Rams LB Josh Forrest ready for year two in NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams LB Josh Forrest ready for year two in NFL

By Justin Beasley

Paducah Tilghman alum and former Kentucky Wildcat Josh Forrest is getting ready for his sophomore season in the NFL.

Forrest, a linebacker for the Los Angeles Rams, combined for nine tackles in 10 games last season before it ended with a knee injury in week 12.

The former Blue Tornado star has been back at Paducah Tilghman High School working out with his former high school football coach Randy Wyatt before he reports to training camp at the end of the month.

"I feel like it was pretty good,” Forrest said of his rookie season in the NFL. “I learned a lot and I feel like that is the goal to learn something new so you don't keep making the same mistakes."

Even though Forrest earned himself four starts in his rookie season his playing time was inconsistent in 2016, but with a full year under his belt he's hoping to see the field more this upcoming season.

"I have a little more knowledge and now I feel like my feet are wet,” Forrest said. “I think this year should be a good year for me."

“He did an absolutely wonderful job,” Wyatt said of Forrest’s first year in the league. “I was really proud of him. I know I didn't miss a game on television. Of course, I'm one of his biggest fans."

But at the same time a coach that Forrest can count on.

"I talk to coach Wyatt a lot,” Forrest said. “He gives a lot of information. He tells me what he sees on television … We kept that strong communication and bond from high school to college to now so he definitely knows a lot about me."

Forrest is the fourth Blue Tornado to play a game in the NFL along with Bryan Hall, George Wilson and Kurt Barber.

He reports to Rams training camp July 29.

[www.wpsdlocal6.com]

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
This kid can play and don't be surprised if he is ahead of Hager in Phillips' defense. Also I look for Josh Reynolds to open some eyes in training camp, if I'm not mistaken the kid led the SEC in receiving last season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This kid can play and don't be surprised if he is ahead of Hager in Phillips' defense.
Yes Sir now yur on it!(y)

This late round draft selection of Snead's 2016 draft has some to offer this team. Josh Forrest was very slow out of the gate but as the season wore on JF got better & better. If the Rams had run a standard 43 defense where Josh would have played the standard SSLB'er post we would be posting much more & most all positive on him. Not really sure where Wade believes JF best fitted post but I am sure he will like what he see's.

IMO JF's best position in this new D is @ inside LBer on the strong side. This is where Alec Ogletree is slated to start. JF is also versatile enough to play the OSLB'er post like he did last season on the strong side. Same can be said about the other inside LB'er post where Mark Barron is the starter. So JF offer's up some real good value to this overall defensive unit. JF does not offer much as an edge rusher but Wade will discover JF is outstanding as a "gap shooter" which is music to Wade's old ears.

Where I differ from you is on Bryce Hager. BH has 32 NFL games under his belt. BH is entering his 3rd TC & pre season. He is a favorite of Bones who raves about him. JF & BH are different type of players too. Both are seriously further ahead of the rest of the pack of LB'ers in so many ways.

BH was an All-American linebacker, 3 year starting linebacker & quarterback of the defense. BH's college outstanding resume & his trophy case is larger than any other Ram LB'er. Take a look of how many championships & bowl teams he lead his team. Fact is if something was to happen to Alec Ogletree BH would be making the calls on defense for Wade. Oh yes BH gets paid in week old peanut shells off the floor. Bring mega eco value $$$ in the salary cap.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wasn't impressed with Forrest much...In fact, I don't really remember a play he made that was significant last year.
Where I differ from you is on Bryce Hager. BH has 32 NFL games under his belt. BH is entering his 3rd TC & pre season. He is a favorite of Bones who raves about him. JF & BH are different type of players too. Both are seriously further ahead of the rest of the pack of LB'ers in so many ways.

BH was an All-American linebacker, 3 year starting linebacker & quarterback of the defense. BH's college outstanding resume & his trophy case is larger than any other Ram LB'er. Take a look of how many championships & bowl teams he lead his team. Fact is if something was to happen to Alec Ogletree BH would be making the calls on defense for Wade. Oh yes BH gets paid in week old peanut shells off the floor. Bring mega eco value $$$ in the salary cap.
I think Hagar is the better player than Forrest also....Hagar can run. And I'll always remember that INT vs the Seahawks that almost won the game...That's a player right there.

Again...this all goes back to, we have a bunch of LB's....from the prior regime...Littleton...Hagar...Forrest...and now we have some more new OLB's.

I see some vets...some highly paid ones...getting cut either now, or in 2018

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wasn't impressed with Forrest much...In fact, I don't really remember a play he made that was significant last year.I think Hagar is the better player than Forrest also....Hagar can run. And I'll always remember that INT vs the Seahawks that almost won the game...That's a player right there.
Again...this all goes back to, we have a bunch of LB's....from the prior regime...Littleton...Hagar...Forrest...and now we have some more new OLB's.I see some vets...some highly paid ones...getting cut either now, or in 2018
I would agree with you on Bryce Hager being the better overall player than Josh Forrest. BH was our 4th LB'er in all goal line defensive formations. The thing about BH is he is a general well rounded player good in just about all things but not great in anything except in diagnosing offenses. BH talent fits the weak-side interior best. Its the opposite for JF. JF in 2016 normally 1st down SSLB'er in base D involving rotation with Joyner.When teams would power run to that side JF would replace Joyner. Neither BH or JF would fall into cost cutting cadre of players they are paid close to nothing.

IMO OLB Cory Littleton 53 player spot being in jeopardy. JF/BH no, since CL has always been an OLB in 43 playing both sides. CL 2 biggest games (2016)came after JF injured his knee & Joyner injuries piled up & could not dress. CL played well in the 43 D @ SSLB. The last 3 games of the season CL & DB Blake Countess played the SSLB'er post.

With 2 new drafted Wade type 34 OSLB'ers drafted in April ...CL is in for one serious TC battle. Wish I could see it. Any OLB'er in Wade's D will need to have a serious pass rush game. Not sure CL fits that skill set.:thinking:

This is my prediction @ this time of our opening season LB'er unit:

WSOLB- Quinn/ Ebukam(R)
WSILB- Barron/ Hager
SSILB- Ogletree/ Forrest
SSOLB- Barwin/ Price(R)

Thus leaving Wade to figure out if Quinn & Barwin will be involved in the DL final numbers where its possible to see only 6 DL'ers (I beleive ROD forum will be surprised @ amount total of DL'ers kept). The rest of our LB'ing cadre hoping to grasp on as that #9 & maybe 2 spots on the PS if we only go with 8 LB'ers.

#9-Cory Littleton
#10-Cassanova McKinzy
#11- Kevin Davis (R)
#12-Carlos Thompson
#13-Nicholas Grigsby

Last edited: