012 with confidence.

"I think we're in a good spot right now," said Fisher, who was out of coaching last season following 17 years with the Titans organization. "... I think this is a team that's going to be fun to watch."

The Rams would like to see starting quarterback Sam Bradford under center for all 16 games after he missed six last season with a high left ankle sprain. After giving up a league-high 55 sacks last season, St. Louis made a move to bolster its offensive line by signing Pro Bowl center Scott Wells, who is returning from knee surgery.

"He understands things, learned the offense very quickly, makes all the calls and makes them correctly all the time," Fisher said. "He anticipates things and he works very closely with the quarterback as he did up there in Green Bay."

The Rams probably won't put up the same numbers as the Packers, but they can't get much worse after averaging a league-worst 12.1 points in 2011.

Bradford, like Stafford a former No. 1 overall draft pick, could have the offense heading in the right direction after throwing five TDs with no interceptions in the preseason.

"I think we're moving into the regular season in a very nice way," Bradford said.

The Rams don't have a legitimate No. 1 wide receiver, but they do have running back Steven Jackson, who is targeting an eighth straight 1,000-yard season.

The Lions weren't particularly strong against the run in 2011 - allowing 128.1 yards per game - but their front four led by Ndamukong Suh could be one of the strongest in the NFL.

Detroit also returns a solid group of linebackers, but the secondary remains a concern after the team's last two opponents last season threw for a combined 946 yards and nine TDs. Rookie cornerback Bill Bentley had a solid preseason and could make a major impact.

Bentley's friend, St. Louis corner Janoris Jenkins, should get an immediate challenge in his NFL debut Sunday along with fellow rookie cornerback Trumaine Johnson. The Rams' retooled secondary also includes Cortland Finnegan, who played five seasons for Fisher in Tennessee.

"There's just a new breath of fresh air here," Finnegan said. "Maybe that's what they've needed all along. There are so many guys, free-agent guys that came that are a big part of that, that definitely are going to help try and rebuild and turn around this program."

In their last game versus St. Louis, the Lions, without an injured Stafford, won 44-6 at home Oct. 10, 2010.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I love it! Pick against my team! Shock y'all!

6a00d8341c630a53ef016301c6d9a8970d-600wi

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I've arranged for the lionsto attempt tohave Tuna as their pre-game meal

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFSwqsnsF8g[/youtube]

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
iBruce said:
I'm scared of Megatron.

We have the Madden Curse to help us out. :mrgreen:

That is the only positive thing I can think of haha.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It's going to be a legitimately good game. That Lions secondary isn't fooling anyone. Maybe Delmas will play? Chris Houston might play dinged up? I mean, I'd gladly throw against a freshly signed Drayton Florence. I think Fairley has dodged suspension after two weed arrests, so that's cool. The front four will be tough, but let's face it, the Ravens 2nd/3rd string has to be as good as the Lions beat up starting defense, amiright?!
Megatron will get his, that's fine, don't think anyone will stop that from happening all year. There is no real running game there though, and I'm thinking 'Ol Fish is going to dial up that heat all game long.
I said earlier this year, I just want to see the Rams score some facking points in opening week, and I'm not afraid to predict they'll do it: Good guys 20, Kitties 17.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And THAT is why they play the games. Rams 27 - Felines 20

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Iron Lion said:
Rams 0
Lions 38

If THAT prediction comes true ,you'd best not come round heah struttin' just sayin'.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nah - he can brag all he wants. After all Detroit was in the Superbowl a few years ago.... er was it that the Superbowl was in Detroit. Oh well... close enough for Detroit.

Iron Lion

Starter
If the Lions win, whether by a wide margin or slim one, I don't see why I'd come in here and brag about it because you're not all being idiots like the 49ers fans... I @#$@ hate those idiots I got into it with them not too long ago.

I mean literally the stupidity was up to a boiling point, saying things like "I wouldn't trade Alex Smith for Stafford" or "I wouldn't take Eli for Alex Smith" ... yeah really, and I'd take my Lions D over the 49ers D.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Iron Lion said:
If the Lions win, whether by a wide margin or slim one, I don't see why I'd come in here and brag about it because you're not all being idiots like the 49ers fans... I @#$@ hate those idiots I got into it with them not too long ago.

I mean literally the stupidity was up to a boiling point, saying things like "I wouldn't trade Alex Smith for Stafford" or "I wouldn't take Eli for Alex Smith" ... yeah really, and I'd take my Lions D over the 49ers D.

Well you would probably find that over on the St Louis Post Dispatch site but not here. I think most of us would probably just flick shit back at you if you came back to brag - though I don't know why you'd do it after losing. But that's your cross to bear. :7up:

Iron Lion

Starter
Well another reason is, I mean, I'm probably going to stick around the whole year and possibly longer.

My dad is as I've said a Rams fan, so in the past whenever both our games were on at the same time we'd watch our own games on separate TVs. But recently we bought a huge 1080p etc TV, got Sunday Ticket HD, all of that stuff, so I will watch all games on that TV. Therefore I will end up watching every Rams game in depth (the 3-hour broadcast instead of plowing through it on ShortCuts).

And thus the dreaded Lions Fan's Perspective will continue to bloom and blossom over the fall and winter :p

And before anyone asks, we have a system so that the scores of other games won't be ruined before they're seen.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Iron Lion said:

Well first of all, I wuz mostly kidding, and the reason you've been well received IMO is cuz you haven't "been an idiot" and come in here trolling for a fight.

I have adopted a course of action with other teams boards learned the hard way.
I eschew posting politics on two of the three Rams boards I frequent,the third and the acrimony there from political tiffs is why.
ALL MY true enemies on that board are from the deep divisions of politics which aren't going to evaporate so I do post politics there ( nothing to lose) but not here.
Other teams boards I post in the political forums cuz I don't worry too much if the fur flies.

All that said , rubbing it in after that bad a loss would be bad form,glad to hear you see it that way as well.

ON THE OTHER HAND if we beat you 38-0................remember that number , 38 ,is how many losses we've endured over the last three years ,so if you believe in numerology, understand it may trigger some irrational exuberance. :shifty: