Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein, ‘Mr. Automatic,’ enjoys a record-setting game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Getting harder to find these :whistle:

Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein, ‘Mr. Automatic,’ enjoys a record-setting game

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/0...in-mr-automatic-enjoys-a-record-setting-game/
rams_cowboys_football_24617933.jpg

Los Angeles Rams punter Johnny Hekker (6) holds as quarterback Dak Prescott (4) kicks a field goal in the second half of an NFL football game against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Michael Ainsworth)

By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: October 1, 2017 at 5:11 pm | UPDATED: October 1, 2017 at 6:44 pm

ARLINGTON, Texas — Greg Zuerlein seemed done after 2015, when the kicker once dubbed “Legatron” missed 10 of 30 field-goal attempts and coaches openly said he would have to compete for his job.

The machine is humming again. Zuerlein made all seven of his field-goal attempts Sunday against Dallas, including four from beyond 40 yards, and provided the difference in the Rams’ five-point victory.

“Automatic,” Rams quarterback Jared Goff said of Zuerlein. “He’s absolutely nails. For the most part, you get inside the 30(-yard line) and the first thing you think about is, ‘I’ve got points. Don’t be careless with it, because I’ve got points.’ Greg is nails. How many did he have today?”

Seven, the most ever by a Rams kicker in a single game. Jeff Wilkins kicked six field goals in 2006, but in a huge road victory, in front of more than 90,000 screaming fans, Zuerlein accounted for 23 of the Rams’ 35 points. Never, in team history, has a Rams player scored more than 24 points in a game.

“That’s the way the game went,” Zuerlein said. “Fortunately, we made them all. I think we helped the team win. It’s not about who is scoring points. It’s about winning at the end of the day.”

Zuerlein has made all 14 of his field-goal attempts this season, plus all 14 extra-point attempts.

Coach Sean McVay wasn’t with the Rams in 2015 when Zuerlein struggled. Then-coach Jeff Fisher said Zuerlein would be challenged in 2016, but the threat of that must have been enough, because the Rams never signed another kicker and Zuerlein made 19 of 22 field-goal attempts.

Zuerlein, who also didn’t miss a kick in preseason, has been perfect since McVay’s arrival.

“He won the game today,” McVay said. “He’s Mr. Automatic. … I can’t say enough about that unit. Jake McQuaide does an excellent job with the snaps and Johnny (Hekker) with the holds and then Greg has been outstanding. He can’t play any better than what he’s doing right now.”

TIGHTEN UP

The Rams improved on defense in the second half, and mostly when it came to defending first downs.

In the first and second quarters, the Cowboys gained 147 of their 287 yards on first-down plays. In the third quarter, Dallas gained just 4 yards on five first-down plays.

The Rams also tightened their run defense, and allowed just 56 yards on the ground in the second half (on 10 carries). Dallas running back Ezekiel Elliott finished with 85 yards on 21 carries.

“We just had little corrections to face here and there,” lineman Aaron Donald said. “Once we did that, we were solid. We kept giving the ball back to the offense and they kept doing what they were doing.”

HAPPY HOMECOMING

McVay gave honorary game balls to Zuerlein and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who was the Cowboys’ head coach from 2007 until the middle of the 2010 season. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who fired Phillips, had high praise for Phillips when asked about his team’s second-half struggles on offense.

“I want to give Wade Phillips his due,” Jones said. “They came in and made adjustments. They’ve drafted high and well. Against a lesser crew, we could have come back and shut the door. This is a big win for the Los Angeles Rams. This is a hurtful loss for us.”

ON THE MOVE

The Rams found a way to get receiver Tavon Austin going: as a running back. Austin, a negligible part of the offense in the first three games, caught only one pass (for a loss of 2 yards) but ran the ball six times for 48 yards. Austin was a running back in high school.

“I feel like we are on the same page right now,” Austin said. “Coach had a good plan for us. He worked us to death in practice. He works us until we get it. If anyone knows Coach Sean, he demands perfection. That’s what I like about him.”

ALL NORMAL

As McVay expected, the Rams did not participate in any type of protest during or before the national anthem. As usual, defensive lineman Robert Quinn stood with his fist in the air, and punter Johnny Hekker had his arm around Quinn. All other players and staff members stood.

INJURY REPORT

As expected, starting safety Lamarcus Joyner missed the game with a hamstring injury, but center John Sullivan, who had been limited during the week because of a hamstring injury, started, as did safety Cody Davis, who started in Joyner’s place even though he suffered a quadriceps injury during the week. McVay said the Rams didn’t suffer any new injuries during the game.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Funny. Pic description says Dak Prescott kicked our FGs...LOL

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Los Angeles Rams punter Johnny Hekker (6) holds as quarterback Dak Prescott (4) kicks a field goal in the second half of an NFL football game against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Michael Ainsworth)

WTF???

Edit: Beat me to it @Mackeyser

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Rewatched all 7 fgs... all 7 straight down the middle, not even close to either upright, no hook and no fade.

Young Geezy / Legatron got his groove on

mikeyboy

UDFA
It's going to be awesome when Greg the leg sets the NFL record for longest regular-season field goal.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Rewatched all 7 fgs... all 7 straight down the middle, not even close to either upright, no hook and no fade.

Been like that all year, right down the middle. He has been a machine out there.

jap

Legend

The game conditions will have to be just right, but we should get a FG distance record from 65 to 70 yards sometime from The Leg.

DeaconJones

Rookie
GZ scored 23 of our 35 points with his leg. That is incredible. We are so blessed with our kickers. And, when was the last time the Rams had 9 offensive scoring drives in a game?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not gonna lie, I'm low-key paranoid that GZ might go on a Nate Kaeding slump later this season.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
He did just that after he started with his first 15 FGs a couple of years back...Some people started calling for his head a few weeks after they were hailing him as the next coming...We as fans (myself included) can be pretty damned fickle a lot of times...