Rams LB Micah Kiser tackled pain, gets a new chance to start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams LB Micah Kiser tackled pain, gets a new chance to start

THOUSAND OAKS — They knew about his talent. They knew about his intelligence.

A year ago this week, the Rams learned about Micah Kiser’s determination.

Kiser was making a routine tackle against the Dallas Cowboys in a preseason game Aug. 17, 2019, in Honolulu when his left pectoral muscle tore. The rest of us would be writhing in pain from such an injury, in the unlikely event we had pectoral muscles like Kiser’s to begin with. Kiser played four more downs before coming out.

He made that revelation, about trying to stay in the game, Friday in a Zoom chat with reporters. Some reporters were incredulous. The linebacker explained it matter-of-factly.

“I couldn’t really run, I couldn’t really move,” Kiser said of the effect of the freak injury. “At the time, I was competing with Bryce (Hager) to get a lot of playing time, and I was like, ‘I’m not going to waste this opportunity.’ They were going to have to pull me out of the game for me to come out. I was ready to go out on my shield.”

Kiser went on injured reserve and missed the 2019 season, undergoing surgery and five months of rehabilitation.

On track for a starting role at middle linebacker before the injury, the Rams’ fifth-round draft pick in 2018 out of Virginia had to put off that goal for a year.

Now, with star middle linebacker Cory Littleton gone to the Raiders and Hager not re-signed, Kiser, 25, is competing with Troy Reeder, Travin Howard and Kenny Young at the Rams’ middle-linebacker spots.

“You see the instincts, you see the awareness, great communication ability,” coach Sean McVay said of Kiser, whose only action as a rookie was on special teams. “He’s been attacking at the football, he’s forced a couple (of fumbles in practice).”

Kiser, listed at 6 feet and 244 pounds, was All-ACC and the conference’s leading tackler in the 2016 and 2017 seasons, and won the William V. Campbell Trophy, the award known as the Academic Heisman.

“He’s got an innate feel (for the game). Football makes sense to him. It’s been good to see him out here healthy, and we’re optimistic he’s going to be a big contributor this year,” McVay said.

That optimism was tested. Among the Rams medical staffers helping with Kiser’s recovery was sports psychologist Carrie Hastings.

“It’s been pretty tough mentally,” Kiser said. “The easiest thing was to feel sorry for myself. It took a while to get over that, honestly. Going to the games was tough, not being able to be in the foxhole.”

He said that after recovering, he spent the offseason working on his ability to change directions and make plays in the open field.

“I’m trying to have a Cooper Kupp-like comeback,” he said, referring to the wide receiver’s 1,100-yard season following a 2018 knee injury.

Kiser’s first time in uniform at an NFL stadium in more than a year comes Saturday evening in the first intrasquad scrimmage at SoFi Stadium, the Rams’ and Chargers’ new home in Inglewood. The Rams will hold one more scrimmage at SoFi on Aug. 29. They open the season there Sept. 13 against the Dallas Cowboys.

“I’m definitely looking forward to it,” Kiser said of getting on the field.

The Rams know that once he’s on the field, it won’t be easy to get him to leave.

Notes

• The Rams will follow other sports franchises and put cardboard images of fans in the stands at home games. The team said fans can pay – $70 for season-ticket holders, $80 for others – to have their photos placed in end zone seats at SoFi Stadium. Proceeds will benefit the Los Angeles Rams Foundation “to address social injustices including poverty, education inequities, food insecurity and homelessness.” Details are online at therams.com/game-faces-for-good. The Rams haven’t said how many fans, if any, they’ll have at home games.

• The defense was ahead of the offense in the Rams’ practice Friday in Thousand Oaks. McVay wasn’t happy how it ended for the offense, with two-minute drills in which a deep pass by Jared Goff to Robert Woods was intercepted by Jalen Ramsey and the second team, led by John Wolford, let the clock run out. “We had a lot of guys that panicked, frankly,” the coach said of the clock mismanagement. “Guys have to learn from it, and that’s part of why you practice. Those things will not be tolerated from us, and it’s not good enough.”

• McVay was asked if he’s surprised Blake Bortles hasn’t been picked up by another team after last year’s backup quarterback wasn’t re-signed by the Rams. “I am surprised, just because he’s played a lot of good football in this league,” McVay said. Wolford, who hasn’t taken an NFL snap, is on track to back up Goff. Both should see action in Saturday’s scrimmage.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm really pulling for Kiser. I hope he makes it back to !00%, and plays well for the Rams this year. It seems that he really loves the game and you need that on the team.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
6' even and 244lbs.

Sure got the stature to be a feared mlb.

Let's hope he hits RB's like a slegehammer.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
6' even and 244lbs.

Sure got the stature to be a feared mlb.

Let's hope he hits RB's like a slegehammer.
He does in fact, watch his college tape. I was excited with the pick, very productive MLB, but the concerns were that he wasn't good in coverage. I hope he's better than they say in that department, we gotta face some top TE's in our division. But we also gotta stop the run, and I'm excited that Kiser can be the guy to FINALLY plug the middle for us. He will make RB's feel it.

Psycho_X

Legend
Was super excited to see him start last season and even more so now that we have a glaring hole there. If he can stay healthy I expect big things. I really think our defense is going to be unbelievable this season. Hopefully our offense sharpens itself thanks to the defense they face every practice.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I’m cautiously optimistic about Kiser, too.

A college ‘tackling machine’.

Football smart.

Highly dedicated and loves the game.

Lost his starting position inside last year due to a freak accident.

Has been emphasizing his change of direction skills after rehab.

If he’s improved his pass coverage skills even a little bit through film study, he could be a helluva 2 down ILB, I think.

Ram65

Legend
He said that after recovering, he spent the offseason working on his ability to change directions and make plays in the open field.

I don't have doubt that Kiser will be a big improvement in run defense. As stated he understands the game, He can read and react even if he doesn't have elite speed. He is a little faster than Littleton in the 40. Working on his change of direction will be a big help.

The bigger question is how will he be used in coverage? I'm doubting that he is going to be used in man coverage a lot like Littleton. Staley will be trying to disguise coverage to confuse QBs. He could be good in zone coverage. He was a good blitzer in college which I'm sure Staley will have him pass rushing. I don't think Staley/Fanzio defense uses the blitz much though. He can rush the passer and they can have Floyd in coverage at times. Howard can be used in more man coverage.