Rams, Kenny Britt Should Stay Together/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams, Kenny Britt should stay together
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16476/rams-and-kenny-britt-should-stay-together

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A little less than a year ago, the St. Louis Rams signed wide receiver Kenny Britt to a one-year "prove it" deal. You know, the one-year contract for a meager amount of money (in NFL terms) for a player who has injury concerns, off-the-field questions or a combination of the two.

Britt arrived in St. Louis with both, yet sought a fresh start with a familiar face. That familiar face was head coach Jeff Fisher, the man who chose Britt in the first round of the 2009 NFL draft.

The belief for Britt was that his reunion with Fisher could help him erase memories of the previous three seasons marked by dropped passes, injuries and questions about his approach to the game.

Meanwhile, the Rams hoped that Britt could give them a much-needed consistent threat in the passing game. Despite using multiple draft picks on wide receivers in the previous two offseasons, Fisher & Co. sought someone who could produce big plays and big numbers.

As it turned out, both sides mostly got what they wanted. Former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer made it clear how the Rams felt about Britt's addition near the end of the season.

"No. 1, he's just a joy to be around," Schottenheimer said then. "Comes out to practice every day high energy, intense, works, runs. I've been around a few receivers in my career that have talent like that and they don't want to work. This guy comes to work every day. He's a special talent, but he works his craft which is great. Certainly, had a huge game last week for us. A guy that we'd love to see back here."

Now, as Britt heads toward free agency for the second year in a row, the Rams probably won't have the benefit of bringing him back on another "prove it" deal.

Britt finished 2014 with 48 catches for 748 yards and three touchdowns. The yardage total was the second best of his career and those catches represent a career high. In the process, he became the first Rams pass-catcher since receiver Torry Holt in 2008 to even crack 700 receiving yards in a season.

Not that 700 yards should be some sort of impressive benchmark that means you've arrived, but in these parts it represents something in the vein of progress. It's enough to earn Britt a little more money and job security moving forward.

And if both sides get what they want, it'll happen in St. Louis.

"My wife loves it, I love it out here, I love this locker room, I love the people that are in this locker room, I love the people in the building, it's like an extended family to me," Britt said.

Discussions about a new contract began with Britt's representatives at the Senior Bowl in January, but to this point, a deal has not been struck. With free agency looming on March 10, there's a chance that Britt will get a chance to test the market.

By any measure, Britt has had his greatest success in the league playing for Fisher. It would behoove him to continue to do so, something he readily acknowledges.

"I always say it was a blessing for me to play with Jeff, especially in Tennessee," Britt said. "He's always been there, my whole career since I've been in the NFL, and after I finished my contract there we kept in touch and it's one of the main reasons I came here is because I liked him so much and I'd like to go win a ring with that guy, so I really fell in love when I met the guys in the locker room and the training staff and people around here."

From a Rams perspective, keeping Britt would serve multiple purposes. He proved a solid option in the passing game, one who should only produce more if given the chance to play with a quarterback like Sam Bradford for a full season. Retaining Britt would also make adding a receiver in the draft or free agency less of a pressing need.

Britt also proved a better-than-expected locker room leader and mentor for a group of young receivers. That was best seen in the steps forward for Brian Quick.

"He's that kind of player," Quick said. "That's why he's here. Just looking at him shows that I can do the same thing."

As it is for any possible free agent, Britt's future will be a business decision. Money will play a key role even if Britt insists otherwise.

"It's always about how you fit and how you feel," Britt said. "I was never a person that would go out there and play the game for money. I go out there and play the game for the guys that line up next to me and the guy that is in there each and every day going to work for guys like Jeff Fisher and the coaching staff. That's somebody I want to go win a ring with because he deserves it and I want to be one of the guys that helps."

Ensuring that possibility should be a priority for both parties.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Resigning Britt should be the Rams top FA priority IMHO. I think we have taken it somewhat for granted that Britt would return but the Rams need to seal the deal. If Britt were to leave the Rams would suddenly have a pretty big void at WR. With Quick's return to full health still somewhat in doubt at this point the Rams really need to have Britt around for some stability. Britt's returning takes pressure of the Rams to draft a WR early, although I would not be opposed to the Rams taking White or Cooper at 10. Having Britt back in the fold allows the Rams to focus more on value than need.

iced

what makes you say that? that they'll pay him more? or the Rams will just freak it up?

They could pay him more - or another team could.

Or Rams could see more value in one of the receivers in this draft class than what Britt wants

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not re-sign Britt. It was a miracle that he played in as many games as he did last year, and that will not happen again.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The rams would be insane to Let britt go. They finally find a wr that can get open consistently and then let him walk? No way. With a competent qb britt could have had at least another 5 tds last season.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They should stay together and the BETTER stay together..or I'm gonna shed a tear.