Rams keeping Robert Quinn fresh, and it's paying off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/36016/rams-keeping-robert-quinn-fresh-and-its-paying-off

Rams keeping Robert Quinn fresh, and it's paying off
Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

A man named Matt Longacre is the Los Angeles Rams' sack leader, with four of them through the first seven weeks.

You may not know who he is, and you probably should.

Longacre, an undrafted free agent in his third NFL season, is the Rams' primary backup at outside linebacker. And his productive play is the central reason the Rams feel so comfortable spelling Robert Quinn, the two-time Pro Bowler who's starting to resemble his old self.

Quinn generated four quarterback pressures in Sunday's 33-0 blowout win over the division-rival Arizona Cardinals. He totaled just four pressures through the season's first four weeks, but has generated 12 of them over the last three, tied for fifth-most among 3-4 outside linebackers during that stretch, according to numbers compiled by Pro Football Focus.

Aaron Donald is back to his dominant ways after a summer-long holdout, Michael Brockers has benefited from a move to defensive end, John Johnson's emergence has changed the dynamic of the secondary, and Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron have settled into their roles as inside linebackers under Wade Phillips' system.

But one of the biggest reasons for this defense's turnaround stems from Quinn's resurgence as a pass-rusher, which is why the Rams have been so judicious with his snaps.

"He's got great get-off; he plays with great effort," Rams coach Sean McVay said. "When you play the way that he does, and you have some confidence in the Matt Longacres and those guys that can step up when they come in for him, you want to keep him fresh. I think we're doing a good job."

jap

Legend
The Mighty One had the fastest "get-off" in the entire league four years ago, before his injury woes. It would be really sweet to see him get back to that level. He and Aaron "The Beast!" Donald could easily become the best 1-2 defensive punch in the entire NFL.

Flint

Pro Bowler
The Mighty One had the fastest "get-off" in the entire league four years ago, before his injury woes. It would be really sweet to see him get back to that level. He and Aaron "The Beast!" Donald could easily become the best 1-2 defensive punch in the entire NFL.

That was evident on Donald's sack, Palmer steps up to avoid Quinn who's turning the corner and runs right into guess who, who plants him in the turf.

Psycho_X

Legend
That was evident on Donald's sack, Palmer steps up to avoid Quinn who's turning the corner and runs right into guess who, who plants him in the turf.

Aye, that is basically Quinn's only job along with setting the edge if it's a run play. He was playing the run about as awful as he could the first 4 games. Quinn, and the whole defense, have really tightened their stuff up these last few games. It's been fun to watch. With OBJ out I can't wait to see what they do to the Giants.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wade's rotation of Defensive Players has been Brilliant! And the way we are coming-on it wouldn't surprise me if the Rams ended up with 60 Sacks this Season!!(y);):D

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tyrun Walker at NT has made a huge impact. 2 passes batted down vs Cards, he lets Brockers move over to DE and makes more plays. Walker's been a nice addition in the DL rotation.

Ants

Starter
I think the write-up should have been about Longacre rather than Quinn, but whatever. As long as they all play well, it doesn't really matter. :pillowfight:

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
"But one of the biggest reasons for this defense's turnaround stems from Quinn's resurgence as a pass-rusher, which is why the Rams have been so judicious with his snaps."

LOL what? Where is stone cold steve Austin when I need him. WHAT!?

I am loving the way this defense is playing but this quote is ridiculous. Quinn is still just a body out there at this point. Maybe a pressure here or there but no consistency. Love the depth of Longacre, Fox, Smart, Walker. Donald of course is a machine and Brockers is having a pro bowl season.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Anyone else notice that Smart defeated a double team at the nose and tackled Adrian Freakin Peterson and Quinn is the one getting this press? Walker has made plays with limited snaps 8 v AZ but so has Smart w 14 v AZ.

Quinn had 34 v Longacre w 15 but I’d like to see like 28 v 21. Longacre has more sacks in less than half the attempts. Someone please do the math Wade.

jap

Legend

Quinn had a similar rapport with Chris Long, but both Robert and Aaron are quicker & faster than Chris, which is saying an awful lot because Chris was really, really quick.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I love how the Rams are rotating their players, Walker had 2 passes knocked down in like 8 snaps. People who did not see Smart play in College may not have realized just how good he is, he dominated games when he was at Tulane

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think the write-up should have been about Longacre rather than Quinn, but whatever. As long as they all play well, it doesn't really matter. :pillowfight:
Yep! Rams theme this year, "We Not Me!" It's a Winner!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I think Quinn's finally acclimating to the OLB spot and recovering from previous injuries. Happy for him, dude just plays football with zero complaints regardless of circumstances. Hope he gets back to elite form

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

And I was thinking it should have been more about Wade and his LB'er coaches Joe Berry & Shula Jr.

Myself and others were mentioning how Longacre & our defense would prosper with him receiving more snaps, especially taking over on obvious rushing downs. Managing Quinn's time spent on the field and in which defensive sets he's been involved with has him better rested and improved his quality of play, ... i'm doubting whether he'll ever be a 3 down LB again, ... or 3 down 4-3 DE again for that matter. jmo.

Last edited: