Rams LB depth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I thought I'd just give a snapshot of where we're at, I think it's kinda interesting to take a look right now as we head into FA and draft. This is all subject to change if Barron goes but I'm getting the feeling he actually may stay right now.

Sam LB:
- Previous starters: Conor Barwin
- Existing players: Samsun Ebukam
- Depth: Ejuan Price

Mike LB:
- Previous starters: Alec Ogletree
- Existing starters: Bryce Hager
- Depth: Cameron Lynch

MO LB:
- Previous starters: Mark Barron
- Existing starters: Mark Barron
- Depth: Cory Littleton (possible starter)

Will LB:
- Previous starters: Robert Quinn
- Existing starters: Matt Longacre (coming off injury)
- Depth: Carlos Thompson

Notes:
- Ogletree has been playing the Mike or strongside inside LB which is the traditionally stouter LB in Wade's 3-4. We do not seem to have a good answer right there right now as we stand. I would not like to have to rely on Hager at all. That being said, this might be the easiest spot to replace with talent in the draft as the skill-set here is limited (run D and taking and shedding blocks). This position does not need to be as pass coverage savvy and any pass rush you get from it is just icing on the cake.
- Barron aside from his health, is the perfect guy for MO LB or weakside inside LB where you need to be rangy and capable of pass coverage. You do not need to be able to stack and shed blocks as much as the Mike LB role. In the end, Ogletree could have taken over here if we cut Barron and while he may have been even rangy-er, I don't think he was as sure a tackler.
- In limited action, Cory Littleton looks like he's a great fit at MO LB too. He's excellent depth there and if we cut Barron, I actually don't think you look to replace Littleton, just promote him and seek depth behind him. Littleton is ONLY a MO LB and will not play any Mike at all. Not a fit. He may be a more sure tackler than Ogletree but I highly doubt he can stack and shed blocks.
- Longacre's injury is nothing to sneeze at (might throw out your back ;). We definitely need to find some depth at OLB and FA pickings look slim. I could see us possibly bringing back Barwin actually as his production wasn't that far off from even an Aaron Lynch. Draft is where we got to pick some guys up here.

jap

Legend
I am gleefully awaiting the results of the next Les/SonOfBum collaboration.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Longacre is a RFA. He'll most likely be back if healthy, unless someone overpays for him .

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Longacre is a RFA. He'll most likely be back if healthy, unless someone overpays for him .

I'm not sure I see another team paying for Longacre coming off back surgery. Maybe if he was a legit star but not as a roll-player.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
At first, I thought Barron could stay because we are so thin at LB and he can cover, but then I went back and watched alot of tape from last season focussing on the LBs and there is no way we can keep Barron.

Barron untouched can ball because he is physical and fast. His best asset is definitely his coverage because he can match up with backs or TEs in man to man. His run defense?!? Good lord its bad. If a lineman breathes on him hes getting stuck on the block and its breaking for a big run. His instincts range from suspect to non-existent and you really can't blame him he's not an LB and he's had to play a different LB role every year. Even though he can cover his deficiencies in the run game make him unplayable in this scheme.

Luckily off the ball LB is one of the deepest positions in FA and there are several promising prospects who could come in and fill the mike LB spot with the money we save from cutting Barron. Then the Rams can draft a rookie and let them compete with Littleton to start at the MO.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'm a big fan of Littleton from what I saw of him last year. I remember watching games with my Dad last year (I know you're around here somewhere old man) and saying, "Holy crap! Somebody broke down in space and made an open field tackle. Oh it's just Littleton, he does that all the time."

fearsomefour

Legend
A whole lot of question marks.
If the Rams are going to go with a mix of what they have a rookies tbey need locked up a very good DL rotation and get a real NT thpemto keep blockers off of the LBs.
There are some FAs that are affordable that can help lock up the ILB spots.