Rams' Kenny Britt confident he will connect with Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Against Saint's 30th Ranked Scoring D,Does Britt Get His First 100 YD game With Goff?

• Yes.We see the future begin this Sunday

Votes: 52 88.1%
  • No.Same old same old again

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/britt-736526-rams-time.html
oh6bn2-britt.jpg

THOUSAND OAKS – For the 10th time in his eight-year career, Kenny Britt is playing with a new starting quarterback.

This past Sunday, the Rams finally started No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff, giving fans reason to keep watching what has become an increasingly frustrating season. In a rainy debut at the Coliseum, he completed 17 of 31 passes for 134 yards — a performance that neither lifted nor doomed his team in a 14-10 loss to the Dolphins.

“He did OK,” Britt said. “He handled himself well for his first NFL game. He hasn’t been on the field for a couple of months now.”

It’s difficult to accurately assess Goff based on one game. In an offense that looked as constrained as ever last weekend, the former Cal star threw just five passes that traveled more than 10 yards through the air. Moving forward, the Rams’ hopes for an unlikely playoff push will depend largely on Goff’s ability to stretch the field more than Case Keenum, who threw nine touchdowns against 11 interceptions and was clearly miscast as a full-time starter.

But as flawed as he was, Keenum did have a connection with the Rams’ leading receiver. Dating back to last season, Britt had played 14 games with Keenum under center, more than anyone else in his career except former Titans quarterback Jake Locker. He remains on pace to become the Rams’ first 1,000-yard receiver since Terry Holt in 2007.

“Physically, he’s feeling better than he’s ever felt,” said Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who coached the Titans when they drafted Britt 30th overall in 2009.

Last month, Britt said that he and Keenum had gotten so comfortable with each other that they could communicate with a single look. Getting that familiar with Goff, who did not get a full offseason’s worth of first-team reps, won’t be accomplished overnight.

“It’s going to take that extra time in the classroom, that extra time on the field,” Britt said this week. “To tell you the truth, in camp, he was putting in the work, the extra time on our routes. He tries to get in after practice. That’s something you don’t see a lot of rooks do.”

Britt’s seven targets against Miami still tied for the team lead, though his 43 yards resulted in a season-low 8.6 yards per reception. Given time and reps, he still figures to be Goff’s most dependable weapon.

More concerning is the continued disappearance of Tavon Austin, whom the Rams just inked to a four-year, $42 million extension. The breakout that Fisher kept insisting was coming has yet to materialize: the former first-round pick is averaging just 43.7 scrimmage yards per game, down almost 13 yards from last season; his catch rate of 53.3 percent is a career low; he has only scored twice.

After a three-game stretch that saw him receive 29 targets, Austin has only seen 11 passes come his way this month. He has pulled in only one pass from Goff, gaining most of the 21 yards after the catch.

“He’s got to create separation,” offensive coordinator Rob Boras said. “We’ve got to find a way to get it to him in space and let him use his ability for it – and at the same time not get it to him when everybody is expecting us to get it to him.”

“The way they’re playing me on defense, they’re taking me away,” Austin added. “It doesn’t really bother me. I can do other stuff on the field to try to get us to win.

“Just try to stay patient. Don’t get too mad about it.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Britt is averaging, just under 5 receptions a game and 15 yds per rec./ 73.6 per game! If he can pick up 7 receptions in this game he'll have no problem getting 100 + Yards! JMHO!
{ He has 49 rec. for 736 yards/ a 15.0 aver. w/ a Long of 47 Yards and 3 TD's}

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jared Goff, take note: Rookie QBs have thrived in Superdome
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orlean...ake-note-rookie-qbs-have-thrived-in-superdome

METAIRIE, La. -- Jared Goff should be in over his head Sunday, right? The Los Angeles Rams’ rookie quarterback is making his first road start in the NFL in the loud, unfriendly confines of the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

Recent history suggests Goff will feel a lot more welcome than he should. The New Orleans Saints have done an awful job of making rookies feel uncomfortable in the Dome.

Worse yet, they are a stunning 6-12 in their last 18 home games.

Last year, Jameis Winston made his first NFL road start in New Orleans and won. Later in the season, Marcus Mariota threw four TDs in a win in the Superdome. In 2012, rookie Robert Griffin III and second-year pro Colin Kaepernick each made his first NFL road start in New Orleans and won.

When I asked Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan about that history, I started to give him an out, saying, “I know that’s a small sample size ...”

Jordan interrupted: “No. That wasn’t that small of a sample size. That was pretty accurate.”

“We’ve gotta create pressure, havoc. ... We have to make him super uncomfortable,” said Jordan, who has been playing some of the best football of any defensive end in the NFL over the past couple months.

Jordan said that doesn’t just mean heavy blitzes or even sacks. He said the Miami Dolphins’ defensive line did a great job last week of getting pressures, hurries and hits on Goff in his first NFL start (a 14-10 Dolphins win). And “we have to emulate that formula,” Jordan said.

The Saints defense has quietly been playing some very good football over the past two months after ranking among one of the league’s worst units over the past two years and the first three weeks of this season. They rank fifth in the NFL in opponents’ Total QBR (57.0) since Week 4, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They rank first in the NFL in opponents’ red-zone percentage (33.3 percent) since Week 7. They have eight sacks over the past two weeks.

“My outlook is, ‘Don’t overthink it with a rookie QB,’” Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro said. “Understand this is his second start, it’s on the road. We don’t need to trick ourselves. We just need to do what we do and execute what we do. We don’t want to get all exotic all of a sudden. Because our simple looks with [defensive coordinator Dennis Allen] that we do are already exotic looks. ...

"And we know our fan base is gonna be behind us. Any time you go on the road with a crowd like ours, the environment’s gonna affect the game, and we understand that. That’s probably one of the hardest transitions for a rookie to make, going on the road, using a different snap count – a silent snap count, and executing. So we understand that, but at the same time, we’re gonna stick to our game plan.”

Todd Gurley in check. The 2015 Offensive Rookie of the Year is having a surprisingly quiet season behind a struggling offensive line, with just 59 rushing yards per game and four touchdowns.

“But he’s an elite back,” Vaccaro said. “You saw what he did last year. He’s an All-Pro, everybody understands that. So he’s going against eight-man boxes, nine-man boxes every time.”

The Rams didn’t ask Goff to do too much last week. He completed 17 of 31 passes for 134 yards with no touchdowns, no interceptions, one sack and four rushes for 11 yards.

It was almost enough to win, but the Rams blew a 10-0 lead over the final five minutes.

“I thought he handled everything pretty well last weekend,” Saints coach Asshole Face said. “The thing that I saw when I watched it is, I thought he did a pretty good job avoiding and creating a little bit outside the pocket, rushing for a first down. I thought he handled it pretty well.”

The Saints took a long look at Goff themselves before the draft, inviting him for a visit to New Orleans, mostly in the event that he slipped in the draft, since they weren’t interested in paying the price it would have cost to move up from No. 12.

Both Jordan and Vaccaro said they recognized Goff’s arm talent on tape and know the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder is capable of making big throws. They both said he was “the No. 1 pick for a reason.” Jordan said he saw some escapability – a spin move he called “ Tony Romo-esque.” He also said Goff has low trajectory on his passes, which the defensive line needs to take advantage of by trying to bat down some passes.

“He’s a Cal guy, so you know he’s gonna be an elite processor – something like a wizard,” said Jordan, a Cal alum himself. “I wouldn’t call him Aaron Rodgers, but he could get there in a couple years.

“And as a Cal guy to a Cal guy, I feel like it’s my job to welcome him to the league.”

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm only sorry JL isn't going to play. I would have loved to see TG drag him 6 or 8 yds for a 1st down every time he carried the ball.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We have two Teams that are 4-6 Fighting for there Lives in this game! I think it's going to get Bloody before it's Over!! BUT OF COURSE THE RAMS WILL WIN! Go Goff Go!!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Just don't run past the first down marker and you might get something thrown your way, Kenny ... Jared isn't allowed to throw farther than that!

tempests

Hall of Fame
He remains on pace to become the Rams’ first 1,000-yard receiver since Terry Holt in 2007.

“Physically, he’s feeling better than he’s ever felt,” said Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who coached the Titans when they drafted Britt 30th overall in 2009

Even more unbelievably, he'll be the first receiver on a Jeff Fisher team to crack 800 yards since 2004.

Throw a Pro Bowl vote his way. By far his most productive season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Saints defense has quietly been playing some very good football over the past two months after ranking among one of the league’s worst units over the past two years and the first three weeks of this season. They rank fifth in the NFL in opponents’ Total QBR (57.0) since Week 4, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They rank first in the NFL in opponents’ red-zone percentage (33.3 percent) since Week 7. They have eight sacks over the past two weeks.
Really? They're 20th in yards and 30th in points allowed...
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense
bunch of winning teams low on this list..Oakland, Washington, Dallas, Atl....strange...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just don't run past the first down marker and you might get something thrown your way, Kenny ... Jared isn't allowed to throw farther than that!
I think on a 2nd or 3rd and 1 they may just squeak by the 1st down marker

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gotta feeling Brian Quick has a big game, he's been very close and his number should remind Saint fans of yesteryear.

jap

Legend
I am much more concerned with The Mighty One re-connecting with Drew Brees, but I digress . . .

Kenny should get a lot of attention today, although he ought to garner his share of balls. It is high time Quickie & Tavon show why they have been starting. I wouldn't mind seeing Kendricks & Higbee field balls in the middle of the field either. If the passing game gets going downtown, the Express! will make them pay.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think on a 2nd or 3rd and 1 they may just squeak by the 1st down marker

If they make the first down, Fisher will be chewing their ass out on the sideline just like he did to the DL a few weeks ago when they made a critical stop against the Jets.