Rams lineman: 'We're going to make it easier' on Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...n-were-going-to-make-it-easier-on-todd-gurley

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- It's easy to say the Los Angeles Rams' offensive line needs to do a better job of creating holes for running back Todd Gurley. But it's almost impossible to block two men at once. And when defenses are stacking eight or nine players in the box to specifically guard against the run, there is only so much five offensive linemen can do.

"But," Rams left guard Rodger Saffold said, "there are some ways that we can do a little bit better job of opening some lanes for him. The biggest thing is knowing how to protect against all the different blitzes, the nine-man fronts, to be able to open some lanes. Basically he'll continue to see those things and he'll gain the experience and learn, just vision-wise. 'Hey, this looks good. But there's somebody standing in that hole. I may have to squeeze it through here, pop out the other side.' Those type of things.

"It's a group effort. Our entire team, we have to do a better job of blocking. Our receivers have to dig people out. And then we just have to be able to read and put ourselves in the best situation. I think the coaches are starting to do that for us. We're putting ourselves in some better situations so we can open up some holes for Todd."

That is priority Nos. 1, 2 and 3 for the Rams' offense right now, because nothing will really happen until Gurley gets going.

The Rams' star running back has amassed only 98 yards on 36 carries through the first two weeks, a 28-0 loss to the San Francisco 49ers and a 9-3 win over the Seattle Seahawks. His 2.7 yards per carry rank 38th out of 44 qualified running backs. And his average of 0.89 yards before first contact is the third-lowest rate in the NFL, a clear indication that opposing defenses are penetrating the line of scrimmage to suffocate Gurley.

This type of treatment took Saffold back to his first three years with the Rams, from 2010-12, when Steven Jackson was the primary ball-carrier.

Defenses were stacking up to nine men in the box. And when the Rams would run sets with two tight ends -- something the current offense does frequently -- Saffold said "it was very hard to find a lane because everything became a mob of flesh." But Jackson had the ability to quickly see the field, make a defender miss and bounce it to the outside for significant yardage.

"He has the same ability," Saffold said of Gurley. "But we need to make sure that we're cleaner, so that when he makes that first guy miss, we don't have two and three more guys coming after him."

Gurley has already made the Pro Bowl and was the third-leading rusher in 2015. But he's barely 22, with only 14 full games of NFL experience. He's still getting a feel for game speed at this level, still developing his decision-making ability with the ball in his hands.

"We need to make sure that we understand this -- he's still a second-year player," Saffold said. "He's still going to have to continue to learn. But that's not on his shoulders. We'll never put that on his shoulders. We put that on ours. So we're going to make it easier for him to be successful.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"Open Letter to Saffold and the Rest of the O-Line! This^ all sounds Good Sooooo ...
do it!.gif
!!"

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Starting the same OL all during Pre-season and then changing it when the regular season starts didn't help either. Only GRob and Barnes didn't get moved when the season started.. They knew Hav was coming back at some point, and Saffold was going to play LG and Wichmann RG, so why didn't they start them there from day one? They could have started Donnal at RT and when Havenstien came back only one OL position would have been affected. But no, they move Saffold from RT to LG, and Wichmann from LG to RG while adding Havenstien to RT, changing three of the five OL positions.
This coaching staff gives no regard to continuity, and act surprised when they make changes and it doesn't work.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
This is good news because it's the run game that opens up the passing game and shin bone is attached to the ankle bone and the....
enough with the "we're going to" Just do it and shadup already! Win Babyeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This coaching staff gives no regard to continuity, and act surprised when they make changes and it doesn't work.

You play your best 5 offensive linemen regardless of position so in preseason they felt that Saffold was better at RT then Donnal and then Wichmann & Brown, that's how the rotation goes.

However I concur about continuity, but I feel they like Saffold at LG because he's left handed and prefers the left side although always seemed to be superior at RG. Wichmann is a better pass blocker then Brown who run blocks better. Tough call, however, they have had the same OL in tact for two games and barring injury, they should be close to breaking some long runs IMHO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The biggest thing is knowing how to protect against all the different blitzes, the nine-man fronts, to be able to open some lanes. Basically he'll continue to see those things and he'll gain the experience and learn, just vision-wise.
Good read...But Boni, we all should know, there is virtually nothing you can do to be successful against 9 men stacked in the box EXCEPT throw the damn ball over their heads....It aint happening...Case has got to loosen up the box with accurate throws downfield...THEN guys will back the fuck up, and give Gurley some breathing room....I liked Boras' game plan vs the Hawks...He started out throwing...Keenum was more or less very inaccurate after the first few plays...and there was 2 drops...one by Britt on 3rd down...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Our QB can connect with short to middle range passes to Cooper & Spruce on a regular basis it is sure to free up some space for Todd. Case must be on target & hot handed in the deep humid hot Raymond James Stadium. But a trio of receivers TA, Quick, Higbee all have a big case of the drops & Spruce, Cooper & a little Hemingway may be the cure.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Starting the same OL all during Pre-season and then changing it when the regular season starts didn't help either. Only GRob and Barnes didn't get moved when the season started.. They knew Hav was coming back at some point, and Saffold was going to play LG and Wichmann RG, so why didn't they start them there from day one? They could have started Donnal at RT and when Havenstien came back only one OL position would have been affected. But no, they move Saffold from RT to LG, and Wichmann from LG to RG while adding Havenstien to RT, changing three of the five OL positions.
I agree!!! This is one of the stupidest things I can imagine a professional head coach allowing an assistant to do. I have coached football a bit, I can't think of any worse to do. EVERYONE knows chemistry is as important as talent....With all the 3 yeard passes in the pre season Donnal couldn't have screwed much up.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I would pass every single play until the bucs have 7 in the box. If Case can't make them pay for loading it up then put goff in and run the same gameplan. FORCE THE DEFENSE OUT OF LOADING THE BOX. If our qbs can't take advantage of an 8 or 9 men box, then we either have the wrong qbs, wrong OC, or combo of both.

Athos

Legend
That's a nice thought but there's absolutely nothing a line can do when they're outnumbered. Just nothing. They aren't DAL. And even then, it's a loaded box.

The only one who can it easier on Todd is a competent QB to burn teams for loaded the box and committing to stopping the run.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
What I don't get is that if the Defense is crowding the line with nine guys, why didn't the coach send in two extra Offensive Linemen to counter loading the box instead of the two TEs?

Bruce2980

Starter
I would pass every single play until the bucs have 7 in the box. If Case can't make them pay for loading it up then put goff in and run the same gameplan. FORCE THE DEFENSE OUT OF LOADING THE BOX. If our qbs can't take advantage of an 8 or 9 men box, then we either have the wrong qbs, wrong OC, or combo of both.
No defense is going to get out of an 8 or 9 man in the box because Keenum can't make them pay for it with a TD pass and because Keenum stinks when he is being blitzed and or while under pressure. So nothing will change until he either becomes a HOF QB or we put in Goff, whom has been good in college against the blitz and can burn a defense with accurate downfield throws for TDs. Throwing short and intermediate passes doesn't work either. Screens don't work when defenses have no fear of getting burned deep. All they have to do is stack the box and blitz, while looking for screen plays. It's that easy. Keenum's girly boy arm and his response to perceived and real pressure are the reasons defenses are stuffing 8 and 9 men in the box and conveniently they can stuff the run at the same time.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
That's a nice thought but there's absolutely nothing a line can do when they're outnumbered. Just nothing. They aren't DAL. And even then, it's a loaded box.

The only one who can it easier on Todd is a competent QB to burn teams for loaded the box and committing to stopping the run.

And a competent OC. ;)

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
On the first 2 or 3 series, I would love to see goff in there throwing 15 plus yards down the field on EVERY play until they punt or get in the red zone.

Unorthodox, sure, but you'd see a tired secondary behind a 7 man front by the 4th series. We have Hekker and the d so even if you went 3 and out 3 times, the rams would probably be in good shape but more importantly, they'd be showing the defense that they better back off loading the box. I would bet the rams score on one of those drives, forcing the bucs into a whole defensive gameplan adjustment.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
If Our QB can connect with short to middle range passes to Cooper & Spruce on a regular basis.
This is easy to resolve. Against an eight-nine man box, run TA on slants behind line backers and in front of the deep safety. Not sure why this play hasn't been called yet. LBs close to line make it that much easier, drop TE and Gurley into protection.

TA had a touchdown on a similar completion a couple years ago against the Colts. U need to dial this up Boras and it will back the LBs off the line and give Todd and Benny those ready 5-10 yd gains Fisher loves so much.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They need to get:

a QB that can throw deep

a receiver that can get deep quickly

a shotgun for each lineman

an OC that can figure out how to loosen up the D.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
From what I have seen, the Rams have been best when utilizing play action. I know that conventional wisdom says you need a consistently good running game for PA to work. I say you only need the threat of a good running game. Loosen em up Case....

jap

Legend
This is easy to resolve. Against an eight-nine man box, run TA on slants behind line backers and in front of the deep safety. Not sure why this play hasn't been called yet. LBs close to line make it that much easier, drop TE and Gurley into protection.

TA had a touchdown on a similar completion a couple years ago against the Colts. U need to dial this up Boras and it will back the LBs off the line and give Todd and Benny those ready 5-10 yd gains Fisher loves so much.

The key question is: can short, limited vision Case find Tavon fast enough with more pass rushers than our OL can handle bearing down on him? Case gets too rattled for me under pressure, although He did hang in there a few times for nice completions against the 'Hawks.

I would absolutely love! to see Tavon catching the rock with 8-9 defensive suckers in the box. If he can burn the D for long scores, that would solve the over keying on Todd in a heartbeat. However, I can visualize Jared finding Tavon and everyone else so much easier than Case. I am hoping Case can prove me wrong enough times over the next two games.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
From what I have seen, the Rams have been best when utilizing play action. I know that conventional wisdom says you need a consistently good running game for PA to work. I say you only need the threat of a good running game. Loosen em up Case....

We have a consistently good running game. The damn DC's know! if they relax their 8-9 men boxes for an instant, Todd will rip their defenses hearts out. Those 8-9 men boxes are not there for style---they are trying to keep the best damn NFL RB from doing his thing. Nevertheless, once Jared gets acclimated to the starting QB role, The Gurley Express! will be going into overdrive on a semi-permanent basis!!!