Rams’ Linebackers Ready to Bust Out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams’ Linebackers Ready to Bust Out

By D'Marco Farr

http://www.101sports.com/2014/07/17/rams-linebackers-ready-bust/

I like the St. Louis Rams’ depth at linebacker in 2014. Barring any last-minute roster shuffling, the corps at the second level of the defense should be about set for the team’s reporting date of July 24.

All eyes are on Alec Ogletree this fall – and for good reason. In 2013, the weakside linebacker enjoyed a semi-breakout campaign, pacing the squad in total tackles (119). After struggling early on in the preseason, the rookie out of Georgia visibly gained confidence quickly and made big plays late in the year. Of his nine tackles for loss, six came after Week 8. He also managed to squeeze in 1.5 sacks in the last four weeks and recorded a season-high two forced fumbles in a 23-13 victory over Tampa Bay in Week 16. Better late than never, right?

Most of the time in the Rams’ 4-3 base defense, I expect it will be Ogletree (or any WLB) who will be put in the best position to roam and pursue the football. Let’s hope that he picks where he left off, giving unit leader James Laurinaitis a fierce tag-team partner for years to come.

Speaking of No. 55, St. Louis’ starting middle linebacker failed to crack the recent list of the top 100 players in the league. And you know what? I couldn’t care less. (I hope he does, though, and I will snitch on him to his father if he’s not hacked off.) I don’t give a damn where he ranks in a perception poll.

It’s pretty simple, really: The Rams don’t need Laurinaitis to be Patrick Willis in order to be special. All he has to do is score as many takedowns as humanly possible and the Rams’ D has a chance to be dominant. He just has to be himself, continue to show up every Sunday (he hasn’t missed a game as a pro), call the defense and get everyone lined up via effective on-field communication.

We’re always talking about how multiple offensive coordinators can ruin young quarterbacks, but consider the number of different voices that Laurinaitis has absorbed in his first five seasons.

Now, he speaks for proven defensive coordinator Gregg Williams in practices and on game day. And the 2014 version of the Rams’ defense will be slightly more advanced than last year.

The numbers slipped last season, with Laurinaitis’ 116 total tackles marking the second fewest of his career. It was also the first time that the Ohio State product didn’t lead the team in tackling since being drafted by St. Louis in 2009. Ogletree’s emergence, however, helped play a part in that. And if greater team success means a dip in individual stats, well, No. 55 will be happy to make such a trade-off.