Rams Linebackers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great win, BUT:

It was Tree that whiffed on Romo too. Today he allowed two huge plays today for Wilson that should not have happened to a veteran LB. Too bad we don't have anyone else so AO can sit and think about the meaning of 'outside containment'.
I just wonder if Ogletree is suffering from some kind of Second year Slump or something. He seems slower than last year, when he seemed to be everywhere, and was getting all of those Tackles!!

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I don't have a PFF subscription, but I saw on another site that Ogletree was the lowest graded OLB in the NFL. Can someone with a subscription confirm? Here are the lowest rated LBs on PFF, according to some poster on reddit:

4-3 OLB1- Alec Ogletree, -9.8 (STL)
4-3 OLB2- Emmanuel Lamur, -7.4 (CIN)
3-4 OLB1- Kroy Bierrman, -8.6 (ATL)
3-4 OLB2- Mike Neal, -8.2 (GB)

I did focus on him when I finally watched the Seahawk game last night. Wilson completely abused him on 2 different runs, which accounted for about 80 of Wilson's 100 yards. He also missed a handful of tackles in the 2nd half, and had at least 1 pass completion against him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's an idea - let's use some cap $$$ to get some proven veteran leadership in the LB corps. Throwing more rookies at the problem is not always the answer, unless your goal is to be the perpetual "youngest team in the league". My goal is to win.

Do you have any suggestions of a proven veteran with leadership ?
Over the last decade the Rams Org. does not have a very good past experience in UFA Lb'er signings like the following:
Chris Draft
Will Witherspoon
Dexter Coakley
Chris Clarborne
Jamie Duncan

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/ufa/linebacker/
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/ufa/outside-linebacker/

Cap $$ will come available early in 2015. Rams have their own FA's that will need some Cap $$$ attention :

UFA
OT Barksdale
WR Britt
TE Kendricks
QB Hill
DT Carrington
OL Person
OL Joseph

RFA
Punter Hekker
FS McLeod
FB Harkey
QB Davis

OL Barnes

Penguin.

Rookie
Do you have any suggestions of a proven veteran with leadership ?
Over the last decade the Rams Org. does not have a very good past experience in UFA Lb'er signings like the following:
Chris Draft
Will Witherspoon
Dexter Coakley
Chris Clarborne
Jamie Duncan

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/ufa/linebacker/
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/ufa/outside-linebacker/

Cap $$ will come available early in 2015. Rams have their own FA's that will need some Cap $$$ attention :

UFA
OT Barksdale
WR Britt
TE Kendricks
QB Hill
DT Carrington
OL Person
OL Joseph

RFA
Punter Hekker
FS McLeod
FB Harkey
QB Davis

OL Barnes

I don't know the authenticity of this list, but Lance Kendricks was drafted in the second round out of Wisconsin.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't know the authenticity of this list, but Lance Kendricks was drafted in the second round out of Wisconsin.

Ok ? Its my list and the information came from this site....http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/st.-louis-rams/

There are two lists in my post...first was UFA's LB'ers signed by the Rams this last decade (not all that good of a track record).

The 2nd list is a combined list of various Ram players who play different positions who's contracts expire early in 2015 & enter the free agency status that need to be addressed by the Rams Org. involving $$$$$. That's where you will find Lance Kendricks .

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Two things to ponder:

1) Schotty is dialing up an awesome game plan all the way to the 2nd half. Then he gets conservative
2) Williams has the D on point, holding the Hags to 6 points, then the half hits and we get conservative.

Does anyone here think that quite possibly the reason we start to tank in the second half is because they're both told to dial it back and play it safe? Just curious because it seems like they were both in a much better rhythm before the half. JMO
Agreed and yes I do think dialing it back in the second half has hurt us,play calling was definitely not in the same rhythm in the Dallas and San Francisco game it's almost as if Fisher is content on winning by small margin instead blowing out the other team.

AZRamsFan93

There are two lists in my post...first was UFA's LB'ers signed by the Rams this last decade (not all that good of a track record).
Are you saying that, based upon the poor results seen in the past signing linebackers, that the Rams shouldn't continue to try to upgrade via free agency?

I am not the coach or the general manager, but I can see that this team needs help now in the LB corps, not in 2 or 3 years when a rookie finally develops into a usable contributor.

Growing through the draft is wise. Using the draft exclusively is not, as you will not have veteran leadership on your team - something I think is a problem today.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Are you saying that, based upon the poor results seen in the past signing linebackers, that the Rams shouldn't continue to try to upgrade via free agency?

I am not the coach or the general manager, but I can see that this team needs help now in the LB corps, not in 2 or 3 years when a rookie finally develops into a usable contributor.

Growing through the draft is wise. Using the draft exclusively is not, as you will not have veteran leadership on your team - something I think is a problem today.

No. I know we are talking Lb'ers here but I also hold starting DE's Hayes & Quinn as having a part in some of these breakdowns too.

Just pointing out our past decade of UFA ex Lb'er signings. I reviewed the list of 2015 UFA's in that site that I provided. I did not see any that jumped out in my mind. I was hoping fellow ROD members had some ideals/suggestions of any that would fit the Rams.

Rams continue to operate heavy in the nickle to this date meaning one of the 3 Lb'ers hits the sideline. I'm not ready to look to replace JL & Tree so that just leaves the mostly part time Lb'er Duncan as the Lb'er under consideration to sign a UFA for to push. Thus in my small brain cell would make me to consider our own Ram UFA full time starters a much higher priority. ;)