Rams learn that with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, there’s substance behind the hype

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Rams learn that with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, there’s substance behind the hype
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/2...e-hype/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
0802_spo_ldn-l-rams-201.jpg

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips walks the field during the Rams training camp at UC Irvine on Tuesday, August 1, 2017. (Photo by Kevin Sullivan, Orange County Register/SCNG)

By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: August 24, 2017 at 2:55 pm | UPDATED: August 24, 2017 at 4:58 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — Even before they met him, the Rams bought into the idea of playing for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. His 40-year resume, Super Bowl ring and wry sense of humor didn’t hurt.

Then, after a few weeks in meeting rooms and on the field, the Rams discovered Phillips’ substance.

“It was surprising how much the defense works, really,” tackle Michael Brockers said. “I was surprised at how smart Wade is. When he calls stuff, if you execute it and you do it the right way, it’s going to work. That’s been the biggest surprise to me, is just seeing it come to fruition.”

Certainly, there’s a long way to go. The contract holdout of star lineman Aaron Donald continues, and injuries to linebackers Robert Quinn and Mark Barron and cornerbacks Kayvon Webster and Nickell Robey-Coleman have prevented the first-string defense from playing together during the preseason.

So from the outside, the Rams’ defense remains a bit of a mystery, and not one that will be solved during Saturday’s exhibition game against the Chargers. The Rams, insist, though, that things are coming along nicely.

“You see (players) in meetings kind of seeing it all come together,” linebacker Connor Barwin said. “Guys are able to see the whole system. ‘I see what we do in this situation and how this play works.’ It’s a good feeling when you see guys seeing results show up in tape. It makes them buy in more.”

Phillips’ history of being a turnaround artist is undeniable. Over the past 15 years, he has taken over defenses in Atlanta, San Diego, Houston and Denver and made immediate statistical improvements.

Any concern over Phillips and the Rams involved not his system, but existing players fitting into it.

The Rams asked defensive end Robert Quinn to move to outside linebacker. Mark Barron, a natural safety who played outside linebacker last season, moved to inside linebacker. Brockers, previously a 4-3 defensive tackle, shifted to nose tackle. Barwin, who played linebacker under Phillips in Houston, has moved back there after a season at defensive end.

Quinn and Barron missed most of training camp and probably won’t play together until the Sept. 10 season opener against Indianapolis, but Quinn said off-field installation of the defense has been smooth.

“I think the guys have made a great adjustment,” Quinn said. “The system might seem complicated to everyone else, but I think Wade simplifies it for us. Guys have been able to adjust a little bit easier, because he makes it, while you’re in the classroom, easier to understand.”

Brockers had a more basic concern. No lightweight at 302 pounds, Brockers understood that he was 20-30 pounds lighter than the average NFL nose tackle, but then he did a little research into Phillips.

“At first, it was kind of scary, coming from a 4-3,” Brockers said. “You’re thinking you should be a big, burly nose tackle, but you look at Wade’s history and he usually doesn’t have those. In Denver, he didn’t really have a large tackle, so I fit in perfectly.”

That seems to be the consensus among the Rams, in part because Phillips values versatility.

The Rams might have one of the fastest defenses in the NFL, but there are questions about size. Neither Barron nor Alec Ogletree is a traditional, stout middle linebacker, and, of course, the Rams have yet to incorporate Donald into their defense.

Still, there’s optimism. Phillips is known to be a stickler for details, but also will explain a concept as many times as is necessary for a player to understand it. Rams players say that nuances of the system might take a little while to learn, but once it is installed, the system is simple to run and player-friendly.

“Maybe it’s simple,” Barwin said, “but I think Wade has a really high standard, where you’re not allowed to make mistakes. Because of that standard, guys learn it and know it. But I also think once you learn the system, it can be complicated to the offense but simple to us. Because there’s really just a few things that we do, but we move different people around and make it complicated to dissect what it is.”

SITTING OUT

Cooper Kupp, the Rams’ leading receiver in the preseason, will not play Saturday against the Chargers, Coach Sean McVay said after Thursday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. Kupp apparently is dealing with a minor groin injury and did not practice.

McVay said the status of linebacker Robert Quinn and cornerback Kayvon Webster had yet to be determined, and that cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman would not play.

SPECIAL GUESTS

The Rams hosted comedian/actor Kevin Hart and actor Scott Eastwood at practice, and they filmed scenes for an upcoming online show. Hart attempted to field a punt (he fumbled) and raced receiver K.D. Cannon in a 40-yard dash (he lost) as Rams players and coaches cheered and jeered.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have faith in Wade Phillips. Williams was a good coordinator, but Wade is the best.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Some could debate if for not landing Wade Phillips, Sean McVay might not be Head Coach of the Los Angeles Rams...That sealed the deal and I knew Phillips was good, in fact, better than good, very simply the very best, however, his age did give me some trepidation, but @Sonofbum is one amazing man and just the best defensive coordinator on the damn planet. I'm glad his daughter (very attractive I will add) is an actress living in Los Angeles.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Some could debate if for not landing Wade Phillips, Sean McVay might not be Head Coach of the Los Angeles Rams...That sealed the deal and I knew Phillips was good, in fact, better than good, very simply the very best, however, his age did give me some trepidation, but @Sonofbum is one amazing man and just the best defensive coordinator on the damn planet. I'm glad his daughter (very attractive I will add) is an actress living in Los Angeles.

Loved that movie, had no idea the dancer was Wade's daughter. Movie was based on a true story, and very enlightening on the politics and failures of our involvement in Afghanistan.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
SITTING OUT
Cooper Kupp, the Rams’ leading receiver in the preseason, will not play Saturday against the Chargers, Coach Sean McVay said after Thursday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. Kupp apparently is dealing with a minor groin injury and did not practice.

Good, some other receivers will get a chance for some targets. :p

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So from the outside, the Rams’ defense remains a bit of a mystery, and not one that will be solved during Saturday’s exhibition game against the Chargers. The Rams, insist, though, that things are coming along nicely.
I was a lil shocked at the way the Raiders went thru our starters last week...Just saying....coming along nicely, eh?

Good, some other receivers will get a chance for some targets.
SITTING OUT
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-cooper-kupp-ruled-out-against-the-chargers
Cooper Kupp ruled out against the Chargers
BY MARK CHICHESTER
  • Los Angeles Rams insider Myles Simmons has reported that wide receiver Cooper Kupp has been ruled out of the team’s third preseason game against the Los Angeles Chargers. According to head coach Sean McVay, Kupp has suffered a minor groin strain, but he should be good to go for the regular season.
  • Kupp was selected with the 69th overall pick of the NFL after a dominant final season at the college level. In 2016, the East Michigan Wide receiver averaged 3.32 yards per route run, which ranked eighth of 46 college wide receivers, and his wide receiver rating (the passer rating generated by the quarterback when targeting that receiver) of 140.2 ranked third among the 2017 draft class.
  • Kupp has provided impressive performances so far this preseason. After two games, Kupp has averaged 3.18 yards per route run, ranking second among the 67 wide receivers who have played at least 30 receiving snaps, and his wide receiver rating of 143.8 leads the league’s wide receivers.
Screen-Shot-2017-08-24-at-23.04.23.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was a lil shocked at the way the Raiders went thru our starters last week...Just saying....coming along nicely, eh?

Our starters? Half the starting defense watched the whole game from the sidelines.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams asked defensive end Robert Quinn to move to outside linebacker.

That is a move that MAY save his career. I like the guy a ton, but he has only one real move from the edge and that's blowing by the tackle. After everyone saw him do that all year long it was no longer nearly impossible to at least partially negate his effect. Now he will be deployed in various ways and that makes it WAY harder to defend him. Now it's just not a matter of pushing or shoving him after he comes across the line. Now he can knife through the tackle and guard after the ball is snapped.

This may be the best thing that could have happened to him as far as career revival.

Yeah but that's a good offense though. And it's early!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have faith in Wade Phillips. Williams was a good coordinator, but Wade is the best.
Wades doing a great job! Especially when you consider the fact he's not playing with all of his starter!! I can't wait to see what he does with everyone out there!!(y);):D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They started...so, I'll call them starters and key backups....and they looked like they didn't belong on the field.
You switching your life focus from speed to drama? That's very harsh but we're used to you overstating things :p Half our starters missing a preseason game and we outscored them and got an INT from a guy that only had 6 all of last year in 560 attempts.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Our starters? Half the starting defense watched the whole game from the sidelines.

King Phillips is not gonna show anything scheme-wise during pre-season.
So yea their coming along nicely.There are things about this team that one could be concerned about.

This.....
460x.jpg

Ain't One Of Them

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You switching your life focus from speed to drama? That's very harsh but we're used to you overstating things :p Half our starters missing a preseason game and we outscored them and got an INT from a guy that only had 6 all of last year in 560 attempts.
An old favorite movie had a line, "just the facts...." LOL

They were moving the ball at will....int notwithstanding....and it was a little disconcerting...given all the praise heaped on Son of bum in this article. If our backups can't play....put in some others. And I'm not just talking about the replaced players like Littleton & LTP....but Joyner....geez he only had 4 plays....and did....nothing....and Mo. Westbrooks didn't look too good either...Tree, meh...Brockers...meh.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They were moving the ball at will....int notwithstanding....and it was a little disconcerting...given all the praise heaped on Son of bum in this article. If our backups can't play....put in some others. And I'm not just talking about the replaced players like Littleton & LTP....but Joyner....geez he only had 4 plays....and did....nothing....and Mo. Westbrooks didn't look too good either...Tree, meh...Brockers...meh.
Got it you're upset a defense with majority backups not scheming to stop a top 10 offense in the NFL with one of the two or three best OLines in the NFL didn't manage to look good enough for you. We were without Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Mark Barron, Kayvon Webster and Nickell Robey-Coleman (not counting 6th starter Easley cause he's out for the year). You know it's something to be ashamed of our 2nd and 3rd team couldn't shut down the Raiders. How ever will we manage the Colts week 1? Of our starters Mo, Barwin and Tree played 17 snaps, Longacre 16, Brockers 14, TruJo 9 (HORRIBLE! Nine snaps and only 1 INT? Cut him now!) and Joyner 4. It's amazing those guys with so few snaps couldn't stop the NFL's #7 scoring offense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is....we're vanilla....so are they...
Starting 11 does better than 5 starters and 6 backups. Shocking. Hell the 2nd TE he threw was against Hill who's what our 7th CB or lower? Amazed you're worried about this honestly.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

[QUOTE="LACHAMP46
adults_cb.jpg