Rams Keys to Victory vs. the Giants --Savard/Farr

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Join Steve Savard and D’Marco Farr for the keys to victory against the New York Giants. Farr’s keys are get pressure on Eli, contain Beckham, and win the time of possession battle. Savard’s are run the ball effectively and win in the red zone.

Watch Rams Keys to Victory

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams-Giants: Matchup breakdown
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14714/rams-giants-matchup-breakdown

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A look at three individual matchups to keep an eye on when the St. Louis Rams and New York Giants meet at 4:05 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald vs. Giants center J.D. Walton

Like most teams, the Giants have probably seen enough of Donald so that this matchup won't take place one-on-one. In fact, most teams are now doing what they can to offer some help up the middle against Donald. But if these two end up isolated, it could be a long day at the office for Walton. At 6-foot-3, 305 pounds, Walton isn't known as much of a mauler, which should help against the lightning quick Donald but it might not matter because Donald packs quite a wallop for a smaller defensive tackle.

Donald has a sack in five consecutive games and is now up to eight on the season. He's also a prime contender for the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year award. According to Pro Football Focus, Walton has struggled in both pass protection and the run game and has allowed 14 quarterback hurries this season. With Eli Manning at quarterback and not offering much in the way of mobility, Donald could wreak major havoc if the Giants don't find a way to help up the middle.

Rams right guard Davin Joseph vs. Giants defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins

Hankins has quietly emerged as one of the most underrated defensive tackles in the league and certainly the Giants' most unheralded player. In his second season out of Ohio State, the 6-foot-2, 320-pounder has become a force in the middle of New York's defensive line, posting 48 tackles, seven sacks and a forced fumble.

Joseph, on the other hand, has mostly struggled as the starter and was regularly pushed around (along with center Scott Wells and right tackle Joe Barksdale) by Arizona last week. The Rams can help Joseph, but they also have to be concerned with end Jason Pierre-Paul. That means there could be times where he's up against Hankins one-on-one.

Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins vs. Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

I have written plenty about Beckham this week, but let's be honest here, there might not be a receiver in the game -- let alone a rookie -- playing as well as Beckham is right now. The Rams defense can make a similar claim about their unit as a whole, which means something will have to give. As we've seen on multiple occasions this year, the key to getting at the Rams defense is to hit on some big plays. It made the difference in last week's loss to Arizona with two big plays coming at Jenkins' expense.

Jenkins actually played pretty well against Arizona but he gave up a long completion to Michael Floyd and had a costly pass interference penalty, both of which led directly to Cardinals' field goals. For the Rams to keep the Giants in check, they'll have to find a way to keep Beckham in check. As evidenced by some of his circus catches this year, shutting Beckham down seems nearly impossible but if they can limit the big plays, it would go a long way toward a win. Don't be surprised if the Rams take special care to offer help for Jenkins over the top and it's worth noting that Beckham lines up all over the field so he may get to see some of other corners like E.J. Gaines and Trumaine Johnson, also.

Big Willie

Starter
If those are the key matchups, we might be in trouble. I have no faith we can win the Davin Joseph matchup and Beckham will probably beat Jenkins at least a couple of times for big plays. Eli throws a lot of picks so I expect JJ to be peeking into the backfield.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not even mildly concerned about our defense. The Rams are gonna maul Eli. Only way Eli has a chance is if they run the ball well, but I don't see that happening after they got gashed a little by the Cards.

Now the Joseph matchup? Yeah, gonna need some maalox probably. Hill just needs to play smart and get that ball out, because the Rams' receiving weapons will have good matchups all over the joint. Mason will probably bust a big one too if they give him enough carries.

This should be a Rams victory, but I admit I'm worried the Rams offense will turn into a football dispenser.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The Rams should be able to get heavy pressure on Manning..If they don't, it could be a very long day trying to shut down Beckham..I don't think the Gs running game strikes fear into too many people...They shut that down it would really enhance their ability to get after Eli...Lots of pressure and he can turn into an INT machine...Rams should win this one at home, but it always worries me when I think they should/will win a game...Gs pass rush has been on fire with 22 sacks in the last three weeks...Better keep them off of Hill with the running game...If Joseph and the right side of the line is a weak link, give them a steady dose of Mason behind Saffold and Robinson, and get him to the egde on the right side...As I'm always left scratching my head about, I wonder if they might some day use a screen pass to beat their pass rush...Rambling random and diatribe, sorry...Last point: I love my wife dearly, but I would bet her life that we will not see either of these QB's take it 90 yards to the house..DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My goodness, we probably won't see either guy go for 9 yards...