Rams: Keys to Victory

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
St. Louis Rams Mobile: Keys 2 Victory at Cardinals
http://yi.nzc.am/xELBH

As we get closer to Sunday’s 3:25 CT kickoff, here are three keys to victory for the Rams against the Cardinals (3-0) on Sunday.

1) Improve third-down efficiency

Over the last two games, the Rams have been OK on third down defensively, but poor on third down offensively. Starting with the defense, both Washington and Pittsburgh converted 50 percent of their third-down opportunities -- a number St. Louis would like to see go down this week. Going back to Week 1, Seattle converted 8-of-19 third-down chances, which is still a bit high.

On the other hand, the Rams have made only four third-down conversions in their last two games: two against Washington, and two against Pittsburgh. There are many factors that go into converting third downs -- positive plays on both first and second down among them. If St. Louis can get its running game going, that should set the offense up in 3rd-and-manageable situations. Those are always easier for an offense to convert than 3rd-and-long.

2) Start fast on defense

The Rams performed well against the Steelers’ offense, allowing only 12 points. But the unit did have trouble getting off the field early in the ballgame.

Pittsburgh had scoring drives of 13 and 12 plays to open the game -- possessions that took a combined 13:45 off the clock. The Rams also allowed 154 yards in the first quarter and then just 105 yards the rest of the way. Those numbers, and only surrendering 12 points, indicate the Rams did a nice job of making adjustments throughout the game.

Still, the unit getting off to a faster start should aid the Rams in getting into an offensive rhythm. If St. Louis’ defense can get off the field early and often, that will give the offense more chances to go down the field and put up points.

3) Make plays when they’re available

Last week, the Rams had a few key drops that could have either extended drives or given the team more opportunities to score. Playing a strong Arizona defense, the Rams must capitalize on those chances when they arrive.

That means converting those turnover opportunities if a defensive player can get his hands on a Carson Palmer pass, or picking the ball up on a fumble. It also means if the offense is in the red zone, the unit cannot have penalties to take them out of range for a scoring strike. With Arizona’s explosive offense, St. Louis will need touchdowns instead of field goals to come away with the victory.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My keys...

We must have success running the ball.
  • Gurley with 20 touches
  • Oline grows up, now
Defense going to have to keep the Cardinals < 20 points.
  • > 4 sacks
  • Contain the run
  • Avoid big pass plays
  • 2 turnovers

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I will not be happy unless after the game Fisher says "Yeah, as you saw Tavon had his big play." (Because we all know he's not capable of more than 1)

Then we continue to run the ball, even after the league makes a surprise announcement that you can replace your defensive line with a concrete wall stretching sideline to sideline.

And reverses/fake reverses. Most creative play in the history of the league, and I'm glad to see it didn't leave with Schotty. At least 12 of those a game.

Also, not only Tavon, but any player that has success in running/catching the ball must be immediately removed from the game for 5-6 series. Which will be followed by running plays with Cook lead blocking out of the backfield. Because as you all know... We need to get the running game going.

RamzFanz

Damnit
My keys...

• Gurley with 20 touches
  • Oline grows up, now
  • > 4 sacks
  • Contain the run
  • Avoid big pass plays
  • 2 turnovers

You nailed it.

The first post is 2/3 wrong. The Rams are a bend but don't break D. Yards are meaningless. 3rd down conversions are meaningless. They allow short plays and stuff the red zone. It works.

The more plays between the 20s for the opposing team is just more TO opportunities.

The Rams O will get better. It's just a matter of time.

I'm re watching the Steelers game and Fisher was right, Gurley had holes and was a step away from more than one huge play.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
My keys...

• Gurley with 20 touches
  • Oline grows up, now
  • > 4 sacks
  • Contain the run
  • Avoid big pass plays
  • 2 turnovers

You're right CGI. These things happen and we should win.

RamWoodie

Legend
I think the keys are:

*A heavy run dose using both Mason and Gurley...and try to get some screens in.

*Some rollouts for Foles...we've not seen any yet...and using some mobility can keep the Cards off balance.

* Get some "quick hit" slants with all the WRs and TEs which will force the Cards to make tackles and use Tavon of some "under routes". The offense MUST be more unpredictable!

On Defense:

*Try and get pass pressure on with just the front four! Challenge those guys to dominate the LOS so the LBs can flow to the ball or drop in coverage. Give several different looks to confuse the QB and please don;t get "blitz happy".

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the keys are:

*A heavy run dose using both Mason and Gurley...and try to get some screens in.

*Some rollouts for Foles...we've not seen any yet...and using some mobility can keep the Cards off balance.

* Get some "quick hit" slants with all the WRs and TEs which will force the Cards to make tackles and use Tavon of some "under routes". The offense MUST be more unpredictable!

On Defense:

*Try and get pass pressure on with just the front four! Challenge those guys to dominate the LOS so the LBs can flow to the ball or drop in coverage. Give several different looks to confuse the QB and please don;t get "blitz happy".

I like the idea of Foles moving. Bradford was insanely accurate rolling out... I like the concept with Foles too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We need to see this celebration a few times.

3fxuuah5de8pa7uzg.jpg

RamzFanz

Damnit
I like the idea of Foles moving. Bradford was insanely accurate rolling out... I like the concept with Foles too.

I like it in my mind's eye. I DON'T like it this game. Let's install during the bye and just play this one with what we can do well already.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Dick punch to Arians, post-game win.

Let him know, pre-game.

You don't know me, I'll punch his grandma in the dick