Rams LB Upgrade???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
I re-watched the Rams vs Falcons playoff game tonight. In the 3rd quarter the Rams obviously couldn't stop the run. What stood out was Ogletree looking athletic but hands on his hips wearing out/missing tackles, Barwin slow as a 2-legged dog when he was ever in and Quinn pushed around and totally ineffective against the run when he was ever in. In the 4th quarter it was short passes that put the nail in the coffin. While not on the LBs soley - I didn't see much help from them on those passing plays.

We need LBs that meet the run at the line of scrimmage and can stick a tackle when they get their hands on the runner. So even though I would like 1 vet edge player added to the mix for the early part of the season while the younger guys get acclimated - I think we will be ok with Edge pressure on passing plays due to our upgrades on the DL/DB levels - but will the LBs be able to help defend against the short passes?

My question to this forum is since Barron is the only starting LB holdover from 2017 - what do we think the Rams/Phillips have in mind to FIX this glaring problem from the 2017 season?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I think Micah Kiser may be a pleasant surprise. Samson off the edge. Obo late in the season will flash and team with Samson to have a B+ edge team for ‘19.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like what the Rams did at LB this off season and don't want to add dead weight veterans. Keep the youth movement of guys Wade and his guys can coach up. What would have been a huge difference in that game too would have been Brockers not getting hurt.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Re: Atlanta...Seemed like the Rams LBs pretty much held their own until Brockers got hurt. After that is when the wheels fell off. Point being, can’t put it all on the LB corp

Always felt Brockers was undervalued and the Atlanta game sure seems to reinforce that.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, Big Brock going down definitely cast a light on just how important he is. My question is, who do we have behind him if he gets injured again? Having Suh definitely helps in that regard, and hopefully Easley can stay healthy, but sheesh.....that was a glaring hole in the second half of the playoff game.

As far as the LB crew, I can see an argument for bringing in a veteran run stuffer type IF the scheme is a fit. We'll have to see who shakes out after cut downs.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
McVay and Phillips, unlike what they were able to do last year, have brought in linebackers who play the way that McVay and Phillips wants. So gone are Quinn, Ogletree, and Barwin, and coming in is Orkoronkwo, Howard, Kiser, and Ramik, etc. No more do the Rams have slow prodding, slow reacting, and slow minded players, but now they have fast aggressive linebackers who can get from point A to point B quickly and still make the play.

But let's not forget that this new group has something that the old group never had. Donald, Suh, and Brockers, who immediately will help any linebacking group look better.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Ogletree looking athletic but hands on his hips wearing out/missing tackles,
Barwin slow as a 2-legged dog when he was ever in
Quinn pushed around and totally ineffective against the run when he was ever in.
And that's why they're all gone and won't be back either.

It's a way better idea to get these young athletic guys coached up than watch those old wore out has beens get burned again.

Then you add the cap savings in, it was almost a no-brainer.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Junior Galette is still out there. I know he might be a head case, but I'd like to see him in horns on a one year prove it deal.

I think Elvis Dumervil is still out there as well.

fearsomefour

Legend
I remember a lot of outside runs for the Falcons when the backup OLB were in.
No idea of the LB core has been upgraded or not. I don't expect the Rams to sign any vet LBs however.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I re-watched the first quarter of that game yesterday. Littleton looked very good, I think he had a sack and an interception. Barron is good in coverage and gives 100% in run defense. Need one of the rookies to step in and play this year and likely draft Barron's replacement in 2019.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As for Alex with hands on hips........New England runs the crap out of their players. That is why they always look so strong in the fourth quarter and can never be ruled out. If the Patriots are they team to beat the Rams need to be doing more of the same.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don't expect the Rams to sign any vet LBs however.
I expect the Rams will concentrate on evaluating our present linebackers extensively in Camp before making that decision.

The hope is that they look great in Camp so we don't have to hire a vet, I would think.

Ants

Starter
I've recently seen some sort of highlight (I believe on the NFL Network) - it was more of a Dallas Cowboys highlight, but the play they show is one where Ogletree has an angle on the Cowboys runner - he gives a crap effort where he could have easily pushed the runner out of bounds. He missed the "big" tackle and the runner goes in for the score.

You know, I really liked Ogletree. But he really leaves a lot to be desired. He's athletic, but he doesn't seem to play smart or tough.
I look forward to our new crew of LB's.

dang

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've recently seen some sort of highlight (I believe on the NFL Network) - it was more of a Dallas Cowboys highlight, but the play they show is one where Ogletree has an angle on the Cowboys runner - he gives a crap effort where he could have easily pushed the runner out of bounds. He missed the "big" tackle and the runner goes in for the score.

You know, I really liked Ogletree. But he really leaves a lot to be desired. He's athletic, but he doesn't seem to play smart or tough.
I look forward to our new crew of LB's.
I really like Ogletree and his athleticism but as I watch more Rams game replays - he had to be a leader in missed tackles last year. It's amazing how many times he was positioned to blow up a play or shut it down and he just didn't close the deal.

Ram65

Legend
Barwin slow as a 2-legged dog

Great line. Been saying he is slow too. Also, loses is balance easily.

We need LBs that meet the run at the line of scrimmage and can stick a tackle when they get their hands on the runner. So even though I would like 1 vet edge player added to the mix for the early part of the season while the younger guys get acclimated - I think we will be ok with Edge pressure on passing plays due to our upgrades on the DL/DB levels - but will the LBs be able to help defend against the short passes?

Said that was important as playing the run. Wade's LBers in the middle have to cover. We will see. Should get help from everyone but Barron can cover when healthy and Littleton should get better as the season goes on.

My question to this forum is since Barron is the only starting LB holdover from 2017 - what do we think the Rams/Phillips have in mind to FIX this glaring problem from the 2017 season?

The rest of the of the defense and young improving players.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
what do we think the Rams/Phillips have in mind to FIX this glaring problem from the 2017 season?
The biggest run stopping addition should be Suh.
Remember before and after Brockers went down against Atlanta?

Do you noticed where Atlanta's big runs were taking place?

Brockers couldn't be pushed around in the run game like our second stringers were.

Now we basically have another Brockers in Suh.

If they both make it through the season healthy that's going to be a huge problem for other teams because we will make force them to pass.

That won't be easy to do either, particularly deep passes.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I mentioned a few times last year that Longacre was outperforming Quinn because he held the edge better and Quinn’s sacks were mostly schematic cleanups. Ogletree made splash plays but is among the league leaders in missed tackles. Barwin was a one year stopgap who’s experience was more valuable in Wade’s first year in spite of his athletic liabilities.

What gives me hope for this year’s newcomers was last year’s development of John Johnson III. He was not highly drafted and lightly regarded but perfect for what Wade desired. By this time next year, our linebackers will be heralded as revelations and the discussion will be how soon we can lock them up long-term.

Bank it

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the key is someone winning that job on the right side. If that happens, then they can flip Longacre to the left where he'll fit better and absolutely terrorize RTs game to game.

Have no idea what they're thinking internally right now. Probably to let Okowrongkwo and Ebukam duke it out on the right but at this point I think we're a little under-talented at LB. Chances of lightning striking at two positions (Barron & Longacre are the obvious starters at two positions) is unlikely.

And btw we can still have a very good defense given our expectations of interior rush plus what looks to be an elite secondary. But I sure would feel a lot better if one of these guys starts flashing early and often in camp on the right.

dang

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the key is someone winning that job on the right side. If that happens, then they can flip Longacre to the left where he'll fit better and absolutely terrorize RTs game to game.

Have no idea what they're thinking internally right now. Probably to let Okowrongkwo and Ebukam duke it out on the right but at this point I think we're a little under-talented at LB. Chances of lightning striking at two positions (Barron & Longacre are the obvious starters at two positions) is unlikely.

And btw we can still have a very good defense given our expectations of interior rush plus what looks to be an elite secondary. But I sure would feel a lot better if one of these guys starts flashing early and often in camp on the right.
Exactly my thoughts. A little light at OLB to start with high optimism young players will fill in nicely as season progresses.

Ram65

Legend

I thought Ebukam was penciled in at the right side and Longacre on the left. Seems like Wade has a lot of faith in Ebukam. Longacre has been proving himself with 40% of the snaps before his injury.. If Obo gets back and shows something he should get playing time. I think Wade will keep them all fresh which will help. He has options with going 4-3 with Easley/Westbrooks. Rams could add a veteran if they feel the need but, not Barwin.